PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Upgrades

tinman44
07-25-08, 22:06
I found myself a Springfield 1911a1 i'm thinking i'll upgrade the hammer, atm i cant think of anything else and i really have no idea when it comes to 1911's. Do you guys have suggestions as what MUST be upgraded. For instance on ar15's you have to stake gas key and castle nut and get h buffer and so on. What on this stock pistol besides ammo and mags (already purchased(and damn 45 is high)) should i do to this pistola? Also i searched the forums and couldnt find a thread like this. i'll add pictures monday.

John Fettes
07-25-08, 22:14
How does it shoot & what is it for?

John

evilmonkey
07-26-08, 02:27
Shoot about 300 rds through it and see if it malfunctions! You can tell a lot about a pistol and what it needs by a malfunction! I bought a used springfield loaded and shot 400 rds and it had a few problems with extracting the empty shell casings so I replaced the extractor and the problem went away! Point being, do what you need to make it function the way it should

tinman44
07-26-08, 08:53
How does it shoot & what is it for?

John

picking it up sunday. (atm its)this will be my ccw as i sold my glock23 to get it. i will probably pick up a g19 for nightstand and probably carry this until i get a hk for carry. i will always train with it next to my rifle though so if shtf its my primary everything else is backup.

Fail-Safe
07-26-08, 10:15
This is your bible: http://10-8performance.com/id11.html

tinman44
07-26-08, 10:49
i read where a guy on 1911 forums said he had one he put almost 20k into, how do you do that? i dont want to mind you i just dont understand how its possible.

RD62
07-26-08, 19:48
What model Springer?

I'd swap out the FLGR if so equipped for a GI guide rod and plug. Other than that shoot it and see what failures if any you have and what if anything you dislike. Ambi safety, extended thumb safety, etc.

-RD62

ToddG
07-27-08, 00:10
picking it up sunday. atm its my ccw as i sold my glock23 to get it.

A gun you've never shot before is your new CCW?

A Springfield 1911 you've never shot before is your new trusted CCW?

:confused:

evilmonkey
07-27-08, 02:17
people take there CCW weapon way to lightly!!! The glock 17 has a bad ass reputation for reliability but I still shot over 3500 rds through it before I started to CCW it! Run it through it paces before you do something like that:confused:

Armati
07-27-08, 11:31
This is your bible: http://10-8performance.com/id11.html

Thanks for the link. That answered nearly all of my 1911 questions. I want to do a 1911A1 service grade+ build and I really didn't know now to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I still have one 1911 question. What about heavy conical bbls that eliminate the need for the bbl bushing? There is at least one type that I know of that does not require machining of the frame. However, just like 10-8 recommends against really tight bushings and single piece guide rods, I want still want a service grade gun that can be field stripped without special tools.

Gunut
07-27-08, 12:13
Opening up a can of ideas . Some are good and then you have others . 10-8 has some of the best . I know people with highdollar 1911s and changed to there type of sights which kimber SIS look like . In competion a failure will take you out of 1st , on the street big problem . No guide rod . high grip saftey makes the gun more comfortable to shoot . Some would only have ser,70s trigger .
Dont know what you want to end up with , there are like harleys . can do allot to them . Good parts inside help too

Bigun
07-28-08, 04:45
people take there CCW weapon way to lightly!!! The glock 17 has a bad ass reputation for reliability but I still shot over 3500 rds through it before I started to CCW it! Run it through it paces before you do something like that:confused: Just as a warning my Springer Loaded stainless was a single shot for the first 50 rounds. The disconector was dragging on the slide and the extractor tension was to tight from the factory. After some polishing and a minor extractor adjustment it has been humming right along. I just passed the 1,000 rd mark with the pistol and it hasnt had a stoppage of any kind since the first 50 rounds.

tinman44
07-28-08, 07:03
A gun you've never shot before is your new CCW?

A Springfield 1911 you've never shot before is your new trusted CCW?

:confused:

I had to sell my glock to get it, i have no choice and i havent started carrying it yet and have put about 100 through as of today, i love it. seller said it had maybe 200 rounds through it and it looked that way, very clean parkerized with no wear. so at 300 rnds there have been no failures. I probably wont be carrying this often as i'm at home work or school but it will stay near me at all times. i have a snub nose 38 special i will be carrying for now. i plan to put about 200 more rounds through it and assume its had 500 so break in achieved. i have already decided i need some better sights, a larger safty, extended mag release, micarta grips, mccormack mags, and maybe a match barrel. otherwise i'm happy with it. ejects straight up i imagine that will change with more ammo through it. i'll get some pictures later today i have a test this afternoon, i'm 30 and this is not my first time firing one, just first time owning one i've always wanted one and was done with the 40mm(g23). i plan to get a g19 for nightstand.

Bigun
07-28-08, 13:45
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/bigun_01/SpringerLoaded1-1.jpg You mean something like this Loaded as a finished product.

Bigun
07-28-08, 13:47
Or maybe like my worked over Milspec stainlesshttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/bigun_01/TOYS2012.jpg

tinman44
07-28-08, 20:38
anyone got any idea what it would cost me to get this gun milled for different sights? i'm probably just going to keep this stock and buy a loaded version or a colt next year.

theJanitor
07-30-08, 14:50
http://www.novaksights.com/novak_sights.htm#PURCHASING_OPTIONS

toddackerman
07-30-08, 16:37
I had to sell my glock to get it, i have no choice and i havent started carrying it yet and have put about 100 through as of today, i love it. seller said it had maybe 200 rounds through it and it looked that way, very clean parkerized with no wear. so at 300 rnds there have been no failures. I probably wont be carrying this often as i'm at home work or school but it will stay near me at all times. i have a snub nose 38 special i will be carrying for now. i plan to put about 200 more rounds through it and assume its had 500 so break in achieved. i have already decided i need some better sights, a larger safty, extended mag release, micarta grips, mccormack mags, and maybe a match barrel. otherwise i'm happy with it. ejects straight up i imagine that will change with more ammo through it. i'll get some pictures later today i have a test this afternoon, i'm 30 and this is not my first time firing one, just first time owning one i've always wanted one and was done with the 40mm(g23). i plan to get a g19 for nightstand.

Tinman...you're still not getting it.

With a 1911 you need to put 1,000 rounds through it with your CCW ammo with zero malfunctions before trusting it. The fact that your ejection pattern is "Straight Up" tells me your extractor needs tuning. You don't need an extended mag release, you need to learn the proper technique with the 1911. It's not a Glock. You also don't know that you need "McCormick" mags. They don't work in all 1911's as don't Wilson's, Colt's etc. You have to test each one with plenty of rounds to make that call...and this means each and every Mag. Not just a "Brand".

I have 30 years and >100,000 rounds of experience with the 1911 as do many other forum members. Listen and learn...it's free!

Lastly, why would you use another platform for the "Nigh stand"? You have the ultimate fighting pistol platform in the world. Shoot it, then modify it, and then train with it like your life depends on it as it very well may someday.

STS
07-30-08, 20:46
Just shoot it before you mod it.

IRONFINS
07-30-08, 23:10
Ultimate night stand weapon................the 12-guage shotgun, cheap and reliable, I prefer the Remington 870............. point and click......great for those low light level times when you have sleep in your eyes and just got to defend the family. Besides the rack of a shotgun is a scary thing to most.........just a thought...........

tinman44
07-31-08, 10:33
Tinman...you're still not getting it.

With a 1911 you need to put 1,000 rounds through it with your CCW ammo with zero malfunctions before trusting it. The fact that your ejection pattern is "Straight Up" tells me your extractor needs tuning. You don't need an extended mag release, you need to learn the proper technique with the 1911. It's not a Glock. You also don't know that you need "McCormick" mags. They don't work in all 1911's as don't Wilson's, Colt's etc. You have to test each one with plenty of rounds to make that call...and this means each and every Mag. Not just a "Brand".

I have 30 years and >100,000 rounds of experience with the 1911 as do many other forum members. Listen and learn...it's free!

Lastly, why would you use another platform for the "Nigh stand"? You have the ultimate fighting pistol platform in the world. Shoot it, then modify it, and then train with it like your life depends on it as it very well may someday.

ok ok, first i will say i dont carry often as i'm at work school or home with the kids. i'm always within reach of firearms at home that i have plenty of experience with. i made the switch to 1911 and probably wont go back to anything else but we'll see, i've already made an offer on a colt :p anyways i have a 10rnd chip mccormack that came with the deal, the factory mag hasnt had any malfunctions yet though only about 100 through it at this time. so before i make any other mods i'll shoot the shit out of it, though i still dont like the sights. and thanks btw for the passion in your answers, i will listen, this site helped me choose my ar15 and i cant be happier.

tinman44
07-31-08, 10:43
also how do you adjust my extractor?

ToddG
07-31-08, 11:44
Shoot it until:

You have 1,000 trouble-free rounds through it, preferably much (if not all) using your preferred ccw/self-defense ammo; or,
You have identified consistent stoppages or malfunctions, at which point send it to someone to get tweaked.

Your gun may run perfectly. It may not. Don't assume it needs fixing until something proves to be a problem -- e.g., your extractor tension seems to be off -- but don't assume it will run like a sewing machine, either.

tinman44
08-01-08, 08:00
i have put about 100 rnds through it at this time with 1 failure to feed malfunction, it was after the first rnd in a mag probably 50rnds into my first rnds. got some 8rnd chip mcormacks as all i had was factory mag. also the ftf was a fmj so i dont think the feedramp caused it, i have fired fmj and jhp. so since the guy i bought it from said it had > 200 rnds should i call this the first 50? or round it out at 200?

ToddG
08-01-08, 08:54
Anything done to/with/for the gun prior to it landing in your hands is myth. Testing began when you put round #1 through the gun. Now you've had a stoppage already. Suggest you finish with your 1k before carrying it, and see how/if it is running then.