PDA

View Full Version : I'm drunk. (Alcohol and RDS Clarity)

WS6
09-06-15, 21:59
No, this isn't going to be THAT bad of a post, and I'm only drunk in the legal sense. Had a beer and a few shots. The reason for my post, is that I took my Aimpoint out of the closet (It's not mounted on a weapon) and looked through it. Aimpoint dots have always looked good to me, but not what I'd call FLAWLESS! Always a bit of bloom when turned up. Anyway...it looks FLAWLESS! I actually had a few beers the other night, and observed the same thing (again, not on a weapon, we aren't mixing bad combo's here!).

Why is it that my Aimpoint dots are photographic crisp when I've got a few ounces in me, and only "pretty darn good" when not so? Obviously the pupils will dilate with ETOH, but will that really clean up a dot? I have not noticed the dots being any better at night, actually, worse typically for me. Again, with a magnifier they ARE perfect, but un-aided, always just a bit, I dunno, prone to a "solar flare" here and there maybe 1/5th the size of the dot. Like I said, pretty darn clean, but with a bit of ETOH, they are laser-crisp perfect. Anyone know? Any ophthalmologists on board?

Kain
09-06-15, 22:03
Uneducated thought from a fellow M4carbineer on a few beers and shots.

BEERGOGGLES!!!!!!!!!!

That is my contribution to the thread. Have a nice night.

WS6
09-06-15, 22:09
Uneducated thought from a fellow M4carbineer on a few beers and shots.

BEERGOGGLES!!!!!!!!!!

That is my contribution to the thread. Have a nice night.
Haha! No, it really is THAT much crisper. I noted it the other night, as well, but thought nothing of it and figured maybe my eyes were just on point at that time (you will likely note that sometimes dots look better/worse depending on sleep, etc.) But no, it's definitely ETOH enhanced!

Kain
09-06-15, 22:13
Haha! No, it really is THAT much crisper. I noted it the other night, as well, but thought nothing of it and figured maybe my eyes were just on point at that time (you will likely note that sometimes dots look better/worse depending on sleep, etc.) But no, it's definitely ETOH enhanced!

LOL.

Maybe it is on the distance on which your eye is focusing?

titsonritz
09-06-15, 22:19
Let me catch up and I'll get back to you. :alcoholic:

WS6
09-06-15, 22:27
LOL.

Maybe it is on the distance on which your eye is focusing?

I cannot brain, but what? I am looking at my wall, and across the parkinglot with it. Nothing I have not done sober, and it looks MUCH better (remember, it's not on a weapon, we are not being a menace to society!)

Gunfixr
09-06-15, 23:09
Damn, well, I'm on my fourth long Island iced tea, so theoretically I could answer, but I don't usually get guns out about now.
Only the edc in the house is loaded, so any others are safe, but you know, swinging stuff around, knocking things over, holes in walls, scaring the wife, etc.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Kain
09-06-15, 23:15
I cannot brain, but what? I am looking at my wall, and across the parkinglot with it. Nothing I have not done sober, and it looks MUCH better (remember, it's not on a weapon, we are not being a menace to society!)

Brain what? Doesn't mean your eye ain't focusing off or something. I still say beergoggles.

Honestly though, who think we couldn't get some defense funding to test this shit out on a scientific level. I mean if they fed alcohol to college athletes to test the effects how can't this be legit shit? I mean, I'll wear a lab coat and everything. Lol.

WS6
09-06-15, 23:28
Brain what? Doesn't mean your eye ain't focusing off or something. I still say beergoggles.

Honestly though, who think we couldn't get some defense funding to test this shit out on a scientific level. I mean if they fed alcohol to college athletes to test the effects how can't this be legit shit? I mean, I'll wear a lab coat and everything. Lol.

I'm serious, it's not beer goggles. I'm still typing correctly...

The dot looks flawless.

Uprange41
09-07-15, 02:08
Red dots are clearest when you are focusing past them. Take a camera, focus it to infinity, and the dot will be crisp. Same as holding a target focus and "seeing" the dot, rather than looking at the dot. .

This is just a guess as to why it's more crisp when you're buzzing, but it could be because the muscles that make your eyes focus are more relaxed, which would mean your eyes are naturally focusing further away. You know, if you look at your phone, you have to work to actually focus your eyes, but some titties 300 yards away are crystal clear.

And this is all coming from a guy named "inebriated", so you should probably pay attention ;)

Leaveammoforme
09-07-15, 03:22
Maybe it has something to do with your blood being a little thinner. Maybe you're taking pressure off a jacked up optical nerve allowing you to see differently. I'm no botanist or paleontologist, but your super power sucks.

JBecker 72
09-07-15, 09:41
I'm gonna have to give this a look. For science....

diving dave
09-07-15, 11:00
Ive noticed the same thing with woman...after a few shots those 7's are looking like 10's ;)

thebarracuda
09-07-15, 11:10
Diving dave for the win! Been there, done that; literally.

WS6
09-07-15, 11:20
Well, it's morning, now, and my RDS is back to "pretty darn good" instead of "flawless!" Also, anecdotal story ripped from my FB wall last night around 1am...

So...I had a few drinks and decided I wanted Taco Bell. Well...no driving, so I jogged it. Got there, and the lobby was closed. I went and stood in the drive through and made relatively convincing car-noises. A couple in a van ahead of me told me they would not serve me, car-noises or not. They then told me to get in the van. Yeah, I was bigger so I did, what the hell, you only live once. Anyway, "Christy" introduces herself and her male companion "Christian", we make small talk, they place my order for me, I pay, they kick me at the curb as requested, and I really just love how friendly the people here are! That "Christy" character even randomly reached out and grabbed my bicep. Now, I'm kindof an expert on drunk people, and you don't just typically grab them. Super friendly people, here.

No, I did not bring my Aimpoint to Taco Bell with me.