PDA

View Full Version : copper vs guilding metal bullets

MegademiC
09-03-15, 14:57
I noticed plated bullets, a lot of bullets actually, are copper jacketed/plated. Is there a benefit to guilding metal vs pure copper for pistol rounds or does it not matter. Just a question of curiosity.

markm
09-04-15, 06:54
Good guilding jacketed bullets have shot more accurately for me. But the plated bullets are cheaper to shoot.

texasgunhand
09-04-15, 10:28
I have been using berrys plated for a while now and like them. The idea of plating their lead bullets is to keep from leading barrels, and it works well. You have to load them like a lead bullet though.

I like the hornady fmj bullets but for shooting paper the plated bullets cost wise , work great. Give some a try just don't over crimp and you will like them. I buy the hornady fmj and put them away and shoot the berrys at the range.

I don't really shoot over 25 yards so I don't notice much of a difference between the berrys and the hornady fmj outa a glock 19 ,,as markm said a good fmj is a bit better you can push them faster than plated.

But for the money you save even if you didnt like them you can always go back. The key is not hot loading them or over crimping. Over 750 rounds and I've not noticed any leading but I clean my guns after shooting. I pick up a box of 250 berrys 9mm at Cabelas for like 25 bucks. For $25 give um a try.

One thing I've noticed with the berrys is they dont seem to flatten like a lead bullet their slick and will penetrate,i tryed to stop one in a 4×4 and it went through and kept going,, loaded at 4.2 ,with 4.4 being max charge useing win.231. I thought it wouldflatten out and stop, I was wrong.lol

MegademiC
09-04-15, 13:29
Thanks guys. I currently use barrys, but was wondering if they were plated with guilding metal if there would be a benefit.

I know some bullets like gold dot are copper plated, and there doesn't seem to be a performance difference, but thought maybe I missed something.

Basically why is guilding metal used at all, rifle bullet integrity?

Bimmer
09-04-15, 14:00
I know some bullets like gold dot are copper plated, and there doesn't seem to be a performance difference, but thought maybe I missed something.

This is news to me...

AFAIK, Gold Dots are jacketed, and bonded, NOT plated.

texasgunhand
09-04-15, 17:53
This is news to me...

Correct.. They have a thin metal jacket not a coating. Think of a nickel, it's made of copper but with an elecroplated nickel finish on the outside. Berrys have like a very thin electroplating of copper over a lead bullet to help it from leading up barrels. Not an actual metal jacket.

.46caliber
09-04-15, 18:04
Basically why is guilding metal used at all, rifle bullet integrity?
Gilding metal is an alloy, 95% copper 5% zinc usually. Copper is a relatively soft metal and can foul a barrel like lead, though not as rapidly as copper is harder than lead. Barnes TSX shooters are familiar with extra copper fouling as they are 100% copper projos.

Zinc is much harder than copper or lead. The addition of zinc in gilding metal serves to make the jacket a little harder and reduce copper fouling significantly when compared to 100% copper.

This is my understanding with a small metallurgical knowledge base.

MegademiC
09-04-15, 23:35
This is news to me...

Where are you finding this? I've read it's plated, and the product description would fit, but it's not explicit, so I don't know for sure.

MegademiC
09-05-15, 08:48
Okay, thanks. Btw, I emptied my pm box now.

Onyx Z
09-05-15, 11:22
Gilding metal is an alloy, 95% copper 5% zinc usually. Copper is a relatively soft metal and can foul a barrel like lead, though not as rapidly as copper is harder than lead. Barnes TSX shooters are familiar with extra copper fouling as they are 100% copper projos.

Zinc is much harder than copper or lead. The addition of zinc in gilding metal serves to make the jacket a little harder and reduce copper fouling significantly when compared to 100% copper.

This is my understanding with a small metallurgical knowledge base.

This is correct.

markm
09-06-15, 15:01
Thanks guys. I currently use barrys, but was wondering if they were plated with guilding metal if there would be a benefit.

I don't think you can plate with an alloy/guilding material. It's pure copper to plate... as I understand it.

MegademiC
09-06-15, 15:08
I don't think you can plate with an alloy/guilding material. It's pure copper to plate... as I understand it.

I've seen that thrown around a lot, but it's false. Alloys can be plated, but it's more difficult to control, so maybe that's why no one does it?

I suppose the juice ain't worth the squeeze, and it seems the juice isn't any better for pistol rounds anyways from what you all are telling me.

.46caliber
09-06-15, 15:12

That is also my understanding. Even if you could get both elements suspended in solution I don't see how you could control the percentages. But its been a long time since my last chemistry class.

MegademiC
09-06-15, 15:49
That is also my understanding. Even if you could get both elements suspended in solution I don't see how you could control the percentages. But its been a long time since my last chemistry class.

Like I said, it's possible, but you are not going to get a kit off Amazon and start plating anything useful.

Companies hire engineers for stuff like that.