PDA

View Full Version : LMT M4 upper and low profile gas block?

Solid
07-26-08, 11:17
I'm planning on buying a LMT upper from G&R rather than a Stag 2HT.

My plan was to buy the LMT with regular hand guards, and in a few months I may decide to get; Omega rail 9.0, low profile block, flip front sight, vertical grip, etc. Basically all the rail goodies.

I'm not anywhere close to being a gun smith, so this is why I like the Omega rail from DD. My question is though, what low profile gas block would be a painless install on the LMT barrel?

I have read that some gas blocks require tapping new holes or other "surgery". I'd like to be able in a few months to simply pop the old hand guards off, remove flash suppressor, put a low pro on, and install the Omega 9.0 rail.

Maybe it would be best to send it off to someone who know what they are doing in a few months. :confused:

Impact
07-26-08, 12:05
if you are going to remove the fsb to install a low profile gb, I would upgrade the omega to a larue or DD Lite then get a larue low profile gb or noveske/pri..
A pinned gas block is recommended but you can get away without.

Adam
07-26-08, 13:06
If you want a gas block that goes on with out modification you will need a clamp model. These aren't as secure as a pinned gas block and will not fit under the omega rail. I suggest having a dealer like adco shave the front sight or install a vltor and pin it.

theJanitor
07-26-08, 13:42
you may not be a gunsmith but do you think you can grind down your fsb? it's not gunsmith specific work, per se. but it will save you $50 and be the most secure foolproof way of getting a gas block under the gurads.

Solid
07-26-08, 13:47
you may not be a gunsmith but do you think you can grind down your fsb? it's not gunsmith specific work, per se. but it will save you $50 and be the most secure foolproof way of getting a gas block under the gurads.

I considered this, but wasn't sure if it could be done with the FSB still on the rifle. The omega 9 + grinding the fsb seems like the easiest way to do it.

What is a good black paint to protect the exposed metal after grinding everything off?

theJanitor
07-26-08, 17:23
most high temp paints works fine. i've used the ones for BBQ grills before. i also bought some alumahydeII recently but i haven't been able to try it yet.

rob_s
07-26-08, 17:35
I wouldn't grind an FSB while it's still on the barrel.

I coat mine with black grill paint.

If I was you, I'd be inclined to grind down the FSB and use the money saved to upgrade from the DD Omega to the DD Lite M4.

theJanitor
07-26-08, 18:34
i agree. punching out two pins is not a difficult task. but knicking your barrel with a grinding wheel would be a real bummer

Solid
07-26-08, 21:33
I wouldn't grind an FSB while it's still on the barrel.

I coat mine with black grill paint.

If I was you, I'd be inclined to grind down the FSB and use the money saved to upgrade from the DD Omega to the DD Lite M4.

What's wrong with the Omega that would make me need to get the Lite?

rob_s
07-27-08, 06:43
Nothing is "wrong" with the Omega. But it's designed for use when you can't/won't remove the FSB. Personally, I'd rather have a one-piece rail that actually weighs less overall than the two-piece and heavier Omega.

Solid
07-27-08, 18:54
Nothing is "wrong" with the Omega. But it's designed for use when you can't/won't remove the FSB. Personally, I'd rather have a one-piece rail that actually weighs less overall than the two-piece and heavier Omega.

I though it was for people that can't/don't want to remove the flash suppressor,delta ring, barrel nut, fsb, barrel... Plus didn't have all the tools to do so.

The reason I like the Omega is that it is a direct bolt on, and have a much thinner profile than other rails. Not to mention the lower cost, plus the money saved from the tools you don't need to buy.

Seems like if weight is an issue, then you probably don't want a rail anyway. Considering all the stuff people throw on them. Just look at the weight of the UBR, as it is to balance the front heavy rails. A regular free float would work better for weight savings.

C4IGrant
07-27-08, 19:13
The DD Omega is a very narrow rail so a lot of gas blocks are NOT going to fit inside of it. I would suggest keeping the FSB on the LMT and either going with the 7.0 or the DD 9.5FSP.

C4

PYRO31888
07-28-08, 00:48
I just got my LMT AR from Grant a few days ago ... its awesome... i am just waiting on a rear sight and some other stuff.