PDA

View Full Version : Chest Rigs Decision.

ChetPunisher
08-30-15, 07:21
I'm looking at doing some classes in the future and I'd like to get a chest rig. I could spend a little on the Condor Ronin or about $100 more for the Haley set up. I could take that money and spend it on ammo.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Ronin rig? I know Condor has improved their quality as of lately.

What say you?

bsoileau24
08-30-15, 08:07
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=155209

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nightstalker865
08-30-15, 08:36
The HSP D3 rig is hard to beat for an out of the box setup. You might want to consider buying the heavy version and just using the inserts for AR mags. This would give you a very versatile rig that would cover about any platform you could run in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellybean
08-30-15, 10:29
The HSP D3 rig is hard to beat for an out of the box setup. You might want to consider buying the heavy version and just using the inserts for AR mags. This would give you a very versatile rig that would cover about any platform you could run in the future.

Chet- unless you have a need to carry more "stuff", I would seriously consider investing in this option.
If you can live with the bit of extra space in the mag pouches, since they're .308, the D3 Heavy is actually not a bad looking general purpose "light" setup for range, or maybe a SHTF vehicle kit. I haven't been able to get hands-on one yet, but it looks like you could use the small zip GP for a basic IFAK, and then the large GP they were actually smart and but some elastic organizational bands into, so you could carry a multi tool, spare handheld light, batteries, snacks, map, basically whatever you might need to fit there.

And of course, down the road, if you find 4 mags isn't quite enough, or don't have enough GP space, Haley puts out some attachable accessories to plus up either space.
Honestly, if it did a couple things slightly differently for my needs, I would have one in a heartbeat.

Of course the Mayflower UW or 5.56 D3 are not bad options either. I just (personally) hate the small flapped pouches on both of them.
Frankly, one of the best options you could do would be to buy an ATS "slick" all-MOLLE, and build you're own, since it seems like you're leaning in that direction anyway. This is hands down one of the best, and most versatile MOLLE chest rigs you can lay your hands on and they're a whopping $60[?].
So this way, if you're like me and hate pre-sized permanently attached pouches, you can get everything set up "just so" how you want it.
Further, you can spend the money in bits and pieces to build it, instead of $200 in one lump sum.

But anyway you go, I would think twice before putting money into condor stuff. Their quality *may* have improved, but it's is still a far cry from where the other quality tactical gear companies are at. Not to mention, you're paying good money for clunky outdated mediocre designs.

Another thing that may help here, is perhaps the OP can give a little more info about the budget for gear, as well as exactly what level of stuff he wants to carry...

ChetPunisher
08-30-15, 11:15
Thanks for the replies. My budget flexible. Which is why I gave two ends of the spectrum. I really like the Haley setup, but I'm not sure it is a necessary purchase for my level of experience or knowledge. The money saved I can use for ammo.

Thanks for the other option. I agree that the flaps are a no go for me.

docsherm
08-30-15, 11:56
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=155209

Read that and ask questions.

ChetPunisher
08-30-15, 12:01
That thread has already been suggested, but thanks anyways,

After reading that thread, I think I'll go with th x harness and a mav. Wondering what the benefits of a split vs a single mav might be.

Inkslinger
08-30-15, 13:09
If you want black, SKD has a Pig UCR in their demo section for $80. Also, if this is just for a carbine class maybe take a look at some belt mounted mag pouches.
http://www.skdtac.com/product-p/dmo.380.htm

docsherm
08-30-15, 13:24
If you just want something for a class then look at Blue Force Gears's Ten-Speed Chest Rig. Use that and then figure out what you want. Jumping right into an expensive single purpose chest rig in not the answer. Also if Condor is now making their gear twice as good it is still well below any reasonable standard of quality for gear that is meant for anything other than airsoft.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-m4-chest-rig.html

Then look at setting up a rig like the MAV after you know what you want.

Is this your first shooting course?

Wake27
08-30-15, 13:56
The Haley rig is supposed to be pretty decent but look into Mayflower as well, they have a lot more options. If you'd like to keep it at $100 or so, the SKD PIG UCR is hard to beat and way better than anything from Condor IMO.

bsoileau24
08-30-15, 14:38
Read that and ask questions.
I never said thanks for posting but after reading that thread I made a choice . I picked the mayflower gen 4.

Kyohte
08-30-15, 14:39
The SKD UCR is a lot of product for the money. It is far from perfect but works very well in a typical class environment.

docsherm
08-30-15, 19:39
I never said thanks for posting but after reading that thread I made a choice . I picked the mayflower gen 4.

Your welcome. Good call. It is one of my favorites.....but I have many favorites. :;):

ChetPunisher
08-30-15, 20:33
I ended up getting a PIG UCR off eBay. Thanks for all the advice.

Ledanek
08-31-15, 22:54
Disclaimer: Not LEO or Active MIL

OP, I've been in your shoes before (and still learning), may I recommend visiting the Equipment Exchange Thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?108-Equipment-Exchange) before going to eBay. You'll help M4C members recoup some of the money in gears they no longer need (for whatever reasons) and some are actually better deal than eBay. Check their Feedback if you have questions.

Take as many class as you can, this is the only way to find out, if that gear will work for you or not.
Good luck and stay safe.

I give DC3R my vote, it's holding up quite well with all my 3 classes this year. Can't wait till next year/season for more classes.

Moose-Knuckle
09-01-15, 12:14
The SKD UCR is a lot of product for the money. It is far from perfect but works very well in a typical class environment.

True that. The SKD UCR is based upon the older Eagle Ind. chest rig designed by Paul Howe. They have gone up in price, I scored all mine when they were still $89!

JCast265
10-02-15, 08:47
I had the original D3 chest rig and didn't like the storage options on it, the GP pouches were too small for much other than a light and a multitool and the stuff it pouch didn't serve a good purpose either so I sold it off.

I'm tempted by the new D3 heavy as it corrected the things I didn't like about the original, but the way I have my stuff set up now I don't really need a chest rig. A plus though is it would be a good setup to have in a go-bag or something.