PDA

View Full Version : LaRue IronDot

LettersFromEarth
07-26-08, 01:25
Okay, folks--anyone running a LaRue IronDot as their main sighting device? Ive got one (PF) that I havent done much with but the more I play w/it the more likely I am to put it to use and run it in my next class (whenever that may be). It does have a good battery life, and w/it sitting in the LT mount, seems like it can handle most, if not all, missions it may be tasked. I also like the flip up ghost ring. Some have complained that it is too large and it is IF its mounted further back on the upper. But if you move it to the front of the rail I find it to be just about right (a bit of a pig to BZO, though). I could be wrong in all of this but Im sure the IronDot will be making the trip w/me on my next deployment as a backup optic if nothing else.

BTW--the little that I have used mine was at night involving a PVS-14--it worked very well for this as long as it was set in "auto" mode. Switching to the full "on" position however caused the image in the PVS to "bloom" somewhat but not too bad.

LettersFromEarth
08-05-08, 17:17
Crickets

Magsz
08-05-08, 18:23
I think you're hearing crickets because most people looking for an MRD are now most likely using an AP Micro. I really havent seen too many of these floating around the net or down here in Florida at any of the ranges i frequent. (which is a damn small sampling)

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 18:26
I think you're hearing crickets because most people looking for an MRD are now most likely using an AP Micro.

+1

I do have experience running the PF version of the IronDot on an AK and found it to be unsatisfactory - not the mount (which was fine) but the optic itself. I just wanted to be clear so as not to hurt the war effort.

TOrrock
08-05-08, 20:25
+1
I just wanted to be clear so as not to hurt the war effort.

Damn dude. *shakes head at your war effort damaging.....*

Robb Jensen
08-05-08, 20:53
+1

I do have experience running the PF version of the IronDot on an AK and found it to be unsatisfactory - not the mount (which was fine) but the optic itself. I just wanted to be clear so as not to hurt the war effort.

[Larry the Cable Guy]I don't care who you are, that's funny right there![/Larry the Cable Guy]

LettersFromEarth
08-05-08, 22:26
What, I'm on TOS now?!?! LOL Dont worry, I'll make sure my IronDot doesnt sully the "War Effort". But a little bit of 'how' and 'why' from "Statler & Waldorf" regarding their exp with the IronDot would be welcomed by me. :-)

I do agree that the Micro AimPoint is, for now, the end all/be all in 1x optics. I was looking at them myself but until the price goes down or my pay goes up its not likely to happen anytime this year. I could always sell the IronDot I guess. Lol Thanks gents.

ETA--thekatar,
I read your post (at least I think it was you) regarding running the IronDot in a class and finding the "dot" not being bright enough. I was just hoping for a little more info if you remember that is (battery type, exposed or covered firing line/postion, ect.). I dont have alot of time sunk into it and the only $$$ out of my pocket as far as this optic goes has been for the power cells. So, while free IS a good thing Im also wondering how good THIS free is. Cheers.

CarlosDJackal
08-07-08, 09:45
Can anyone tell me what the heck a "Larue IronDot" is? :confused:

tiger seven
08-07-08, 10:09
Can anyone tell me what the heck a "Larue IronDot" is? :confused:

The IronDot is LaRue's mount/protective housing for mini red dot sights. There are different versions to fit the Docter Optic, the Burris FastFire and the Pride Fowler sight.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Mini+Red+Dots+%2F+Bases

Derek

LettersFromEarth
08-07-08, 15:12
CarlosDJackal; Can anyone tell me what the heck a "Larue IronDot" is? :confused:

The IronDot was/is a mount put out by LaRue Tactical for what may be called "Gen-1" MRDs. This mount allowed the use of these MRDs as a Primary Sighting Device and also included a fold down rear BUIS that was intergrated into the mount as well. IIRC--the mount itself was around $150.00 w/out the MRD and with the optic was somewhere around $350.00 and up depending on the MRD you picked. Keep in mind that for that price you got an optic, a mount to put it in, and a BUIS. So they were/are a pretty good deal for someone not holding a lot green backs.
Im still figuring out the one I basicly lucked into. Its the Pride & Fowler unit and so far seems good for what my time with it has allowed for. I got the MRD to mount on an ACOG NSN optic but as I didnt much care for the NSN when the chance came for me to turn it into supply and go back to an M68 I did so. That left me w/ the PF MRD and nothing to use it for until a buddy of mine got the LT mount for it and with him owing me a fave or two...I got the mount. I'll post any further "adventures" w/the IronDot as time permits. I kinda like it, though (The Micro AimPoints are the shiz-nik and the way forward with these kind of optics but as of right now a little to $$$ for me).

AMMOTECH
08-07-08, 17:27
:)

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/jpointcloseup.jpg
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P7157694coin.jpg

LettersFromEarth
08-07-08, 19:14
AMMOTECH; :)

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/jpointcloseup.jpg
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P7157694coin.jpg

Yeah, kinda cool. I dont know how it would fair in a good Mid-West rainstorm, though. Hell, it might be just an effort to turn a turd into toothpaste... I dont have any exp with the Burris FastFire or the Doctor Optic version of same so they could be the way to go if you like the concept. The Pride & Fowler is nice as the unit doesnt have to be removed from the LaRue mount to change the battery. BTW--I shot the Air Force TRC today using the IronDot and yes--the dot wasnt always able to keep up with lighting cond on the range and was SOMETIMES harder to pick up ( I could always see it, though) then I'd just trans to the Irons and life was CODE 10.

KevinB
08-08-08, 02:27
I have an Iron Dot, and three T1 Micro's in Larue mounts.

I would use the Micro's before the ID as the optic is vastly superior...

Prior to FJB lending me a T1 in Larue mount for my Hk416 - I had the Iron Dot on it -- (Dr Optic unit not the PF) it was nice -- but not T1 nice...

LettersFromEarth
08-09-08, 18:56
AimPoint T1's / H1's kick arse! And G&R Tactical "package deals" are looking better and better all the time but... I am poor. Why am I poor? Oh yeah... Im married! I still like my IronDot.

chad
08-09-08, 21:08
Okay, folks--anyone running a LaRue IronDot as their main sighting device?

Read the Review (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9862&highlight=fowler) by Lt Torres? He has done the most comprehensive review that I have read.

Chad

LettersFromEarth
08-09-08, 22:09
Chad,
Good review and glad to see your post.

I passed around the ID today to my class of mixed exp shooters. They were training with A2's but a question was asked regarding "Red Dots" so I passed around my M68 and the IronDot for inspection by the students. Again, some of the students were new and more then a few were "old" shooters but most agreed that having a RDS type sight could be an advantage for Mil/LE/Civ trigger pullers. When the subject of price came up for these optics, though... Here in The Mid West things are possibly a bit more "off" as far as the economy goes and price now becomes a major factor, right or wrong, in the choice(s) we make regarding gear. Of the 21 shooters I had on line only one was full time LE (and he UQ'd!!!) but all felt that since $$$ was a main consideration the IronDot was the way to go. Now take the fiscal consideration away then the M68 beat out the IronDot as the optic of choice. Later.