PDA

View Full Version : Base and rings

kev8287
09-05-15, 15:02
I need suggestions for a base and rings for a Remington 700 AAC, .308, with a 16.5 inch barrel. I need suggestions for base and rings. Thanks in advance.

pyrotechnic
09-05-15, 15:15
I've had good luck with both badger ordinance and seekins

irondude
09-05-15, 16:49
I love these: http://www.americanrifle.com/M10-scope-ring-mounts.html

American Rifle Company.

mark5pt56
09-07-15, 15:47
Might be a good idea to state your budget.
Edit
There's a large selection out there and also what you may desire in regards to looks, etc.

Hard to go wrong with any of the big names, Nightforce, Near, Seekins, Vortex, AI, Spuhr, many others. I would check the sale boards on here and Snipershide, always good deals.

I would do a 20moa 1913 rail and lows for up to 50mm objective, that way your cheekpiece won't be to low with a standard stock. Most seem to add a stock pouch with those. If you have plans of a chassis, go with at least highs. If an adjustable cheekpiece on a standard stock, maybe mediums, that way you have some latitude.

one already
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5554-options-accessories/14066802-wts-leupold-mark-4-steel-rings

kev8287
09-08-15, 06:48
Sorry for the delay. My budget is 350.00-400.00.

Eurodriver
09-08-15, 07:26
I need suggestions for a base and rings for a Remington 700 AAC, .308, with a 16.5 inch barrel. I need suggestions for base and rings. Thanks in advance.

Oh God...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164921-Update-2-8-Help-Torque-Specs-for-Precision-bolt-gun-build-ammo-questions-etc

Summary of that thread: My 16.5" AAC 308 shot 5 MOA with Federal Gold Medal match. I hope you have better luck than I did. I had to rebarrel the rifle with a Krieger.

I used Vortex Precision Rings and a Badger Ordnance base. Well within your budget and top quality.

mark5pt56
09-08-15, 15:49
Call up Mile High, they are sponsors here. They will get you geared up and treat you fairly.

ubet
09-21-15, 21:26
One word, badger. You can't go wrong with bo.

giggity
10-01-15, 18:04
WOW.. that's how much I usually spend on glass. In this case get a Spuhr 1-piece. Aluminum scope base of your choice... I would go over $70 for a base. If your anal retentive like I am then bed the rear of the base as I'm sure your receiver isn't 100% true. Honestly everything I just suggested is complete overkill on a 16" tube.. well it does have a 1:10 I assume... that's going to help your bullet choice but I don't see you going much past 500 yards... your velocity is going down hill from there with a 16.5" barrel with factory loads.

I have good luck with Weaver 20moa bases and TPS rings. The key to accuracy is getting it all put on the rifle correctly... so a plumb bob (I use a socket and some white twine screwed to my ceiling), 2 levels and a good piece of glass. I would let you know right now for $400 I would have my base, rings and scope. But ymmv...

I forgot... for instance I have a R700 XCR (the all stainless gun with a 20" 1:12 twist aluminum bedding block stock... I think a BC or HSP, forgot.)

It has a bedded weaver base and burris "tactical rings" which are hand-lapped to complete true. With a Leupold vx2 using the CDS system I can print 5 AMAX's into basically one ragged hole from 50-500 yards... my rounds go whacky around transonic which is around 650 yards on this gun (155 grain AMAX). It's my hunting rifle. I use a Leica LRF for elevation... works pretty slick.

Accuracy is all in the details.. not always in the $$$. Now competition prs from all kinds of whacked out positions where you have to do on the fly do hold overs, range your targets, value wind and spin dials all while the clock is going is a different story.

m1a_scoutguy
10-04-15, 23:52

Sorry for the delay. My budget is 350.00-400.00.

Good Lord,,,,$400 bucks for rings and a base !! :stop: Its nice to have that kind of $$$ for items that's for sure. There are tons of options it depends on what your doing with the rifle ! If its a huntin gun or something that's your going to be tossing in a truck,saddle bag and treating it rough and such then spend what ya think ya need. I know the Badgers are good,I know guys that have the Seekins rings and they are nice/strong and about $140ish just for the rings ! Leupold makes good stuff also. If you want a decent set and both from the same manufacturer go with EGW,they make both bases and rings. http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=244&pg=1 Far from the budget you have to spend but it will leave you plenty of $$$ for other goodies ! Here are the rings: http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=260&pg=1

giggity
10-05-15, 00:18
I could get a female hooker in LAVG for that much booter... for at least a hotel show up... and a hot tub ****... and no my wife wont mind she'll be there.

FourT6and2
10-19-15, 23:20
Seekins and American Rifle Company are going to be the best rings you can get right now. And well within your budget. There's also Nightforce and Badger.

Vortex also sells rebranded Seekins rings. Same exact rings, just different logo. I think they also offer a unique size/height as well though, that Seekins doesn't sell.

Dist. Expert 26
10-20-15, 11:11
I have Vortex (seekins) rings on a Nightforce base. I have absolutely zero complaints with the setup. If I had more than one long gun a QD mount would be nice, but for those of us with one weapon regular old rings work just fine.

Crapshot
10-22-15, 19:01
Badger 20moa base, Seekins rings. It's really that easy. Badger rings are a few bucks more from what I remember but if you look at guys with $2000+ scopes most are sporting Spuhr mounts or Seekins rings (prob along w/ BO base but that's harder to tell from a picture)