PDA

View Full Version : Lost Knives

Kain
09-06-15, 20:46
So, a while back there was a discussion on a new knife and people wanting to keep it in a certain price range, mostly because of the desire not to be out a lot of money if there were to lose it. Now, to be upfront I absolutely respect that since, let us all be honest, we don't want to throw money away, after all the less money we waste the more toys we can buy, or beer, or ammo, or hookers and blow.

Anyway, it got me thinking about about losing knives and what I have lost as well as the ones others have lost. Thought maybe it would be a good thread and just decent discussion to talk about the number and types of knives we have all lost and perhaps how or in what conditions they were lost.

I myself have been fortunate, have carried knives that were cheap, as well as several Emersons and the only knife I ever lost, truly lost at least, since there is another that was jacked from me for a time, though that is a another story entirely, Anyway, the one I lost was a Tigersharp(Now owned by Camillus I think) while out on a hunt. We were going through some really heavy brush, and while I was wearing a set of leggins, I stupidly decided to stick the folder in an outside pocket opposed to leaving it in my jeans. Anyway, the pocket clip was not the greatest and had been bent out a few times plus had a very pronounced point that stuck out and was prone on catching on stuff, the main reason I had bent it out several times. Must have caught on something because when we were done it was no where to be found.

Have jacked up a couple pocket clips for my Emersons over the years too, but since I carry in the same pocket as my wallet, that usually stops it from being pulled out of my pocket. Since I last bent the clip back to fit, and over bent it a little, haven't caught it on anything. And I now just bury it in my pocket if I am going into an area which is heavy brush or wooded.

So what about the rest of you? What have you lost and how did you lose them? Maybe we can learn something and perhaps help other from losing some nice knives.

TMW89
09-14-15, 15:36
I have a decent selection. Never lost one. I always try to think about what I'm about to do, where I'm about to go before I pick one for the day.

If I'm going fishing, for instance, I'll only take a filet knife and a little cheap victorinox. Even that will have a small lanyard I can stick my pinky finger through to make sure I don't drop it. But if I did, at least it wasn't anything expensive.

So I guess just kind of plan ahead and keep track of the darn thing [emoji4]

Chipper78
09-14-15, 19:53
When I was a kid I would loose my Swiss Army knife every once in a while. I got my first "nice knife" at the age of fourteen (a spyderco Endura) I'm thirty-seven and haven't lost one since. I still have that Endura, it's dull as can be and I haven't carried it since my late teens but it still opens and locks just fine. I since have acquired a pretty decent collection of knives and the worse thing I ever did was misplace one in my truck while installing a stereo, took me a week to find it. I've carried a knife every single day of my life since I got that first spyderco and I think that's why I don't loose them, it second nature to have it and I always know where it is.

Dionysusigma
09-14-15, 19:56
Of the dozens of knives I've owned, only one was actually lost - a Case Executive 041. Not entirely sure if I can go into detail about how it was lost, but it's literally the only one I've checked my pockets for and couldn't find (when it most definitely should have been there).

Every other bladed object I've had that're no longer in my possession were given away, either out of disinterest or as gifts, save for a Leatherman Surge that could be considered payment for services rendered. :)

Inuvik
09-15-15, 12:49
I think the key is to have a routine that you do not deviate from. My knife is either in my right front pocket, or in a certain drawer in a cabinet near my front door. Those are the ONLY places it ever is, and so there is not much of a chance to loose it. My most expensive knife is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leak. Not big $$, but special to me as my brother gave it to me as a Best Man present at his wedding. I would be super bummed if I ever lose it.

HardToHandle
09-15-15, 14:04
Most of my knives lost involve girls. Seriously.

Being married and in the routine, I do not seem to lose them. That said, losing a $200 knife is more of frustration than a crisis financially for me.

CAVDOC
09-29-15, 08:30
Lost one of my favorites for when I travel- usually when I am going to destinations where it would be difficult or impossible to bring a gun I usually take a couple knives and a flashlight or two.
I place these in the check bag for flying. I had a nice al mar that was not in my luggage upon returning home despite placing it in an inside zipper pocket of the suitcase. Only thing I can figure is it was swiped by some tsa worker or baggage handler!
I never wear a knife with the clip showing. I have found putting it deep in the pocket prevents loss, can be drawn as fast or faster than a clip on, and you can walk casually with your hands in your pocket knife positioned for a fast draw without arousing suspicion much like why I pocket carry a primary ( obviously small) pistol
Another consideration to me if I see a clipped knife on someone it makes me wonder if there is a gun that goes with it, and am sure bad guys have developed the same idea. Living in a rather non permissive environment ( you guys in free America have know idea what it is like to live in the iron curtain state of New York as a law abiding gun owner) the less I do that suggests I am armed the better.

soulezoo
09-29-15, 16:05
I had an original Buckmaster that I got right after they hit the market....

Lost in a divorce...:mad:

BillBond
09-29-15, 16:43
When I lose a knife I usually find it later when I am not looking for it.

Tigereye
09-30-15, 06:08
I lost a small 2 blade Case knife that was a gift from a couple of friends. I forgot it was in my pocket when I was going through Security in an airport and "gave" it to the TSA worker. The only other knife I lost was a Spyderco Delica that fell out of my pocket during a rifle/handgun class. I really don't like losing things.

longball
11-19-15, 18:38
I lost a Delica 4 that I had for years. Although I've got another one now (orange handle so it's easier to find when dropped) for some reason it's just not the same. I still look for that knife when I'm in the area.

Allen
11-19-15, 19:25
2 Kershaw Blur's in the woods, both were due to relying on the clip that had been heavily damaged. CKRT M16 with a chronically loose screw on the clip clearing brush at a worksite.

About 3 years back I bought a spyderco endura - first thing I did was locktite the screws for the clip!

opngrnd
11-19-15, 19:38
I lost a Delica 4 that I had for years. Although I've got another one now (orange handle so it's easier to find when dropped) for some reason it's just not the same. I still look for that knife when I'm in the area.

The "not the same feeling" you described hits me right in the feels. I lost my favorite edc(Gen 4 Endura) for months once, and despite having chances to buy a new one, could never seem to get around to doing it. I was pretty happy when I found it.

Tigereye
11-19-15, 19:45

Funny. I now carry an orange one also and have looked for the lost one during a couple of other classes in the same location.

longball
11-19-15, 20:10
I keep telling myself it's the flat grind on the newer orange knife that makes me not like it as much. Deep down inside though, I know it's just because I had the other one for so long and had become so attached to it. When I lost that original I tried two different benchmades before buying another Delica and it still doesn't feel right. What's worse is I bought one for both of my brother in laws at the same time so when we get together I still see theirs clipped to their pockets. Makes me feel left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airhasz
11-19-15, 20:33
I routinely carry Hinderer, Strider, Emerson, BM and ZT knives. I lost and replaced a ZT 0620BW six months ago and it was frustrating constantly looking for it. Actually forgot about it till this thread.

Tequila45
11-20-15, 05:31
I've never lost one per say, but I've given knives as gifts and to find out that weeks later that person has lost it. I really get upset over that. I've had a couple knives stolen from my home when I was younger from family members that I thought would never do that to me. Only one that I can say I lost but I really forgot it at a friends house and didnt realize it till after I left.

Knives that were stolen:
Spyderco calypso
Spyderco spur
Benchmade balisong

JackFanToM
11-20-15, 08:07
Had a guest check out of one my hotels, and head to the airport, after they left I realized he had left his laptop bag on the lobby floor. I grabbed it and gave chase to the airport (I was running the Clarion at the El Paso airport at the time - now a Hawthorne). He had already made it through security (this is way prior to 9/11), so I decided to track him to the gate. I forgot I had my mother of pearl handled custom folder, my dad bought me for my 10th birthday, in my pocket. Security found it, and confiscated it...even when I walked back by in less than 1 minute I was denied it's return....so lost, or stolen. I still miss that little lock back.

Inkslinger
11-20-15, 08:16
I lost one that belonged to my late grandfather. He taught me to shoot when I was 6. Gave me my first knife about the same time. It was a folder from one of the worlds fairs with Mickey Mouse on it. When he died a couple years ago, my mother gave he a couple of his pocket knives. He always had one in his pocket. I started carrying one of them. Never used it, just kept it in my pocket. Somehow, someway, that thing fell out of my pocket. Needless to say I was upset. I still have another one, but it stay on my dresser.

afff_667
11-20-15, 08:17
I bought a Spyderco Delica 4 many, many years ago when I first discovered that there were actually larger folding knives out there other than a Buck 110. I don't know what it was about that particular Spyderco, but I misplaced it a few times early on only to find it several days to a couple of weeks later. I never had, and still never have, that problem with any other knife I've ever owned...just that particular Spyderco.

The last time I misplaced it, though, was right after the integral packet clip had broken but I was still slipping it into my pocket most mornings. I suspected that it must have fallen out of my pocket somewhere, so I didn't spend too much time looking for it beyond the usual places. About seven months ago while doing some spring cleaning, my wife came up to me and held out that Spyderco and asked if it was mine. She was cleaning out a junk drawer (hers, not mine) and came across it. It's been more than six or seven years since that knife went missing, so I didn't immediately recognize it until I noticed the broken pocket clip. She didn't remember finding it or putting it in her junk drawer, so I suspect she probably found pretty soon after I "lost" it.

I sent the knife back to Spyderco for a new pocket clip, and they returned it to me looking almost like new. I've got several other more expensive medium to large folders that I've acquired over the years, but I'm back to carrying that Spyderco most days when going to work because it's lightweight and gets the job done.