PDA

View Full Version : Living Without Lies--Clemson Institute for Study of Capitalism Video

Dienekes
09-06-15, 20:19
Stumbled over this. It's sufficiently incendiary and incorrect that I thought it might interest some here. It's about 20 minutes long, so get a cold one and then run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPnXiXXCrU

Published on Aug 25, 2015
CISC Executive Director C. Bradley Thompson speaks to the incoming class of Lyceum Scholars at Clemson University on the nature of a liberal arts education.

In answer to a question as to the topic--I'd call it a restatement of what an education is, is not, and why it matters. An answer to Jake Holman's question in "The Sand Pebbles", "What the hell went wrong?"

SeriousStudent
09-06-15, 20:42
I'll have to watch this. A new friend graduated from Clemson and served as an Army officer. I suspect he will find this interesting as well.

His degree was in engineering, by the way - not liberal arts.

MegademiC
09-06-15, 23:22
It's funny, the people who always poo-poo capitalism are the ones who don't make anything. I don't think I met a single fiscal liberal in college (ChemE), and that includes a few lesbians. Even in my career, most people I meet are conservatives. I'd think 90% of America was conservative if I didn't know I live in a bubble.

I'll try to watch this tomorrow.

Benito
09-07-15, 02:32
It;s refreshing to see that there are still some sane people in the largely indoctrinated academic fields. These guys must be pariahs among their peers.

MegademiC
09-07-15, 10:36
It;s refreshing to see that there are still some sane people in the largely indoctrinated academic fields. These guys must be pariahs among their peers.

Just watched it. Sums up my thoughts as wellm

Eurodriver
09-07-15, 12:08
It's funny, the people who always poo-poo capitalism are the ones who don't make anything. I don't think I met a single fiscal liberal in college (ChemE), and that includes a few lesbians. Even in my career, most people I meet are conservatives. I'd think 90% of America was conservative if I didn't know I live in a bubble.

I'll try to watch this tomorrow.

Aside from one chick who thinks Israel deserves to be blown off the face of the earth because the first born son, Ishmael, deserves everything, my career is very similar.

When the black women at your work are complaining about Obama it is a good day. :cool:

SeriousStudent
09-07-15, 22:57

I was a college professor for five years.

"An unsatisfactory attitude" is why I was not there for year six. But I also had the highest-rated student evaluations in the entire department. Funny, they were never able to explain that one.....

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-07-15, 23:11
That's the most productive 21 minutes I have spent on YouTube since I watched a bunch Milton Friedman lectures.

http://www.clemson.edu/capitalism/lyceum.html

Brimstone
09-08-15, 00:21
Proud to be an alumni of Clemson. Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.