PDA

View Full Version : FNS9c or Sig P320c?

Unkle Kurt
09-02-15, 15:45
Not interested in Glocks or M&P's at the moment due to my own personal reasons. Which of THESE two would you pick and why? Until HK releases a VP9c in 20xx, I will have to settle for these two.

The P320c with night sights comes in between $550 and $600 where as the FNS9c comes with night sights and 3 mags for $420. I admit the price is tempting but I am willing to pay for quality if it is noticeably better.

What seems to be the consensus versus these two firearms?

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-02-15, 16:10
The FN is a very high quality piece from a very high quality manufacturer. I would give it very serious consideration.

jck397
09-02-15, 17:17
The FN is very tempting, especially at the price point, but my understanding is that it has to go back to the factory for a detail strip (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). For me, not being able to do PM and detail cleaning after heavy shooting/exposure to elements makes it a no-go. For that reason I would vote SIG. If I'm wrong or if that's not a deal-breaker, then both should serve you well and it becomes a matter of preference.

dwhitehorne
09-02-15, 17:22
The 320c is more mid sized. It is basically the exact same size as my P2000. The FNSc is more like a M&P compact size if that matters to you. The FNSc I shot had a nicer trigger pull than the FNS fullsize I use to own. The compact trigger is basically just like the FNSL version which I feel is their nicest version. I looked at the FNS as a very Glock like trigger with a better grip angle for me. Speaking of the grip, the FNS grip is very aggressive if you are thinking about IWB carry.

I shot the 320c better because the grip fit my hand better than the FNSc. I did like shooting the FNSc with the full size mag but that kind of defeats the purpose of a compact. One could argue you can get a subcompact grip frame for the Sig and have both versions, but the FNS mag sleeve to fit full size mags in the compact does the same thing. The FNSc looks like you are getting the LE price where the 320 is right there with retail. Is one $100+ better than the other? Your call. Good luck on your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with either weapon. David

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-02-15, 19:13
jck,

You can detail strip it without sending it to the factory. But it is fair to say that it is a pain in the ass.On the flip side they are bomb-proof and FN is not known for beta testing their stuff on the public.

CanineCombatives
09-02-15, 19:16
The big difference between them is the triggers.

jck397
09-02-15, 22:57
You can detail strip it without sending it to the factory. But it is fair to say that it is a pain in the ass.On the flip side they are bomb-proof and FN is not known for beta testing their stuff on the public.

Thanks for the clarification!

BatteryOperated
09-03-15, 05:51
If the past holds true after market support will be better with the Sig.

Texaspoff
09-03-15, 07:05
Sig320 get my vote. I had an FNS9 for a bit so I have experience with both.

TXPO

Eurodriver
09-03-15, 07:14
What personal reasons do you have for not liking Glock?

Did the G19, the most ubiquitous handgun in the world, steal your girl?

RHINOWSO
09-03-15, 07:58
P320C is GTG and it will have a lot more aftermarket support (parts, holsters, etc) than FN ever will.

Unkle Kurt
09-03-15, 08:09
What personal reasons do you have for not liking Glock?

Did the G19, the most ubiquitous handgun in the world, steal your girl?

I started with an early M&P which suffered from accuracy issues and a dead trigger at one point. When I was able to out shoot my fullsize M&P9 from a rest at 20 yards with a friend's XD subcompact, it went down the road.

I then transitioned to Glock. My first was a G19 Gen4 and after multiple recoil assembly changes, I traded it for a like new G19 Gen3. Enter BTF. Ejector and extractor changes and even having a friend who is a Glock armorer work it over, BTF continued. I ended up selling it and settling on an older Gen3 G17. So far it has ran great. I had a brief stent with a G27 that I took in on "pawn" from a close friend in financial trouble. The gun ran fine, but I didn't like the size and not having a rail.

The G19 size is perfect for CCW as the G17 is just too big for me. But I am reluctant to try another G19 as the same friend who is the Glock armorer, bought a new G19 Gen4 in April 2015 and is still struggling with BTF. I know that may seem a bit anecdotal but even after a trip back to Glock, the 19 still suffers.

The Sig P320c is the closest in size and knock on wood, I haven't heard of any big issues to date. The FNSc with the pinky extension is also close in overall size and unlike the G26/27, it has a rail for a WML. I do wish it was slightly larger and held 15 rounds, but I feel confident with 12+1.

The M&P being my first gun, left a big first impression on me. I know they have since changed the barrel twist rate and updated the triggers. The M&P compact does interest me, but frankly, I am just "gun shy" of them after the dead trigger.

hopetonbrown
09-06-15, 13:18
I would get over your personal reasons and get a Glock 19. Virtually unlimited aftermarket support, every sight under the sun is available, easy to find holsters and cheap magazines. You can detail strip in 2 minutes. Supremely easy to fix yourself. Set aside your emotions and go with the logical choice.

Dionysusigma
09-06-15, 14:29
Brass constantly hitting you in the face isn't an "emotional" bias - it's a design flaw.

My vote is for the 320C.

hopetonbrown
09-06-15, 14:53
First I'd make sure my wrists weren't breaking causing brass to face. Glock could try to fix it, you can get an Apex extractor and/or a White Sound Defense HRED. Before I buy any new pistol I check to see what sights and holsters are available. The plusses of the 19 outweigh any negatives.

Hot Sauce
09-06-15, 17:19
I would get over your personal reasons and get a Glock 19. Virtually unlimited aftermarket support, every sight under the sun is available, easy to find holsters and cheap magazines. You can detail strip in 2 minutes. Supremely easy to fix yourself. Set aside your emotions and go with the logical choice.

This is borderline absurd. You listed out a bunch of advantages that the platform has without addressing the problem the OP listed, which is hot brass flying towards his eyes. What is he supposed to do once he sets aside his "emotions" exactly? Become at expert at flinching out of the way of the brass?

The issue of BTF with post-2010 Glocks is well documented. Even some pre-2010 models did it occasionally. Let's get off the excuse wagon (limp wristing, etc.). I like properly working Glocks, too. This is the fault of the manufacturer, and I don't understand why some people insist on giving them a free pass.

hopetonbrown
09-06-15, 17:39
This is borderline absurd. You listed out a bunch of advantages that the platform has without addressing the problem the OP listed, which is hot brass flying towards his eyes. What is he supposed to do once he sets aside his "emotions" exactly? Become at expert at flinching out of the way of the brass?

The issue of BTF with post-2010 Glocks is well documented. Even some pre-2010 models did it occasionally. Let's get off the excuse wagon (limp wristing, etc.). I like properly working Glocks, too. This is the fault of the manufacturer, and I don't understand why some people insist on giving them a free pass.

I listed some possible remedies for his malady in my previous post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173291-FNS9c-or-Sig-P320c&p=2175056#post2175056). Glock has probably sold a million G19s, there's gonna be some bad ones out there. The G4 G19 seems to be more problematic. The slim chance of buying a defective G19 still doesn't outweigh for me all the positives the Glock brings to the table. A quick look around the internet I could not find FNS9c magazines, for example. The standard size ones cost twice as much as Glocks. Raven Concealment doesn't list the FNS9c as a gun they make holsters for. Sevigney looks like the only decent aftermarket sight. The Compact carries 20% less rounds as the similarly sized G19.

The OP could also buy a G17 and have the grip chopped.

Hot Sauce
09-07-15, 12:09
I listed some possible remedies for his malady in my previous post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?173291-FNS9c-or-Sig-P320c&p=2175056#post2175056). Glock has probably sold a million G19s, there's gonna be some bad ones out there. The G4 G19 seems to be more problematic. The slim chance of buying a defective G19 still doesn't outweigh for me all the positives the Glock brings to the table. A quick look around the internet I could not find FNS9c magazines, for example. The standard size ones cost twice as much as Glocks. Raven Concealment doesn't list the FNS9c as a gun they make holsters for. Sevigney looks like the only decent aftermarket sight. The Compact carries 20% less rounds as the similarly sized G19.

The OP could also buy a G17 and have the grip chopped.

While I agree, chances are you will get a decent working one, I can understand a guy who's already gotten crappy one not wanting to chance it again. A lot of people get 2-3 for range, CCW and backup use. I can totally understand the prospect of sending one more of them back to Glock or futzing with extractor/ejector replacements being daunting.

While Gen 4 19s tend to be more problematic, it seems (anectodally, perhaps) that they are more often fixed by Apex drop in without any additonal work, in comparison to malfunctioning Gen 3s.

This is part of the reason why suggestion of a grip chopped G17 is good. So is buying police trade in weapons which are generally earlier model Gen 3s. But, having occasionally been beaned in the forehead by a Gen 2 17, there is no sure answer.

If the guy has lost confidence in Glock, I can't blame him.

jck397
09-07-15, 13:24
If the guy has lost confidence in Glock, I can't blame him.

Me, either. Over the past 15 years I have had two Gen. 3 19s (H- and P- prefixes, I belive) and one Gen. 4 26 (X-prefix, I think) that have had malfunctions right out of the box (this isn't taking into acount BTF.) This is out of 5 G19s and 2 G26s. I realize that others have had no issues, but after an over 20% failure rate, I'm not willing to spend my money on an unknown, then my training time on vetting/tinkering. Not when SIG and HK offer guns that meet my needs and (for me) work right out of the box. Glocks can be great weapons and I wouldn't fault someone for choosing that platform, but I wouldn't criticize someone for shunning them, either. Not with all the collective bad experiences out there.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-07-15, 18:33
My experience with G19s has also been sub-par. I have one right now that is tolerable but throws at least one or two piece of brass in my face a session. Fortunately, I wear glasses all the time so the prospect of having my eyeball seared by hot brass isn't an issue. Further, I own it only as a reference piece, as I no longer consider Glocks for my own self-defense.

I have seen too many folks burned by sig over the last 15 years to easily forget. However, I have been intriguied by all the 320 love so I went to Clyde's and fondled one. It was OK, but the trigger was a little meh. It was smooth with a crunchy break (different, but probably in the same category as a std Glock). But it might have been an odd ball. Other than that it seemed like a clone of a poly CZ (which is no bad thing). Maybe I will get one.

For now though, my experience with my FNs has been so excellent I see no reason not to recommend them. Reasonably priced and bomb-proof. I do prefer the FNX though (just because I like hammers for reliability, etc).

Hot Sauce
09-07-15, 19:52
My experience with G19s has also been sub-par. I have one right now that is tolerable but throws at least one or two piece of brass in my face a session. Fortunately, I wear glasses all the time so the prospect of having my eyeball seared by hot brass isn't an issue. Further, I own it only as a reference piece, as I no longer consider Glocks for my own self-defense.

I have seen too many folks burned by sig over the last 15 years to easily forget. However, I have been intriguied by all the 320 love so I went to Clyde's and fondled one. It was OK, but the trigger was a little meh. It was smooth with a crunchy break (different, but probably in the same category as a std Glock). But it might have been an odd ball. Other than that it seemed like a clone of a poly CZ (which is no bad thing). Maybe I will get one.

For now though, my experience with my FNs has been so excellent I see no reason not to recommend them. Reasonably priced and bomb-proof. I do prefer the FNX though (just because I like hammers for reliability, etc).

I'm sort of surprised you're checking out the 320. I've seen your posts here and there, and you come across as a hammer-fired pistolero.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-07-15, 19:59
Aww hell, I check out everything.

brickboy240
09-08-15, 15:26
So does this mean that the 9mm Glock BTF issue is STILL ongoing?

Wow...I would have thought that would be dead by now.

RHINOWSO
09-08-15, 22:15

A lasting impression I have is my buddy jumping around after every shot - he was shooting steel at 7 yds (close, I know) and I thought he was getting backsplash - but as I looked closer and he later confirmed, his NIB G19 gen 4 was chucking brass in his face at least every other round.

First impressions can make a lasting impression.

brickboy240
09-09-15, 12:47
Wow...with the release of the PPQ 9mm, VP-9, the P320 and soon the Beretta APX...you'd think Glock would have put this problem to bed.

Pretty soon...someone IS going to make the Glock 19 killer. With what we've seen lately - this gap is closing.

Texaspoff
09-09-15, 14:04
Wow...with the release of the PPQ 9mm, VP-9, the P320 and soon the Beretta APX...you'd think Glock would have put this problem to bed.

Pretty soon...someone IS going to make the Glock 19 killer. With what we've seen lately - this gap is closing.

Not sure about killing the 19, but my 320's have definitely sent my 19's into retirement. :haha:

TXPO

brickboy240
09-09-15, 14:32
You know, after all the so-so stuff SIG has produced since coming stateside....it is about time they got something right.

I have actually heard little complaints about the P320. No jams, no ejection issues and they seem to have a decent trigger and are accurate.

I was actually considering a PPQ or VP-9 in the next month or so but the mid-sized 9mm P320 is looking better all the time. Especially since it can be had for less than the PPQ or VP-9.

MStarmer
09-09-15, 15:51
I have a PPQ, 320C and a Gen4 G23. I was going to get a G19 but I'm just not sold on the Gen 4's I already have. The outstanding accuracy reviews and flexibility of the 320 platform (along with price) really make it attractive. Good sights, good trigger and a plethora of frame sizes and caliber options really can give someone a "one gun" option. I personally like the fact that I can pull out the fire control unit, hose it off for maintenance and put it in any frame I want depending on my needs. Right now I go to different pistols depending on need and season, but using literally the same gun gives you even more consistency.

It may or may not appeal to all people but I know personally my shooting suffers when moving platform to platform. I've tried to keep things consistent with G27/G23 and M&P's full size and compact but get a 320c in whatever caliber you want with a few different grip modules and/or conversion kits give you an awful lot of combinations. 9mm ammo hard to find, swap to your .40 slide and vice versa. Plus you can streamline your holster collection a bit too.

I'm not completely sold on the 320 yet as it's just a tad fat for me with the med sized grip module (have a small in the mail). But so far it's been one of the easiest guns to shoot right out of the box that I've ever owned, maybe barely behind the PPQ. My wife absolutely was killing it the first time out. Reading thru the 320 thread it's hard to find too much that anyone has to say bad about them.

brickboy240
09-09-15, 16:05
I just held and played with a P320 45 full size this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was a special order at a local gun store so we could not test fire it.

Wow...I was shocked at how good the grip felt versus the 4x4 post blockiness of the G21. For a full size 45, the thing felt really nice.

I am going to have to research the P320 platform more heavily because I might re-think the VP-9 or PPQ 9mm purchase coming next month.

Hot Sauce
09-09-15, 17:54
I just held and played with a P320 45 full size this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was a special order at a local gun store so we could not test fire it.

Wow...I was shocked at how good the grip felt versus the 4x4 post blockiness of the G21. For a full size 45, the thing felt really nice.

I am going to have to research the P320 platform more heavily because I might re-think the VP-9 or PPQ 9mm purchase coming next month.

Personally, out of all the different platforms mentioned in this discussion, I lean toward the PPQ. VP-9 is a non option for me due the length of the grip. If you're a small forward playing college ball, I could see how it wouldn't be hard to conceal. For me, its just too big.

PPQ is right around G19 size though, and AFAIK 320c is too (haven't checked one out yet).

plouffedaddy
09-09-15, 18:13
Not interested in Glocks or M&P's at the moment due to my own personal reasons. Which of THESE two would you pick and why? Until HK releases a VP9c in 20xx, I will have to settle for these two.

The P320c with night sights comes in between $550 and $600 where as the FNS9c comes with night sights and 3 mags for $420. I admit the price is tempting but I am willing to pay for quality if it is noticeably better.

What seems to be the consensus versus these two firearms?

I like the 320 but think it excels in full size form. The FNS9C is about as good as, or better than, any gun in the category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN8A5O4_Qfo

RHINOWSO
09-09-15, 18:52
You know, after all the so-so stuff SIG has produced since coming stateside....it is about time they got something right.

I have actually heard little complaints about the P320. No jams, no ejection issues and they seem to have a decent trigger and are accurate.

I was actually considering a PPQ or VP-9 in the next month or so but the mid-sized 9mm P320 is looking better all the time. Especially since it can be had for less than the PPQ or VP-9.
I'm an HK guy but went with the P320C 9MM for something different this spring, just for something to play around with at the range and give my son something in 9MM to shoot besides my HK Light LEMs which at times confuse him with his range trips being so infrequent.

Overall I'm very pleased with the weapon - the only malfunctions I've had were pretty much self induced - 850 or so rounds into it, having only cleaned and lubed it before firing it when NIB, were with weak PMC/Tula 115gr ammo when loading +1. The weak ammo, lack of lube, and tightness of the full magazine below the barrel prevented it from completely cycling the first shot. Otherwise it was still working fine with high power stuff and if not +1 it would work with everything. When cleaned / lubed it worked fine with everything again. I'd say I'm at 1200-1300 rds now, most of it crap Tula / PMC, but also Speer TMJ and Federal HST 124gr +Ps, also some Blazer 115gr FMJs as well.

Out of the box the sights weren't aligned leading to POI left but that was easily corrected. The Compact Medium frame was a little small for my normal sized hands, but a Compact Large frame was perfect. The fit / finish / construction is impressively done and for $550 I think it's a real gem so far. I also use 17rd Fullsize mags without difficulty.

brickboy240
09-10-15, 10:01
This is good to hear.

I wanted to wait and give the PPQ, VP-9 and P320 some time before buying another non-Glock 9mm.

It appears that the P320 is GTG.

USAF-SP
09-10-15, 10:16
I have both manufacturers in my my household. The Sig is the P238 and the FNS .40 I love my FNS wouldn't trade it for the world. The wife owns the Sig and she loves it. With that said by firing them both the FNS comes out on top. The trigger is smooth and fast and never have had a fte or ftf with multiple types of ammo shot through it. Dollar for dollar go with the FNS.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-10-15, 11:39
Plouf,

Love the inverted video gas mask gangster routine at the end of the video. LOL.

But yeah, the FNs are amazing and hold their own against (and usually better) any combat autoloader. Great tool guns.

brickboy240
09-10-15, 12:04
The pricing on the FNs is VERY good compared to other striker guns in it's category.

I might have to check holster availability and it might go into consideration with the VP-9, P320 and PPQ.

The P320 already has a strike against it (for me) because Raven does not make a Phantom holster for it.

...the search goes on...but I am not buying another new Glock 9mm.

plouffedaddy
09-10-15, 19:03
Plouf,

Love the inverted video gas mask gangster routine at the end of the video. LOL.

But yeah, the FNs are amazing and hold their own against (and usually better) any combat autoloader. Great tool guns.

Gotta have some fun every now and then ;)

skyboss_4evr
09-11-15, 01:02

It only persists on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brickboy240
09-11-15, 10:24
The bad thing about me looking at all the non-Glock 9mm striker pistols is that I am spoiled to the "support" that the Glocks have versus the other pistols.

Sights, holsters and mags are all some sort of challenge versus equipping another Glock like my 17, 22 and 19.

You have to research these things before buying...

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-11-15, 20:34
It only persists on the internet.

Today I got some actual 9 o'clock action followed by a few of these bad boys...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/650/21147301339_a176cb97af_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ydHrVM)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/ydHrVM) by stoiclawyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/52942291@N00/), on Flickr

RHINOWSO
09-11-15, 21:08
Everyone knows Glocks never jam.

They are perfect in every way. They just need a Ghost rocket banger switch, soandsos-tactical lever thingy, more tactical uber sights, frame cut down and stippling, retexture, and of course a butt plugger.

:p

Unkle Kurt
09-12-15, 18:14
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the matter. Sorry I have not been more active in this thread, life happened and Murphy paid a visit. I did however end up obtaining a Sig P320c with night sights. In my opinion, this is what the G19 should be. The frame does not have the finger grooves (which do not fit my hand on the G19 BTW) and has a mild texturing to it. It's grippy without being too aggressive and chaffing my skin for IWB carry. It has steel night sights that have a ledge on them that works for one handed manipulations. I can reach the mag release without altering my grip, unlike Gen 3 Glocks, but large like the Gen4's. The slide release feels on par with the Vicker's slide release I had on my last Glock. Lastly, IMO, the trigger is better. I have only ran 100 rounds through it, but I really like the way it handles and how it runs. Oh and the brass was in a nice little pile to my right, not sprinkled all around like I tossed a handful of empty casings up in the air (cough, G19, cough). Time will tell, but so far I am VERY well pleased.