PDA

View Full Version : UPS Stupidity

Wake27
08-30-15, 17:50
In my experience the post office sucks. The people that work there are almost always rude, the lines are always long, and stuff gets delayed all the time. So I usually go to the UPS store instead because even though it's more expensive, the one I'd always go to in VA had the nicest people and I would just hand them whatever I wanted shipped and they would pack it for me. Plus their store hours are much better. Well I went to the UPS store inside the PX here today to mail a Vortex scope to a member here and send my EOTech back to the factory for repair. Both of the companies make it obvious on their boxes that they are weapon accessories. So the person at the store tells me they have to be mailed at a hub instead of the UPS store and hands me the printout of their FAQ page concerning weapons (apparently they had the same issue last week so she looked it up). Turns out, any scope can be mailed without issue UNLESS IT IS DESIGNED TO BE MOUNTED TO THE GUN. So any scope ever is an issue except for spotting scopes. Dumb people make me mad and I miss the south. Sorry for the rant, but maybe this will save other people time. I've mailed all kinds of gun stuff through UPS but usually the packaging isn't so obvious and/or the ladies in VA just didn't worry about it as long as it wasn't an actual firearm. Obviously I should've gotten some plain brown boxes to put them in first but I didn't have any and really didn't think optics would be an issue.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/30/28e8f29c1d562b4bc3fa19686c4ef440.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/30/0d66e0e20b033b9fee9f79de63bc85e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital_Damage
08-30-15, 17:53
In my experience the post office sucks. The people that work there are almost always rude, the lines are always long, and stuff gets delayed all the time. So I usually go to the UPS store instead because even though it's more expensive, the one I'd always go to in VA had the nicest people and I would just hand them whatever I wanted shipped and they would pack it for me. Plus their store hours are much better. Well I went to the UPS store inside the PX here today to mail a Vortex scope to a member here and send my EOTech back to the factory for repair. Both of the companies make it obvious on their boxes that they are weapon accessories. So the person at the store tells me they have to be mailed at a hub instead of the UPS store and hands me the printout of their FAQ page concerning weapons (apparently they had the same issue last week so she looked it up). Turns out, any scope can be mailed without issue UNLESS IT IS DESIGNED TO BE MOUNTED TO THE GUN. So any scope ever is an issue except for spotting scopes. Dumb people make me mad and I miss the south. Sorry for the rant, but maybe this will save other people time. I've mailed all kinds of gun stuff through UPS but usually the packaging isn't so obvious and/or the ladies in VA just didn't worry about it as long as it wasn't an actual firearm. Obviously I should've gotten some plain brown boxes to put them in first but I didn't have any and really didn't think optics would be an issue.

The going trend here is at the hubs they will not mail a firearm for repair, unless to an FFL they have on file (goes against gunsmith rules) or the manufacture. I started shipping with FedEx instead.

Eurodriver
08-30-15, 18:04
If it makes you feel any better, the folks at the UPS hub near the airport are extremely nice and helpful. I know it's way out of your way if you're at Schofield but at least you won't have to deal with the USPS attitude.

Additionally, you know that Hawaii is really, really anti-2A (apparently they enjoy being subjugated by white liberals). I would just box the stuff up yourself from now on to avoid the hassle.

Wake27
08-30-15, 18:22
The going trend here is at the hubs they will not mail a firearm for repair, unless to an FFL they have on file (goes against gunsmith rules) or the manufacture. I started shipping with FedEx instead.

She recommended I try FedEx as well.

If it makes you feel any better, the folks at the UPS hub near the airport are extremely nice and helpful. I know it's way out of your way if you're at Schofield but at least you won't have to deal with the USPS attitude.

Additionally, you know that Hawaii is really, really anti-2A (apparently they enjoy being subjugated by white liberals). I would just box the stuff up yourself from now on to avoid the hassle.

Yeah I do. I wouldn't have been as surprised if it was any part of an actual weapon, even the furniture. But the optic is what got me. I'm just going to stash a ton of flat rate boxes at the house and use those for everything now, unless its a big deal then it will go FedEx.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-15, 19:27
I'm going to take a Magpul box and tell them it's a gay wedding cake inside and see what happens...

there is no federal law about gun PARTS is there? They seem to be mixing things up.

What's in the box? Bolt, pin, rail.

T2C
08-30-15, 19:49
UPS Stores are contract stores and have restrictions pertaining to shipping firearms and accessories. It's their company policy, nothing pertaining to the criminal code. Fortunately for me the UPS hub is only another 5 miles away.

I learned you need to pay attention to how you box a firearm accessory if you want to avoid problems. I learned this when I shipped a range bag to Bagmaster for warranty repairs and got the third degree. If it is an accessory and not a firearm, you should not have to deal with this sort of problem.

After my first experience with the UPS Store I learned to choose my words carefully. I boxed up several HK93 magazines on a Saturday right after someone in Texas sent funds to buy them. The UPS hub was closed and I went to a local UPS Store to ship them. The man behind the counter asked what was in the box and I replied "magazines." He asked "like magazines that you read? Hot Rod? Boys Life? Stuff like that?" and I replied " yeah, that's it." He shipped the magazines without any more questions.

The moral of the story is box your accessories in discreet packaging and choose your words carefully.

Bubba FAL
08-30-15, 20:14
"Don't ask, don't tell." I've shipped plenty of gun parts & accessories as machine parts. ;)

T2C
08-30-15, 20:16
"Don't ask, don't tell." I've shipped plenty of gun parts & accessories as machine parts. ;)

Well, technically they are machine parts.

sevenhelmet
08-30-15, 20:34
You shipped machine parts for a gun?! You must be making machine guns! The ATF has been dispatched to burn your house down and steal your shoelaces. :jester:

SOWT
08-30-15, 20:40

Machined tubes worked for me.

CoryCop25
08-30-15, 21:00
I was a supervisor at UPS before I was a cop.
The UPS Store is not UPS. Most that work there don't know squat.
The UPS hub will take just about anything. There may be an ORM-d fee if you disclose what is in the package.
If I ship lighter items...... Books
If I ship heavier items...... Car parts

Wake27
08-30-15, 21:11
Yeah I usually say machine parts and I've only had someone ask for more detail once or twice. I attached the sheet she showed me for reference.

sevenhelmet
08-30-15, 21:18
Funny that UPS has had zero problems dropping parts and ammo off at my door literally dozens of times.

T2C
08-30-15, 21:23
Funny that UPS has had zero problems dropping parts and ammo off at my door literally dozens of times.

The same here. I have had excellent service from UPS.

Wake27
08-30-15, 21:25
Me too, normally. Maybe it's just a franchise thing as was mentioned.

SomeOtherGuy
08-30-15, 21:49
"The UPS Store" locations as noted above are franchise things. They are absolutely terrible in all respects and I won't deal with them even for the most harmless and pedestrian items (shoes, kid toys, etc.). Their rates are usually much higher than standard and they have a peculiar ability to hire college-age workers who combine unbelievable arrogance with mind numbing stupidity. It also seems as if the franchise owner/managers are often middle aged holier-than-thou women who probably believe everything Oprah has ever said.

I've had pretty good UPS experiences with the drivers and hubs, which are real UPS unlike the franchised stores. But I won't ship UPS if the item can legally and practically go USPS, because priority mail has always been cheaper and faster in my experience, often half or less than half the cost of UPS.

Turnkey11
08-30-15, 22:46
I hated dealing with UPS in Hawaii, but they are the easiest to deal with if you sell a firearm online in the mainland. Anything else, I used USPS whenever possible, it will save you a ton of money using flat rate boxes.

titsonritz
08-30-15, 22:48
You should be using a non-descript box anyhow so things don't turn up missing.

Jellybean
08-30-15, 23:26
You should be using a non-descript box anyhow so things don't turn up missing.

Yeah, this too...

Rules of shipping firearm parts:

Always PREpack your stuff. If you can find boxes with some sort of scrapbooking products, home decor, or organic food, so much the better... :laugh:

Wake27
08-31-15, 00:38
That is a good point...

SteyrAUG
08-31-15, 00:48
I can save you a LOT of grief.

This only happens at UPS stores. Create a UPS account (it's free), purchase shipping online and schedule a pick up. Brown truck shows up, no questions or stupid rules.

Wake27
08-31-15, 01:16
Is that the UPS My Choice? Do you have to be present for it or can I just leave it at the door?

SteyrAUG
08-31-15, 02:30
Is that the UPS My Choice? Do you have to be present for it or can I just leave it at the door?

UPS.com

You can probably leave it at the door, not sure that is wise for anything worth more than $5.00

Wake27
08-31-15, 03:07
With my work schedule, I don't have a lot of options unfortunately. I live in a pretty safe area so if it happens, I'll deal with it. Thanks though, I'll have to look into that.

Apricotshot
08-31-15, 08:04
I only sell stuff local now. I'm through with the BS that I find at the local UPS/USPS/FedEx locations.

cbx
08-31-15, 08:34
If you have it labeled already you can just chuck it at the counter person also. They dgaf once it's labeled.

SteyrAUG
08-31-15, 13:46
With my work schedule, I don't have a lot of options unfortunately. I live in a pretty safe area so if it happens, I'll deal with it. Thanks though, I'll have to look into that.

How do you receive packages that are signature delivery with your schedule? It's basically the same thing.

Wake27
08-31-15, 13:52
How do you receive packages that are signature delivery with your schedule? It's basically the same thing.

I always request that I don't have to sign for it. But if I do, it usually sits at the post office for three days before I can make some time...

SteyrAUG
08-31-15, 18:28
I always request that I don't have to sign for it. But if I do, it usually sits at the post office for three days before I can make some time...

Your next best bet will be to create a UPS account, print shipping labels at home and then just drop off at the UPS store, no questions and they will give you a receipt.

Averageman
09-01-15, 06:08
That's funny, I don't think any one of the available services might be without their own Doofus's.
My Boss had 7K worth of equipment sent to us, he tracked it, it had apparently arrived, but??? He found it stuck in one of the out buildings laying on the floor. The guy didn't even bother to take it to the office or wait for a signature.
The usual guy on that route is much better.