PDA

View Full Version : First press selection

Jim D
09-02-15, 20:38
Gents, I'm looking to finally start reloading (been shooting for almost 10 years now) since I'm now shooting more .308 and .300BLK. I also shoot .223, 9mm, and a little .45ACP... I'm mostly looking at loading for .308 and .300BLK now.

With that said, I'm looking to set this thing up in apartment with limited space available to dedicate to it.

Both the .308 and .300BLK aren't calibers that I expect to need to load more than 100-200 rounds of at a time, currently. If I start shooting USPSA again and load 9mm... well, that's a different story.

Given the circumstances... what would folks recommend for these needs?

I'm torn between the Lee Turret press and a Hornady progressive press. With the current Hornady bullet promo, and the fact that the press comes with a powder dispenser... it really puts this progressive at being about $100 more than a turret/single stage press.

I have no intention of using bullet and case feeders with anything, for what it's worth.

What's the general consensus? Any reason not to spend the extra $100 and go progressive right from the start?

It seems like most progressive loaders are doing more pistol than rifle ammo, does that really matter?

I'm not shooting benchrest competitions with any of these calibers, just looking to make range ammo that can keep up with factory quality and take the sting out of the price.

Thanks in advance!

125 mph
09-02-15, 22:11
I'd get a progressive press. I started with an RCBS single stage and got a Dillon 550 a year or two later. In hindsight, I should have just gotten the 550. I don't think I've used the single stage once since I got the Dillon, I mainly just loan the RCBS out to friends now when they start getting into reloading.

texasgunhand
09-02-15, 22:28
The dillon is more expensive but totally worth it. Single stage I would go rcbs. I use the single stage rcbs , it's slower loading pistol. But for precision rifle it's great for me.

My next one will be a dillon progressive for sure it will make loading pistol alot faster. That purchase will be after the elections,, iam waiting to see who wins and if there's going to be a run on ammo,powder etc. If its going to disappear for years again I will stay with the single stage till it comes back.

I can't see why you wouldn't go progressive first other than cost. And maybe single stage might be easer to setup and learn on. Thats about it.

T2C
09-03-15, 09:06
If you can afford it, buy a RL550B. If money is an issue and they are having a promotional offer, you can't go wrong with RCBS.

I have owned a Lee Progressive, two Dillon Square Deals and a Dillon RL550B over the years. The Dillons have been the most reliable and the RL550B has been the most versatile. For most rifle cartridges I weigh each powder charge and use my RL550B like a single stage press.

When I lived in a very small apartment, I mounted a Dillon Square Deal B to a small thick table that I could shove into a corner when not being used. When I wanted to reload pistol ammunition I moved the table out in an area where I had enough room to maneuver and weighted down the table with barbell plates to steady the table.

For reloading precision rifle cartridges you can't go wrong with a RCBS single stage press. For both handgun and rifle you can't go wrong with a RL550B.

Nowski87
09-03-15, 12:34
I have a Dillion 550 for my .45 and 9mm loading but still use either a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker or turret press for rifle rounds. I find with the turret or single stage press I have to check my powder throws less often than the progressive.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Bimmer
09-03-15, 12:39
Another very satisfied Dillon RL550B owner here...

It was my first press, after 20 years it's still my only press, and I would do it exactly the same if I were starting new.

texasgunhand
09-03-15, 12:43
Just fyi, cabelas had their rcbs supreme kit on sale this weekend for $265 it may still be. Thats a good price.

If you can't find a dillon progressive local you might check out brianenos.com website for a package deal.
Or contact dillon directly.

wilson1911
09-04-15, 00:54
Get the Dillon 550. You will be more than glad you did. I'm not going to say it's cheap compared to others, but it will let you reload anything. I originally got mine when I was shooting USPSA. I normally do 400 rounds per hour once you get in the groove. Since I have gotten into bolt guns I considered buying a Rockchucker like everyone uses, but decided against it.

Now that being said, I have upgraded my Dillon with machined heads, micro powder measures, baffle/polishing, shell plate etc.

I currently load 338 LM on it. I have a dedicated head that I screw in and leave it until a whole batch is loaded up. Then return it to the pistol heads. Refitting the press for the 338 is simple with micro dies and a dummy round.

The most important upgrades for the dillon are the roller handle, once you have it you will never look back and the machined heads. Instead of the drop pins holding them in place, they have set screws. The dillon heads are sloppy compared to these. It helps your COL greatly in being more consistent. A Dillon is the best investment you will ever make into reloading. 30 years from now Dillon will still replace parts on it, and it will outlast your lifetime. It's the best progressive loader for a reason. And with a few upgrades it can be a great single stage also.

There a lot of other things to buy along they way, once you get into reloading.
Chargemaster - I can't live without it
Stainless media tumbler - why did I buy corncob all those years ?!?!?!?!?!?
Giraud Trimmer - no more hand trimming/ deburing.

The only people who don't like a Dillon, are the ones who want a bigger Dillon. 550-->650 etc.
10 years from now you could sell it for 5 bucks less than you paid for it.
It will last longer then you will.
Customer support is outstanding.

If money is an issue, I would recommend saving longer. Or if your not sure where this will lead you, the rockchucker is a good buy. You must remember that reloading is a long haul endeavor. For these things to pay off many rounds need to be reloaded. The "sting" is at the beginning in reloading, it's not cheap when you first dive in.
And not to forget when things dry up, many of us reloaders will be shooting still, while the box people look at empty shelves. This means stopping by the gun store and picking up primers/powder whether you need it or not a box at a time, you will generate a large stockpile over time this way.
Even though I have bought some pricey additions the last few years, they have paid for themselves. Go price 338 LM ammo in Lapua brand. It will make you cry. Round count on my barrel is right at 450 rounds. 450 x $7 = 3150
Its hards to beat price on pistol loads unless you have lots of free brass, but rifle rounds make up the purchase price very fast. Do the math and calculate how many rounds of 308 you are going to shoot using 308 gold medal match. You will be able to reload for half that easy. So thats $1.30 a round X 1000 rounds = $1300. If you do not buy a press, how much will it cost you the second year ?? $1300 Now imagine 5 years down the road how much you will have saved ???? $3250. That number alone warrants buying a good press and still have money left over after powder/primers/bullets.

Reloading is king, but you must enjoy it also, which I do. If I get burned out, I don't go into the gun room for months. Then it hits me again and I find my lost love over again. It is a very rewarding hobby after you get setup properly.

If you decide on a Dillon, I will buy you 1 machined head as a gift. http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333

Packeagle
09-04-15, 01:54
I bought the LNL AP. I like it well enough. I only reload pistol calibers right now, but I have started to gear up for .223. I have only one complaint with the LNL AP and that is the LNL bushings don't "return to zero" for a lack of a better term on caliber conversions. The tool heads with Dillon seem like they would be better in this regard. They slide into a horizontal slot ensuring a consistent depth of the dies. The LNL bushings are 1/4 turn screw on and they can be off on depth by .005 for the seating dies.

I know you said that you don't want a case/ bullet feeder, but if you get into volume loading for you 9mm the case feeder or bullet feeder will be appreciated. It made a huge difference when I added the "$28 bullet feeder" to my press. Your left hand only has one job bullet or case instead of both. Look into the price of the case feeders for the Dillon and LNL AP. If my memory serves the LNL press is cheaper but the case feeder is more expensive. So that is something to consider in the long run.

I'm happy with my LNL but to do it over again I would probably have saved for another few months and gotten a Dillon 650.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

uffdaphil
09-04-15, 07:20
I'm just starting out too. Got a NIB RCBS Supreme kit for $220 on ebay.

Jim D
09-04-15, 07:44
All of these reloading threads seem to go the same way, on every forum it seems.

I give two examples of presses I'm looking at, state up front that I'm looking to reload multiple calibers in smaller quantities in a compact setup, then everyone just recommends a Dillon anyway that I have no interest in (one of the most expensive options to reload multiple calibers on, designed for very high volume loading). No comments yet on the Lee Turret, either.

Why are people recommending a Rockchucker over the Lee Classic Turret? What does that particular single stage press offer over other single stage presses?

JW5219
09-04-15, 07:45
I'm just starting out too. Got a NIB RCBS Supreme kit for $220 on ebay.

That's good deal on a great single stage press with pretty much everything else you need to get started. I went the same route when getting started.
Can't go wrong IMO !

T2C
09-04-15, 11:05
All of these reloading threads seem to go the same way, on every forum it seems.

I give two examples of presses I'm looking at, state up front that I'm looking to reload multiple calibers in smaller quantities in a compact setup, then everyone just recommends a Dillon anyway that I have no interest in (one of the most expensive options to reload multiple calibers on, designed for very high volume loading). No comments yet on the Lee Turret, either.

Why are people recommending a Rockchucker over the Lee Classic Turret? What does that particular single stage press offer over other single stage presses?

I have no experience with the Lee Turret, but I have a great deal of experience with the Lee Pro 1000 progressive reloader. After it had some wear on it, I had multiple problems with the reloader. I had so many problems with my Lee progressive reloader that I gave it away.

I have a few shooting buddies that use Lee single stage equipment for reloading rifle ammunition and they have had good luck. I would avoid Lee's progressive equipment.

texasgunhand
09-04-15, 11:11

Sorry it's all just personal preference. In the single stage press the rams bigger on the rock chucker than the hornady single stage,or at least mine is over my friend who bought the hornady single stage. Theres tons of people who use the hornady press and love it. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with either.

Just fyi which ever (kit) you buy. Thats not all you need ,there will always be something else as you move forward. First thing is a good STRONG bench of some kind. The bench will be the largest thing in your room. You can't get away with useing some light plastic table very easly.

What your running into here is these guys reload on a massive scale etc , and are going to recommend the dillon becouse its great and they don't have time to use the single stage when reloading 2000 pistol rounds for a match. So if times not a problem then you can use whatever you want. Its not for me so I use a single stage. The turret would be a bit faster even then mine. Also iam not worried about resale I don't sell things ,in 47 years I've sold one gun to pay some fines I got when I was a kid and to this day have regrets on doing that. I should have washed fire trucks...lol

Ps..does hornady make a turret press or just progressive? The only thing I use by lee are there dies basically,i don't know anyone useing thier presses and haven't heard very much good about them. As far as presses I would stay with hornady,rcbs,redding or dillon.

Packeagle
09-04-15, 11:15

You mentioned a fully progressive press in your OP. The two big players are the Hornady and Dillon. There is a reason people recommend Dillon up front. Many of us have been in the same shoes. Like I said I bought the Hornady progressive like it a lot and still would look into a Dillon if I did it over. It's like buying a Colt up front, vs getting a bushmaster.

You say low volume now, but down the road things could and often change. I shoot quite a bit more now that I reload. Mainly because I can afford to now that I reload.

You already mentioned loading 2-3 calibers on the press, I explained the caliber changeover on the Dillon will be easier. Unless you load large quantities of each at a time, the constant setting up of dies will add to your reloading time.

The RCBS is going to be a more robust press than the Lee. In my experience with the exception of dies, Lee products are not as well built as RCBS, Hornady, etc. That's why the suggestions.

In the end, you are going to buy what press you want. I did. Even though everyone told me to save up the extra scratch for the Dillon. Now I'm invested in a press with a much lower resale value and some less than desirable characteristics.

The 550 or 650 will be all the press you really ever need and if you do decide to sell you won't take a bath.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

T2C
09-04-15, 11:23
I learned the hard way a long time ago, when buying reloading equipment buy it once. Buy quality equipment you can afford and augment it with more quality equipment as funds become available.

texasgunhand
09-04-15, 11:25
I learned the hard way a long time ago, when buying reloading equipment buy it once. Buy quality equipment you can afford and augment it with more quality equipment as funds become available.

Good advice right there.

wilson1911
09-08-15, 13:18
Sorry if I said too much. I reload everything I have on a Dillon 550. I originally started shooting USPSA single stack about 9 yrs ago.
If you are wanting the most compact press(footprint) out there, get a Rockchucker. I am one of the few in my area that has a Dillon.....and I am the only one reloading 338 LM and 6.5 CM on a single stage setup on the 550. Everyone uses a Rockchucker for a reason, they are built like tanks and last forever. Save your money to spend on the other things that will teach you how to make better loads.

Please do not be offended on the Dillon referrals. There are many that were once in your shoes. As WE look back, it would have saved us money to just get the right press the first time. That being said, choose the right press for YOU. You can always get a progressive later on if you want volume.

As you begin to reload, you will learn how to make your rounds more accurate...it just comes with the territory. As long as you are loading less than 100 rounds at a time, a single stage is ok. It takes a long time to process 100 pieces of rifle brass at a time when you first start out.

My recommendation is:

Rockchucker press - already stated in other posts they are made well
A digital scale - a balance beam is time consuming
A Tumbler - gotta clean them puppies up corn cobb/walnut media from pet store
Calipers - digital
Imperial sizing wax
Manuals

1859sharps
09-08-15, 14:17
I bought my Dillon 550 20 or so years ago and had zero reloading experience at the time. It is my one and only reloading setup and I have never regretted it. sometimes I load just a 100 rounds, sometimes I load a few hundred at a time. It has been absolutely reliable and versatile to my needs.

If you are thinking progressive...my two cents get the Dillon.

Jim D
09-08-15, 14:28
So, there are a few points that I'll make which influenced my decision.

1) Hornady is running a great promo now (500 free bullet heads with any of their presses).
2) I work for a Hornady dealer and generally speaking try to buy products personally that I can review/recommend to customers of mine. In this instance our pricing as a LE dealer didn't hook me up with any discounts worth looking at beyond current sale pricing via known reloading retailers.
3) I work for a LE supply company, so I can buy loaded new factory ammunition for pretty cheap... eliminating the volume of .223 and 9mm that I'll want to load. .300BLK and .308win are calibers that it's much easier to save money on by picking up the brass, and are calibers that I shoot in lower volume than 9mm/.223.

The only reason I considered a progressive was that after the Hornady promo, the price to get it was very reasonable (for a progressive). Considering that a Dillon is literally more than twice the cost after your set it up with shell plates for the different calibers (and not having the free bullet promo) and it's a non-starter for me.

Being that I'm just getting started in this game, have a limited space to set it up in, and am going to be loading in smaller batches, I opted to get the Hornady Classic kit (single stage).

At current pricing, it's $250, with that I get ~$150 worth of .308 bullet heads, so I'm into a scale, powder dispense, powder trickler, press, priming tool, case neck deburring tool, and manual for about $100. If I redistribute that $100 across the components I would need to buy anyway with a Hornady LnL or Dillon... then I'm basically into the single stage press for ~$20.

Should I decide I don't like single stage loading, I can set that press up for it's own operation (depriming before tumbling, for example) or set it up at a friends house/ cabin as a spare.

This ended up saving me a good chunk of money, so I spent the difference (and then some) on powder and primers that Cabela's had for 10% off this weekend.

I can understand and appreciate that a Dillon may be an excellent choice for high volume pistol loading, but that's not something I have a need for currently.

Thanks guys

wilson1911
09-08-15, 15:29
Congrats on the new press. I really wanted you to at least get something. Its a great past time. No need to get in a hurry about anything, take your time and ask lots of questions. Tubbs has a couple of good vids on youtube that go into great detail, some you may want to try and some may be above your skill level atm, but he does a good job explaining what each task does which is the most important. As well as using simple and more expensive tools to get the job done.

Reloading is not for everyone, but most shooters do enjoy it. I do it for months on end, then not for months at a time, just keep a notebook and label your prep boxes.
Buy primers and powder when in stock, not when you need them. 8 #'s are your friend.

What are you going to do for tumbling ? I do not see that you have one of those yet. Is this a solo adventure or do yo have a buddy who reloads also ?

tcoz
09-08-15, 20:21
Sorry I got in on this thread too late to comment on the Lee Classic Turret. I load all the same calibers as the OP,ms tarted out with my LCT years ago and I'm still with it today. I'm not a high volume shooter so the turret is sufficient for pistol reloading, but where it really shines is removing the index rod and operating it as a single stage which I feel is the most important requirement for rifle reloading.
Good decision and good luck.

Jim D
09-08-15, 21:07
Congrats on the new press. I really wanted you to at least get something. Its a great past time. No need to get in a hurry about anything, take your time and ask lots of questions. Tubbs has a couple of good vids on youtube that go into great detail, some you may want to try and some may be above your skill level atm, but he does a good job explaining what each task does which is the most important. As well as using simple and more expensive tools to get the job done.

Reloading is not for everyone, but most shooters do enjoy it. I do it for months on end, then not for months at a time, just keep a notebook and label your prep boxes.
Buy primers and powder when in stock, not when you need them. 8 #'s are your friend.

What are you going to do for tumbling ? I do not see that you have one of those yet. Is this a solo adventure or do yo have a buddy who reloads also ?

Thanks!

I tried the vinegar/dawn/salt bath in a bucket the other week and was disappointed at the results. I bought one of Cabela's tumber kits (dry) for about $70 with the media/polish/sifter pan and will be using that now.

wingspar
09-09-15, 01:23
I started with a Lee Loader in .308. Seating primers with a hammer made me nervous, and it wasn’t long after that I picked up a Lee Classic Single Stage Press. The Lee Loader was a fantastic introduction into reloading. I’d recommend it to anyone just starting out. I got the press for a special birthday price of $105. A steal. I’m now loading .357 Magnum on it and giving the Lee Turret Press some consideration for my next press along with the old standard Dillon 550. No matter whether I go with a Lee Turret Press or a Dillon 550, I think I will continue to use the single stage press for .308 and any other precision rifle cartridge I might load in the future.

Two things I was adamant about when I was doing my research before I started hand loading. I will never load for rifle, and I only want a Dillon 550. No single stage press. Ironically, I started loading for .308 and on a Lee Loader and moved up to a single stage press.

I think you made a good choice. Now, the next challenge is to find some powder.

tcoz
09-09-15, 04:43

Right now, powder supplies are the best I've seen in the past few years. Get it while you can. Even if you have to pay the hazmat fee, it only adds about $1.75 per pound to a 16 pound order. IMO, it may not be long before we start to see things tighten up again, especially as we get closer to Nov 2016.

Jim D
09-09-15, 07:02
Bought in person to bypass the shipping fees. Already have 3#.

wilson1911
09-09-15, 10:39
If anyone is considering a progressive press for precision rifle, the Dillon 550 makes a great single stage also. I started loading rifle on a friends rockchucker, as I learned more I ordered a new machined head that is clamped on for my dillon. This is it's biggest downfall. The stock head fits too loosely when trying to get it perfect. Shell plates are a non issue, 1 plate will fit several calibers, there is an excel spreadsheet on the web that can help you with knowing what you have. I am just trying to say....don't discount a dillon to being a high volume machine only. I mic every final round for my 338 LM. There is no difference to doing it on a single stage.

When I go into the gun store, the powder/primer section is the first place I go to every time. After the last couple of years of seeing those shelves empty, I take no chances. I always tell everyone, stop by the gunshop and just do a walk thru to see what they have and buy something. Either 1 box of ammo or 1 # of powder adds up over time and does not hurt your wallet.

With the shootings growing in number this year who knows. But we should all know 6 months prior and a year after the election will be the worst.

Jim, once you get setup take a pic of your setup for us. I like to see fresh ideas from new guys just getting into the hobby. Also, if you can list each piece of equip that you have we can see if you left out something. And lastly, if that Cabela's tumbler craps out send me a PM and I will help you out.

Jim D
09-09-15, 16:32
Thanks for the offer.

Here's a list of what I have (absent the bench shot):
Lyman Universal case trimmer with power adapter for a drill
Lyman case prep multi-tool
Hornady Lock n Load classic kit - single stage press, digital scale, trickler, hand priming tool, powder dispenser, manual and other accessories
RCBS .300BLK small base/tape crimp dies
Hornady Custom Rifle dies in .223/.308
Lee Factory crimp dies in .223/.308
Lee universal decapper die - so I can deprime before tumbling
Cabela's Model 400 Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit
Dial calipers (non electronic)
Lee reloading manual
Extra hornady LNL bushing and lock rings for dies

And components for .308/.300BLK and .223 (more on the way with rebate).

wilson1911
09-09-15, 20:58
I would add a shoulder bump gauge -its good to know how much you are re-sizing to, you only need as much as necessary. It will extend brass life.
Imperial sizing wax- works great gets on your hands/fingers and only need a swipe every now and again DO NOT RESIZE WITHOUT LUBE ON EVERY ROUND
Stuck case puller- READ ABOVE or you will be using this lol
Primer pocket hand reamer- cc media(vibratory tumbler) does not clean primer pockets well
Swager tool if your reloading LC brass - don't reload mil brass without it.
Extra deprimer pins- just trust me on this, or it will ruin your reloading at the most inconvenient time.
Powder funnels - multiple neck sizes
Shell trays-plastic are fine
Black sharpie's- write powder charge/col from 0-give/grn on round when working up loads
Steel wool- poor man way of finding lands, works great.
Bullet puller- just trust me again on this
Bullet Comparator- measures 0-give on bullets. SINCLAIR HEX STYLE BULLET COMPARATORS

I would buy some GMM and see it if shoots well out of your rifles, if so replicate that round.

Now for the fun stuff. After you have stuck a few cases, broken a primer pin, dented case necks, and left media in the primer pocket you will have made that leap into the realm of knowing when you have been at it too long. You are the only quality control there is. Take a break bro. A single stage is the long road. On pistol I reload 600-700 rounds in 2 hrs, then quit/check loads or I process 100 rounds of 338 LM brass in two hours excluding wash time of course. Resize, deprime, trim, measure each one,prime, powder. I'll seat bullets on the next night because I measure each one.

Welcome to the club !!!! this is where we all started, we just don't tell everyone the mistakes we made when first starting out. On your first stuck case you will use profane words in 5 languages. I have a special box on the bench that sh#t rounds/brass goes into. And finally, when you have your load worked up correctly make a dummy round and write all info on it. This makes setting up dies easy.

Oh and don't forget girls with guns calenders from Dillon/Magpul.

Jim D
09-09-15, 22:21
I would add a shoulder bump gauge -its good to know how much you are re-sizing to, you only need as much as necessary. It will extend brass life.
Imperial sizing wax- works great gets on your hands/fingers and only need a swipe every now and again DO NOT RESIZE WITHOUT LUBE ON EVERY ROUND
Stuck case puller- READ ABOVE or you will be using this lol
Primer pocket hand reamer- cc media(vibratory tumbler) does not clean primer pockets well
Swager tool if your reloading LC brass - don't reload mil brass without it.
Extra deprimer pins- just trust me on this, or it will ruin your reloading at the most inconvenient time.
Powder funnels - multiple neck sizes
Shell trays-plastic are fine
Black sharpie's- write powder charge/col from 0-give/grn on round when working up loads
Steel wool- poor man way of finding lands, works great.
Bullet puller- just trust me again on this
Bullet Comparator- measures 0-give on bullets. SINCLAIR HEX STYLE BULLET COMPARATORS

I would buy some GMM and see it if shoots well out of your rifles, if so replicate that round.

Now for the fun stuff. After you have stuck a few cases, broken a primer pin, dented case necks, and left media in the primer pocket you will have made that leap into the realm of knowing when you have been at it too long. You are the only quality control there is. Take a break bro. A single stage is the long road. On pistol I reload 600-700 rounds in 2 hrs, then quit/check loads or I process 100 rounds of 338 LM brass in two hours excluding wash time of course. Resize, deprime, trim, measure each one,prime, powder. I'll seat bullets on the next night because I measure each one.

Welcome to the club !!!! this is where we all started, we just don't tell everyone the mistakes we made when first starting out. On your first stuck case you will use profane words in 5 languages. I have a special box on the bench that sh#t rounds/brass goes into. And finally, when you have your load worked up correctly make a dummy round and write all info on it. This makes setting up dies easy.

Oh and don't forget girls with guns calenders from Dillon/Magpul.

I'm shooting Speer Gold Dot 150gr a bit tighter than 168gr GMM currently. My interest in a .308 is for more than group size, so I like having bullets that perform when they get there, too.

wilson1911
09-09-15, 23:13
Are you shooting factory guns ? They normally have a slower twist which makes them like the lighter bullets. Heavier bullets will out perform at longer ranges. I do not shoot 308, it always seems to get put down the list. I am in love with my 6.5 CM too much to buy anything else atm. Box ammo, low recoil, and shoots like a laser beam. Took an out of town friend to the range today and let him shoot it. First time shooting 500y he made a 3.5" group. He was giggling.

How far are you shooting ?
What kind of gun ?

Jim D
09-10-15, 07:58
Shooting a ruger American predator 18" 1:10 twist with a SilencerCo Omega mounted via QD brake.

rcoodyar15
09-10-15, 12:33
I started with a Lee Loader in .308. Seating primers with a hammer made me nervous, and it wasn’t long after that I picked up a Lee Classic Single Stage Press. The Lee Loader was a fantastic introduction into reloading. I’d recommend it to anyone just starting out. I got the press for a special birthday price of $105. A steal. I’m now loading .357 Magnum on it and giving the Lee Turret Press some consideration for my next press along with the old standard Dillon 550. No matter whether I go with a Lee Turret Press or a Dillon 550, I think I will continue to use the single stage press for .308 and any other precision rifle cartridge I might load in the future.

Two things I was adamant about when I was doing my research before I started hand loading. I will never load for rifle, and I only want a Dillon 550. No single stage press. Ironically, I started loading for .308 and on a Lee Loader and moved up to a single stage press.

here you go! get into reloading for $30

I had one starting out. no scale powder scoop. Close your eyes when you swing the hammer

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/lee-loaders-rifle-prod54664.aspx