PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of HBO's True Detective? Spoiler alert

Waylander
08-30-15, 23:17
I enjoyed season 1 with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. While it was slow at times and a little weird (not necessarily a bad thing), I think it worked. I don't watch much premium cable but I think it's definitely better than most shows I've seen on standard cable. It's some of the better if not best acts I've seen from Harrelson and McConaughey. Amazing character development.

Season 2 is a lot different (as intended, each season will be totally different.) It was directed by Harrelson and McConaughey.
Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams, and Taylor Kitsch (?) star. I'd never heard of the last guy. While the plot is a lot more predictable and has lots of twists, it's still more entertaining than most anything else on cable. It's a lot more fast paced and action packed than season 1.

I've never been a huge fan of Vince Vaughn except comedy and Colin Farrell has always been OK to good but not extremely memorable. I think Farrell and Vaughn both knocked it out of the park. The character evolution of both was very well done. Vaughn's character transforming from the club owner to the ruthless gangster to survive. Farrell's character transforming from the straight up cop turned bad by a tragedy then to corrupt cop then to having a conscience.

If you can get over the stereotypical dirty cop and corporate corruption angles from Hollywood, it actually is good entertainment. They definitely aren't your typical detective shows.

Averageman
08-31-15, 05:38
I enjoyed it alot and hope they make another one.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-31-15, 11:27
Spolier:::

Season 2 sucks and will emotionally drain you, leaving you feeling very empty and aggravated. IF they are able to secure a 3rd season, I pray it resembles the first.

Waylander
08-31-15, 12:12
Spolier:::

Season 2 sucks and will emotionally drain you, leaving you feeling very empty and aggravated. IF they are able to secure a 3rd season, I pray it resembles the first.

I liked both seasons. Like I said, they're both very different and Season 2 was a little over the top with the constant plot twists. Still better than the majority of recent shows I've seen. I watched both seasons in 8 hour marathons so I think that helped me get over the predictability of Season 2 quicker and let it end. Maybe that disconnect had something to do with season 1 having the same director but the season 2 directors were broken up.

If I had to pick, Season 1 would win by McConaughey and Harrelson acting. The season was on the slow side but the juice was easily worth the squeeze.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-31-15, 12:27
I liked both seasons. Like I said, they're both very different and Season 2 was a little over the top with the constant plot twists. Still better than the majority of recent shows I've seen. I watched both seasons in 8 hour marathons so I think that helped me get over the predictability of Season 2 quicker and let it end. Maybe that disconnect had something to do with season 1 having the same director but the season 2 directors were broken up.

If I had to pick, Season 1 would win by McConaughey and Harrelson acting. The season was on the slow side but the juice was easily worth the squeeze.

We watched it over 8 weeks. The build up was big, but then nothing really ended up happening, and the characters that you never really cared for are the ones thats things happen to.

I loved season 1, hopefully we get something reminiscent.

Abraham
08-31-15, 12:47
I'm a fan.

I though Vince V did an outstanding job. I especially like the fight scene with the metal mouth thug, who badly under estimated VV. When VV eventually bent down with the pliars I laughed out loud.

Colin F did a great job too, but I hated the character he portrayed.

Rachel McAdams is hot, even when they made her hair look like crap and her demeanor depressed.

Averageman
08-31-15, 14:59
Rachel McAdams is hot, even when they made her hair look like crap and her demeanor depressed.

But no where near as hot as Kelly Reilly was.

Waylander
08-31-15, 22:52
We watched it over 8 weeks. The build up was big, but then nothing really ended up happening, and the characters that you never really cared for are the ones thats things happen to.

I loved season 1, hopefully we get something reminiscent.

I could see the last couple of episodes being a predictable letdown.

The only caveat of people dying is not all of the true scum like the guys in the forest got what was coming to them.

After the guy got his recording to finally upload instead of fighting he went suicide by cop. I mean who takes a pistol and shotgun? Didn't he have any ARs left in that bag?

I mostly knew toward the end who was going to live and die. It was either like some sort of karmic justice for the Vaughn and Farrell characters and martyrdom for the CHP guy. None of the "good" people like any of the women died either.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android

El Vaquero
09-01-15, 00:27
Season 1 rocked. Great acting, good story, and yes, a little strange at times. Season 2 was just too busy. Too many characters and too few episodes to allow for proper character development. It's like it was written for much longer of a series. I got lost on who was who till the end. I'm not talking about the starring cast I'm talking about all the other players in the story. Season 2 had more holes in the plot and was more predictable than season 1. And I agree Kelly Reilly was smokin hot in this season.

Abraham
09-01-15, 08:30
We all have our preferences.

Me, I actually find Kelly Reilly very odd looking, especially the shape of her weird looking lips and mouth.

You can have her.

Waylander
09-01-15, 10:51
Different strokes and all that...
Reilly seemed sedated the entire show and there's definitely something about her mouth. She's not ugly by any means but I would pick McAdams over her.