PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing an ammo can

Skyyr
09-01-15, 15:09
My grandfather passed away some time back. Long story short, I received one of the WWII-era 20mm ammo cans that he owned (he was a WWII veteran). It has light surface rust, but nothing too major. I'd like to restore it and make it look like new, and use it to store some other keepsakes from him.

Any tips or guides on how to refinish an ammo can? I'd like it to look real good, if possible.

Jaysop
09-01-15, 15:12
Not helpful but I'd keep it the way it is. It would personally be more sentimental to me that way. If you want to display it in your office or study or something you could always dress it up a bit. Got pics of it? How bad is it really?

interfan
09-01-15, 15:22
To refinish and restore to "new", you have to bead blast it down to bare metal, do any filling of rust pits (leading works), then primer, paint, and stencil.

To keep the patina of age and prevent further damage, just clean it well and spray it with a clear coat. This will keep it from further damage, but still preserve the originality. Your grandfather may have had memories attached to every scratch and dent.

GH41
09-01-15, 18:16
If you must have a new looking can get another one to refinish. It got the way it is while he was alive and making it look new will not bring him back. Without restoration you can hold the same thing in your hands that he did.

SilverBullet432
09-01-15, 18:19
Id say leave it as it is. Character.

Firefly
09-01-15, 19:20
As a wise man told me, "Tattoos and plastic surgery are bought, scars and wrinkles are earned"

Plenty of surplus repros out there for the re-enactor set, but this was your granddads. I'd keep it in a safe place but leave it untouched

SteyrAUG
09-02-15, 01:09
Just a heads up, not ALL WWII ammo cans were painted.

I've got one off of my Grandfather's Liberator and it was bare metal. Make sure you aren't screwing up something rare.