PDA

View Full Version : Need a Suitable Case for a Trunk Rifle

Tulsa
09-06-15, 08:20
I have a Colt carbine I would like to keep in the trunk of my car. I have a giant pelican case I can use but it is bulky and heavy. Do I need it, or would a basic nylon fabric case with padding be sufficient? Summers here can be very hot and humid with frequent winter temperatures below freezing, if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it, what is the best cold-weather lubricant for an AR? Many thanks.

Inkslinger
09-06-15, 08:30
If you intend to remove it at the end of each day, any case will probably work fine. If you intend to put it in and leave it in, I would highly recommend against that. I would be less concerned with environmental factors and more concerned with security.

Kgknight
09-06-15, 09:24
Tulsa,
The case is personal preference Imo. But the bulk of the hard case will become a hinderance with regular day to day use of the trunk. You can leave the rifle in the trunk if you want, I have two rifles that stay in the trunk pretty much all the time. The ammo is swapped out once a year and the rifle is inspected at least once a month. My area has extreme heat and humidity in the summer. Any wear points where bare metal is exposed will rust without oil applied. Hope that helps alittle

Co-gnARR
09-06-15, 09:24
What other criteria do you have for this case? Is it just to keep the carbine from sliding around and getting scratched, or do you want to lock the case and secure it to the trunk in case some one breaks into the car? In any event, if the weather is humid, I would consider adding a desiccant pouch during the warm months. My mountain bike got spots of corrosion on it from sitting in a bike locker after just one week in VaBeach- I imagine the trunk of your car would be similarly harsh environment. I get desiccant pouches for free from work, but I think you can find them at boating/RV stores.

SkipD
09-06-15, 09:30
In any event, if the weather is humid, I would consider adding a desiccant pouch during the warm months. My mountain bike got spots of corrosion on it from sitting in a bike locker after just one week in VaBeach- I imagine the trunk of your car would be similarly harsh environment. I get desiccant pouches for free from work, but I think you can find them at boating/RV stores.No desiccant will work for very long (and maybe not at all) unless it and the equipment that it's supposed to protect are in an air-tight container. That would put some serious limitations on what cases one might be able to use. Pelican cases are generally air-tight, but not very compact.

GH41
09-06-15, 09:39
I have a Colt carbine I would like to keep in the trunk of my car. I have a giant pelican case I can use but it is bulky and heavy. Do I need it, or would a basic nylon fabric case with padding be sufficient? Summers here can be very hot and humid with frequent winter temperatures below freezing, if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it, what is the best cold-weather lubricant for an AR? Many thanks.

Why do you want to store a rifle in your trunk? This question should be answered first.

ST911
09-06-15, 10:00
This isn't a "use the search button" reply, but you will find an awful lot of threads on carry cases and trunk gun methods. Many include detailed reviews and photos. I have an assortment of lower profile cases like the Eagle discreet case, backpacks, etc that work well for me. Hard cases are heavier, bulker, and less flexible.

Best lube for cold, same quality lube for hot.

HighDesert
09-06-15, 10:59
I'll second the opinions that leaving a rifle in your trunk is not the best idea, of course depending on why you need to...

I would not use anything with foam padding as they retain moisture.

I'd honestly store it disassembled in a gym bag or small something along those lines - sneaky bag...

Just easier to deal with and much less conspicuous if you are constantly taking it in and out.

If you are concerned with the 30 seconds it takes to put it together, you probably have bigger things to worry about in that situation.

Still would help immensely to know the purpose, as this usually drives things.

SkiDevil
09-06-15, 11:45
I have this case for my AR rifles . It works real well at storing a carbine with an optic mounted, magazines, and other items inside one container. The case is well padded and would be very suitable to being carried in a trunk. Another plus is it looks like an innocuous piece of luggage and the rifle can be quickly accessed. Although it is not listed on the Blackhawk website, I found one on Optics Planet.

I have owned mine for several years and it's held up well. It spends time in my trunk, but not on a permanent basis.

I would second the Eagle products line as well.

Link:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhawk-discreet-weapons-case-40-m-16-black.html

http://www.eagleindustries.com/products/products.aspx?id=4

Tulsa
09-06-15, 12:00
Thanks so much, guys. As to my purpose, with an AR in my trunk I am more likely to have one nearby should things go south.In other words, I would generally put it there and leave it there.

Inkslinger
09-06-15, 12:15
Thanks so much, guys. As to my purpose, with an AR in my trunk I am more likely to have one nearby should things go south.In other words, I would generally put it there and leave it there.

I have no issue with carrying a rifle for emergencies. My SBR comes with me everyday to work in a very inconspicuous backpack. That is the only place I would consider leaving it unattended in my vehicle. Where I work there is always someone there, the facility is monitored by cameras, and police are frequently on the property. I would by no means consider putting a rifle in my vehicle and leaving while out shopping, dinner with the wife, or overnight anywhere. The chances of having your car broken into or stolen are probably greater than you needing a long gun in your daily travels.

26 Inf
09-06-15, 12:48
The chances of having your car broken into or stolen are probably greater than you needing a long gun in your daily travels.

I'm not disagreeing Inkslinger. Statistics and probabilities are great tools, I use them daily at my job to determine tactics and teaching points. They, statistics, are fine until you find yourself on the wrong side of the curve. Air travel is safe until you find yourself crashing into the Indian Ocean; it is safer to be in a classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary than in your Mother's SUV on the way to school, until Adam Lanza shows up.

I would honor both threats, theft, and the need for self-defense, by getting a carry option that would allow the weapon and case to be secured to my vehicle.

In my situation, I take the weapon with me into work, it rides in the passenger compartment of my vehicle, and if need be it can be locked (outside the bag) under the rear seat of my pickup. A determined thief, with time and tools could get it, but that is true of almost any vehicle storage. Although if they merely have a quarter they could get 500.00 worth of optic and BUIS.

Assess your needs. I think it is a bad idea to simply leave any weapon in a vehicle for many reasons. Ask any police armorer what shape the shotguns are in when he does armorer service on weapons left in the units.

Inkslinger
09-06-15, 13:07
I agree. My concern is the times when you can not readily access your vehicle, but others can. Other than the situation I described, my CCW must fill my needs. Would I rather carry a long gun when my wife drags me to the mall? Damn straight! But it if I needed it, it's in the car.

OP, like I said, I have no problem with carrying a long gun. I would seriously consider the ramifications of leaving it in your vehicle for what is essentially, indefinitely. A discreet case, (even if the rifle needs broken down) carried in and out is considerably more responsible than leaving it in the car.

Inkslinger
09-06-15, 13:10
I think it was Claude Werner that said, "It's not the odds, it's the stakes." That can go for either the need for a long gun or the consequences of having one stolen.

SeriousStudent
09-06-15, 14:44
What about a locking rack bolted into the trunk? If you are an LEO, your agency may be able to help you with some leads on that, or potentially help with the install. I have found that providing the item to be installed along with a case of beer, can produce some after-hours miracles.

This is not any kind of dig, but I am not a fan of leaving weapons in a vehicle. They have been way too many good folks murdered with weapons stolen from cars. A friend of mine who is a retired police LT buried two of his officers last year, both murdered with a gun stolen from a vehicle. Again, that's not a beatdown, just offering food for thought.

R0CKETMAN
09-06-15, 19:24
http://www.truckvault.com/Products/By_Customer/Law_Enforcement.php

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/7B18321C-1CEB-4796-83CF-5A4D95523A86_zpsaqlnjln2.jpg

Sparky5019
09-06-15, 19:51
Check out Drago Gear. Just bought a nice double rifle case of their's. Good padding and plenty of storage. Even comes with back pack straps if you're so inclined.

DirectTo
09-06-15, 20:55
If you're going to take it in and out of your vehicle every day a sports bag is great.

I use a Wilson tennis racket case for my SBR on the rare occasion I throw it in my car. Holds my 10.5" SBR, five 30 round mags, one 20 round in the gun, and the suppressor if I want. And I can grab it, walk anywhere, and nobody takes a second look with the huge Wilson logo on the side.

Tomac
09-06-15, 21:00
Here's my discreet case, was $29 when I ordered it and has room for a disassembled AR plus a separate compartment for mags, mag carrier, etc.:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FXWI6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
Tomac

JBecker 72
09-06-15, 21:53
I use a First Spear Noveske discreet rifle bag, but I don't leave it in my truck. This thing is great, looks like a camping back pack.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/C08D8C28-094A-4E44-9CAA-9993F54B900E_zpsl6lvqtcl.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/hownowbrowncow_02/media/Guns/C08D8C28-094A-4E44-9CAA-9993F54B900E_zpsl6lvqtcl.jpg.html)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/0E51033B-E76E-45B2-AA7A-DF68AC0BAF51_zpsgscqdh1q.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/hownowbrowncow_02/media/Guns/0E51033B-E76E-45B2-AA7A-DF68AC0BAF51_zpsgscqdh1q.jpg.html)