PDA

View Full Version : Which powder?

Ptrlcop
08-26-15, 20:51
So I have been slowly acquiring all the equipment I need to start reloading and am finally ready to start. My reason for reloading is to be able to be able to shoot higher volume than what I shoot with loaded ammo. I will not be the guy that obsesses over load development. I will be loading primarily 147gr coated lead 9mm to try and match poa/poi to my Winchester RA9T duty ammo. I will also be loading .38 special with 158 SWC coated lead but in much smaller numbers and more for fun than serious shooting.

With all that said I would like to put up a enough powder to get me into mid 2018(In case the wrong person gets elected and we have another run on components). Looking around, the powders I can acquire in the needed quantities are Advantage #5, Ramshot silhouette, Titegroup, and possibly Ramshot zip. I have ruled out Titegroup because I am new at this and it has a very narrow window of loads and I want some forgiveness of minor errors in charge weight. Cost seems to be about the same for the same weights of powder but I'm not sure if I would be burning more of one than the other per charge weight.

Gatorshark
08-26-15, 21:01
You sound like you've thought this out. With that, if you are just a little cautious with your quality control during reloading, titegroup is an excellent powder. I use it in just about all pistol cals. Don't let the nay sayers shy you away from it. If titegroup is what you can stock up on, don't pass it up.

texasgunhand
08-26-15, 23:37
Depends on what you need theres tons of powder... I use win 231, power pistol and unique. You can load 9mm and .38 with any of these including titegroup.

Since your planning to buy a large amount anyway I suggest buying a couple of 1 pounders and working up a load that meets your wants and needs. Really the only way to do this is loading up some sample rounds and go shoot them. You have to find what you and your guns like , then stockpile.

You can find what you need but you like me may have to drive a bit to go find it. Call around ,you would be suprised at the places you can find powder. Its around right now , get the best you can get.

anachronism
08-27-15, 19:28
Winchester Super Field (WSF) is one of the best high(er) velocity powders out there for heavy 9mm. I use it with 147 Hornadys for bowling pins, as do a lot of guys in my area.

noylj
08-29-15, 22:29
The best powder I have found for 9x19 in terms of accuracy is Power Pistol, followed by Silhouette and True Blue.
None of my 9x19s like powders faster than AA5 (goal: <2" group at 25 yards).
Have you slugged your barrels to determine actual groove diameter to verify that the lead bullets will be at least 0.001" larger and checked the throats in your cylinder to be sure the bullets will be a snug slip fit? The coating may help prevent leading, but using the right size bullet is still important. Have you tested a small sample of the bullets to be sure your guns even "like" them?

fowler
09-02-15, 05:23
The best powder I have found for 9x19 in terms of accuracy is Power Pistol, followed by Silhouette and True Blue.
None of my 9x19s like powders faster than AA5 (goal: <2" group at 25 yards).
Have you slugged your barrels to determine actual groove diameter to verify that the lead bullets will be at least 0.001" larger and checked the throats in your cylinder to be sure the bullets will be a snug slip fit? The coating may help prevent leading, but using the right size bullet is still important. Have you tested a small sample of the bullets to be sure your guns even "like" them?

Unique !

noylj
09-02-15, 19:20
Unique is a great powder, but it hasn't been very good in any of my 9x19s--Herco is much better, but not in the top three or so.
Certainly a good powder to have on hand and test.

Blayglock
09-02-15, 19:32
Titegroup will be smokey with those bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nate89
09-02-15, 20:19
I load titegroup in 9mm with 125 grain coated lead bullets. Bare lead and titegroup will produce lots of smoke, but I have noticed no more smoke with coated lead (ie. HiTec, powder coat, etc.) than I have with berrys and xtreme plated. I would also encourage you to not rule out Titegroup. A double charge in a 9 case is VERY obvious if you are watching, even with titegroup. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and many other calibers with no issues, and primarily used titegroup. With an even 4.0 grain charge under a 125 grain bullet, I get 1750 rounds per pound, and it works in literally every gun I shoot it through. We got some 8lb kegs in stock local, and that equates to about 14k rounds, even more with 147 grain loads. That being said, 9mm is a very good round to start loading. There are lots of options for powder. My advice is to find something that works good enough for you, and stick with it.

texasgunhand
09-02-15, 22:45
Thats really the key .... Pay attention to what your doing,double check everything and you won't have problems.

You are the quality control so do a good job. You need to do this with any powder you choose.

Some calibers you save alot but for 9mm .223 etc you save a little bit. But for 6mm remington I can load about 5 boxs for the price of one box of factory thats only around once a year. This is why I got into reloading.

Unique works good and it's hard to mess up , I think a double charge in 9mm is overflowing. But it doesn't meter great outa a powder thrower. Titegroup burns hot, many say it heats up a barrel pretty good but a little bit goes a long way. I still say the best thing to do is buy some one pounders and work up some test loads. Find the one that you like and that shoots well , then stockpile. The left over one pounders you use up first, good or bad they will still make good target plinkers.

MStarmer
09-21-15, 15:59
I don't know what you ended up using but you are really just going to have to load with what you can find as far as powders go. It seems they change with the wind direction which ones are available. I saw W231 and Hp-38 on the shelves of Cabela's today, haven't seen those powders in a few years!