PDA

View Full Version : New Spartan-9 AR-9 Lower

st381183
09-07-15, 11:24
Hey guys,

I just ordered a Spartan 9 AR-9 stripped lower that takes small frame Glock mags. I got it for $140 shipped thru Joe Bob Outfitters. It appears to be a JBO branded New Frontier Armory C-9 lower. It is made from 7075 T-6 aluminum so it should be sturdy. They look pretty sexy and seem to follow the Quarter Circle 10 lower lines. I'm looking for reviews or info on the inter webs and there isn't much out there. Has anyone here made the leap of faith on this lower? Apparently this lower will use a proprietary upper to accomplish LRBHO. I own a QC10 AR9 lower that I built into a very reliable pistol. I'm hoping this lower will start bringing the costs down without sacrificing quality. Anyone have any experience they wish to share?

pyzik
09-09-15, 10:52
Hey guys,

I just ordered a Spartan 9 AR-9 stripped lower that takes small frame Glock mags. I got it for $140 shipped thru Joe Bob Outfitters. It appears to be a JBO branded New Frontier Armory C-9 lower. It is made from 7075 T-6 aluminum so it should be sturdy. They look pretty sexy and seem to follow the Quarter Circle 10 lower lines. I'm looking for reviews or info on the inter webs and there isn't much out there. Has anyone here made the leap of faith on this lower? Apparently this lower will use a proprietary upper to accomplish LRBHO. I own a QC10 AR9 lower that I built into a very reliable pistol. I'm hoping this lower will start bringing the costs down without sacrificing quality. Anyone have any experience they wish to share?

I've got one on the way but no experience yet. Just emailed asking on upper release dates.

st381183
09-09-15, 11:21
I built an AR9 on a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower and I love it. I saw this for half the price and went for it. It looks like a hybrid clone of a QC10 and a Lonewolf G9 lower. I'm a little concerned about a lack of built in feed ramp but the LW G9 doesn't have one a gets good reviews. So I guess we'll see. I'm going to build it out and test it with my current upper. Let me know what they say about the proprietary upper release date.

pyzik
09-09-15, 12:40
I built an AR9 on a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower and I love it. I saw this for half the price and went for it. It looks like a hybrid clone of a QC10 and a Lonewolf G9 lower. I'm a little concerned about a lack of built in feed ramp but the LW G9 doesn't have one a gets good reviews. So I guess we'll see. I'm going to build it out and test it with my current upper. Let me know what they say about the proprietary upper release date.

"About two weeks". I'll be getting both. Have good expectations based on previous receivers.

st381183
09-10-15, 16:57
I just picked up my New Frontier Armory Glock C9 lower which has been rebranded by Joe Bob Outfitters as the Spartan 9. It is actually very nicely made. A little "clunkier" than the QC10 lower but what's nice is there are no roll pins. Everything is threaded and uses threaded set screws for the bolt catch, mag release, and a set screw for the rear takedown pin detent. Appears well made of 7075 T6 aluminum. No machining marks and it has an upper tension screw. All threaded set screws are include and I got it on sale for $139 shipped. The mag release is polymer but that is a good thing when you consider Glock mags are polymer. I'm pleased with it. It doesn't have built in feed lips but the mag sit ever so higher and a hair closer to the chamber than a QC10 lower. I test fed some 9mm snap caps and it seems to feed just fine. I think I'm going to hold out for the New Frontier Armory proprietary upper that operates the LRBHO feature though any upper will work. I think these lowers are a great value for an AR9 build that accepts Glock mags. Though branded as a Joe Bob Outfitters Spartan 9 lower these are made by New Frontier Armory and I think they hit it out of the park. Can't wait for the release of the NFA upper to complete this build.

pyzik
09-11-15, 06:30
I just picked up my New Frontier Armory Glock C9 lower which has been rebranded by Joe Bob Outfitters as the Spartan 9. It is actually very nicely made. A little "clunkier" than the QC10 lower but what's nice is there are no roll pins. Everything is threaded and uses threaded set screws for the bolt catch, mag release, and a set screw for the rear takedown pin detent. Appears well made of 7075 T6 aluminum. No machining marks and it has an upper tension screw. All threaded set screws are include and I got it on sale for $139 shipped. The mag release is polymer but that is a good thing when you consider Glock mags are polymer. I'm pleased with it. It doesn't have built in feed lips but the mag sit ever so higher and a hair closer to the chamber than a QC10 lower. I test fed some 9mm snap caps and it seems to feed just fine. I think I'm going to hold out for the New Frontier Armory proprietary upper that operates the LRBHO feature though any upper will work. I think these lowers are a great value for an AR9 build that accepts Glock mags. Though branded as a Joe Bob Outfitters Spartan 9 lower these are made by New Frontier Armory and I think they hit it out of the park. Can't wait for the release of the NFA upper to complete this build.

Thanks for sharing!
I knew there were no feed lips built into the lower and I was curious if this would affect feeding or not. I decided that if NFA is putting them out that enough R&D has been done to ensure functionality.

Look forward to seeing what you put together.

pyzik
09-11-15, 09:05
st381183, question... Is there a particular LPK I should be looking at? This does require a 9mm hammer right?

st381183
09-11-15, 21:13
st381183, question... Is there a particular LPK I should be looking at? This does require a 9mm hammer right?

That depends on the 9mm bolt. I believe that all bolts modified for Glock magazine lowers are ramped so that a regular hammer will work. For instance the JP Glock bolt I use in my QC10 lower is ramped and I used a regular LPK with an unmodified hammer. I would use a standard LPK with no worries. I'm not a trigger snob so milspec suits me fine but they advertise that any standard trigger (Geissele, Timmeny, etc) should fit and function properly. So the short answer is any LPK is fine to use with a ramped 9mm bolt that is modified for Glock mags.

st381183
09-16-15, 18:32
Test fired my 9mm upper with my Spartan 9 lower and everything worked flawlessly. Now I need to wait for New Force Armory to release the proprietary LRBHO upper which is due out soon and build an upper for this. Much more budget friendly than quatercircle10 lowers.

pyzik
09-16-15, 21:22
Test fired my 9mm upper with my Spartan 9 lower and everything worked flawlessly. Now I need to wait for New Force Armory to release the proprietary LRBHO upper which is due out soon and build an upper for this. Much more budget friendly than quatercircle10 lowers.
Great to hear! Thanks for the heads up on the LPK BTW.
Can't wait for the uppers to come in stock! Haha, I'll be honest even though I am on the mailing list I checked the site today...

st381183
09-16-15, 21:26
They are on sale at Schuyler arms right now.

pyzik
09-17-15, 07:17
They are on sale at Schuyler arms right now.

Uppers?

st381183
09-17-15, 09:41
Oops. I misread your post. Lowers are on sale at Schuyler. I'm checking everyday for the upper too.

st381183
09-26-15, 20:34
New Force Armory has the modular AR-9 Glock Bolts on their website now.

So I just received my New Force Armory AR-9 Modular 9mm BCG (Glock & Colt Compatible) today for use in my New Force Armory AR-9 Glock Small Frame Lower that I purchased from Joe Bob Outfitters labeled as the Spartan 9.(Use this link http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_9mm_Glock_Magazine_Compatible_Billet_Lower_p/jb-spartan9.htm for photos of the lower from JBO website.) When I installed the BCG in my rifle with a CMT Machining Upper, the rifle would not close all the way. Try as I might the upper would not completely close due to something not fitting with the BCG. I put the BCG in a rifle using a Quarter Circle 10 Glock Small Frame lower and the same situation. I called NFA and sent an email telling them I was considering sending it back. I took a bunch of photos because I wanted to be prepared to explain to NFA what the issue was should they start questioning me and just started fiddling with it when I discovered what the issue was.

The large ejector (the white steel or aluminum hook sticking out of the top of the lower) is too wide across the top to allow the bolt to sit low enough for the upper and lower to close all the way. I was finally able to persuade the rifle to close up and started working the bolt by hand. I noticed rub marks on the top of the ejector closest to the left side of the lower as looking down from above. After several minutes of hand cycling the bolt, it stopped hanging up. I took the upper and lower apart and I can now get them to close up with little effort. I continued working the bolt and it has worn a small piece of material of off the top of the ejector, about a 1/1000th of an inch. I took some fine grit sand paper to the ejector and smoothed it out. I test fired 50 rounds of 115 grain 9mm FMJ through it and the BCG worked flawlessly. Now I am just waiting for the release of the AR-9 C-9 LRBHO upper so I can complete this build.

So the point of this long story is to tell you that the BCG has tighter tolerances than the ejector has and if you have problems fitting your upper to your lower, very gently sand and round off the top of the large metal ejector on the left side as looking down on the lower from above and the bolt should seat fine and the upper close up as it should. Once I got this taken care of the BCG ran fine. I like the modular design and while I don't see me making any caliber changes, for $30 - $100 less than the nearest BCG manufacturing competitor I could not be happier. Hopefully NFA will read this review and make the ejector less thick.

Keep in mind that I do not think this will work with a Quarter Circle 10 lower due to the tall ejector on their lower unless you are willing to sand down the top of the ejector so the bolt can slide freely. My JP 9mm Glock style bolt works fine so I don't see any need to sand anything for now.

For the money I think New Force Armory is the way to go for an AR style lower that uses Glock magazines. The lower itself is exceptional and it mates to uppers very tightly with no slop at all, I am very impressed and hope they can keep up the good work.

pyzik
09-28-15, 07:46
New Force Armory has the modular AR-9 Glock Bolts on their website now.

So I just received my New Force Armory AR-9 Modular 9mm BCG (Glock & Colt Compatible) today for use in my New Force Armory AR-9 Glock Small Frame Lower that I purchased from Joe Bob Outfitters labeled as the Spartan 9.(Use this link http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_9mm_Glock_Magazine_Compatible_Billet_Lower_p/jb-spartan9.htm for photos of the lower from JBO website.) When I installed the BCG in my rifle with a CMT Machining Upper, the rifle would not close all the way. Try as I might the upper would not completely close due to something not fitting with the BCG. I put the BCG in a rifle using a Quarter Circle 10 Glock Small Frame lower and the same situation. I called NFA and sent an email telling them I was considering sending it back. I took a bunch of photos because I wanted to be prepared to explain to NFA what the issue was should they start questioning me and just started fiddling with it when I discovered what the issue was.

The large ejector (the white steel or aluminum hook sticking out of the top of the lower) is too wide across the top to allow the bolt to sit low enough for the upper and lower to close all the way. I was finally able to persuade the rifle to close up and started working the bolt by hand. I noticed rub marks on the top of the ejector closest to the left side of the lower as looking down from above. After several minutes of hand cycling the bolt, it stopped hanging up. I took the upper and lower apart and I can now get them to close up with little effort. I continued working the bolt and it has worn a small piece of material of off the top of the ejector, about a 1/1000th of an inch. I took some fine grit sand paper to the ejector and smoothed it out. I test fired 50 rounds of 115 grain 9mm FMJ through it and the BCG worked flawlessly. Now I am just waiting for the release of the AR-9 C-9 LRBHO upper so I can complete this build.

So the point of this long story is to tell you that the BCG has tighter tolerances than the ejector has and if you have problems fitting your upper to your lower, very gently sand and round off the top of the large metal ejector on the left side as looking down on the lower from above and the bolt should seat fine and the upper close up as it should. Once I got this taken care of the BCG ran fine. I like the modular design and while I don't see me making any caliber changes, for $30 - $100 less than the nearest BCG manufacturing competitor I could not be happier. Hopefully NFA will read this review and make the ejector less thick.

Keep in mind that I do not think this will work with a Quarter Circle 10 lower due to the tall ejector on their lower unless you are willing to sand down the top of the ejector so the bolt can slide freely. My JP 9mm Glock style bolt works fine so I don't see any need to sand anything for now.

For the money I think New Force Armory is the way to go for an AR style lower that uses Glock magazines. The lower itself is exceptional and it mates to uppers very tightly with no slop at all, I am very impressed and hope they can keep up the good work.

Awesome. Thanks for the update.
I do plan on using the NFA BCG as well.

(Still waiting on receivers)

SeriousStudent
09-28-15, 20:08
Thanks for the tip on the ejector. I have one of their lowers and a ramped BCG.

I ordered a upper from Aero Precision that does not have the forward assist. I called Brownell's and grabbed a Colt 9mm buffer, buffer spacer and the Colt brass deflector parts to add to the Aero upper receiver. I got a 9mm barrel from ADCO that is 5 inches long. The F1 e-file will happen this week. I'm going to SBR it and add an Octane 9 can. I ordered a rail that will fit over the can, but leave an inch of the can protruding.

Should be quite the fun range toy for the yard apes to play with.

CRAMBONE
09-29-15, 04:20
What rail are you going to use?

Thanks for the tip on the ejector. I have one of their lowers and a ramped BCG.

I ordered a upper from Aero Precision that does not have the forward assist. I called Brownell's and grabbed a Colt 9mm buffer, buffer spacer and the Colt brass deflector parts to add to the Aero upper receiver. I got a 9mm barrel from ADCO that is 5 inches long. The F1 e-file will happen this week. I'm going to SBR it and add an Octane 9 can. I ordered a rail that will fit over the can, but leave an inch of the can protruding.

Should be quite the fun range toy for the yard apes to play with.

st381183
09-29-15, 15:29

Don't laugh but I really like the UTG Pro Slim line in FDE. I'm going to use the 7" carbine rail with a Flashcan on the muzzle. I have the UTG pros on all my ARs and for the money they really can't be beat. I hate spending $2-300 on a rail when there is a decent budget minded rail available. Lockup on the upper is nice and no need to time the barrel nut because the gas tube goes over the top. Also included a barrel wrench with the rail.

HansTheHobbit
09-29-15, 17:06
I couldn't find them on the site. Can someone post a link?

SeriousStudent
09-29-15, 19:59

This one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_12_KeyMod_Radical_Rail_p/rf12rail.htm

1BallJ
09-29-15, 22:40
I've got that rail on my 10.5 pistol build. It rocks, my brother keeps trying to buy it off me.

I am looking at building a 9mm Glock AR but I am having a hard time choosing a lower. I really can't tell the difference between the QC10 or the Spartan or any of the other ones going on. Anyone have a break down or the different lowers?

st381183
09-30-15, 19:41
O
I've got that rail on my 10.5 pistol build. It rocks, my brother keeps trying to buy it off me.

I am looking at building a 9mm Glock AR but I am having a hard time choosing a lower. I really can't tell the difference between the QC10 or the Spartan or any of the other ones going on. Anyone have a break down or the different lowers?

I own both, a QC10 Glock Small Frame Lower and a New Force Armory Glock lower. They are both nice lowers but for price and ease of assembly the NFA lower wins. The LRBHO on the QC10 is hit and miss and assembly requires roll pins. everything is The NFA lower has included threaded pins for everything that requires a roll pin for assembly and has nicer lines than the QC10. The NFA lower is a little heavier and chunkier but for $160 MSRP compared to $275 MSRP for the QC10 the NFA lower wins. I am still waiting for the NFA upper with proprietary LRBHO system to be released. Hopefully they got the LRBHO working reliably. Also the NFA lower fit all my upper tightly with no slop or gaps. NFA did a very nice job on this lower. Their 9mm modular bolt is very nice as well for only $149.99. Joe Bob Outfitters sells NFA rebranded Glock lowers with a Spartan helmet engraved on the left side for $149.99. JBO calls it the "Spartan 9".

1BallJ
10-01-15, 00:48
Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it. I would like to have the LRBHO. I have my upper already picked out so an upper with LRBHO would not work.

Decisions decisions. The price for the QC10 is certainly a turn off (especially since that's the stripped price)

st381183
10-01-15, 01:19
QC10's LRBHO is unreliable. If I insert an empty mag and charge the weapon it will hold the bolt open. If I am shooting and the mag runs dry it won't hold open after the last round. If I try to let my JP bolt have more rearward travel to allow the bolt catch more time to lift into position, the bolt destroys my bolt catch. So for the price of one QC10 stripped lower you could get an NFA stripped lower $160 plus a slick side NFA LRBHO upper for $139.99 and replace your upper. Whatever you do I'm pretty sure you'll like using Glock mags in an AR platform. Just don't rely on the QC10 LRBHO feature to be 100% reliable which is why I searched out another system for reliable LRBHO.

1BallJ
10-01-15, 19:15
Alright Gents I am most likely going to grab a Spartan 9.

I like that it uses standard AR parts. LRBHO isn't a deal breaker.
Do I need to use an NFA bolt or will any 9mm bolt work?
I was going to go with a JP 9mm silent capture spring. Or would I better going with colt 9mm buffer and spring?

I am new to the 9mm AR scene so any help is appreciated.

st381183
10-01-15, 21:07
Alright Gents I am most likely going to grab a Spartan 9.

I like that it uses standard AR parts. LRBHO isn't a deal breaker.
Do I need to use an NFA bolt or will any 9mm bolt work?
I was going to go with a JP 9mm silent capture spring. Or would I better going with colt 9mm buffer and spring?

I am new to the 9mm AR scene so any help is appreciated.

I have used a JP bolt with my Spartan 9 and it worked just fine. I was running the bolt with a Wolff extra power spring and Spikes ST-9X 9mm buffer. I think there are some other threads dealing with tuning the silent spring system you may want to check before you commit.

1BallJ
10-02-15, 00:20
Thank you for the info. I am looking at either the QC10 BCG or the NFA BCG in conjunction with the silent capture spring. Maybe the Wolf Bolt with the JP capture spring.

1BallJ
10-05-15, 17:00
st: what muzzle device are you running?

st381183
10-05-15, 17:15
st: what muzzle device are you running?
A cheapy little Flashcan off of Amazon.

1BallJ
10-05-15, 17:43
I was looking at the KVP Linear Comp but they don't make them in 1/2x28 anymore. I have read the 1/2x28 223/5.56 will work but I am not willing to chance it.

st381183
10-05-15, 19:14
On the Flashcan they make the bore a single large one size fits all. I ordered a 556 and a 9mm and the bore size was the same for what it's worth. The way I looked at it was my 9mm handgun doesn't need a muzzle device so my AR9 pistol with a 7.5" barrel really does t either except for asthetics.

CRAMBONE
10-07-15, 17:01
This one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_12_KeyMod_Radical_Rail_p/rf12rail.htm

Not gonna lie My first thought was, geez that's one ugly ass rail. Have you gotten it in yet? I would like to weights and how it feels and all. But damn that seems high.

CRAMBONE
10-07-15, 17:02
So you guys are saying a Spartan 9 (NFA) lower will work with a Colt 9mm upper and BCG?

st381183
10-07-15, 17:11
So you guys are saying a Spartan 9 (NFA) lower will work with a Colt 9mm upper and BCG?

Only if you use a BCG modified for Glock magazines which New Frontier Armory sells for a very reasonable price. Remember that the NFA Glock lower accepts only Glock magazines.

CRAMBONE
10-07-15, 18:09
Only if you use a BCG modified for Glock magazines which New Frontier Armory sells for a very reasonable price. Remember that the NFA Glock lower accepts only Glock magazines.

Yeah that's what I'm gathering from a lot of the 9mm lowers (the BCGs have to modified). QC10 mods them don't they?
Also if I have a Colt BCG cut for Glock mags will it still run with a Colt style lower and mags?

st381183
10-07-15, 18:25
Yeah that's what I'm gathering from a lot of the 9mm lowers (the BCGs have to modified). QC10 mods them don't they?
Also if I have a Colt BCG cut for Glock mags will it still run with a Colt style lower and mags?

A Glock modded BCG will still work with Colt mags. The New Frontier modular BCG works very well and is only $150. The Glock modded BCG I use is the JP 9mm BCG.