PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT interested in NFA items?

Ron3
09-07-15, 23:22
Yea I'm aware I'm asking this in M4carbine.net but I still wonder if there isn't a number of folks who don't have enough interest in NFA items to obtain something.

Now I'm not talking about machine guns as much because an SBR, AOW, SBS, etc X2 or X3 are far cheaper than a machine gun and you can make new ones.

In my case. I could afford a few NFA items but despite my thoughts of how cool some things may be just haven't had enough desire. (Despite my efforts and knowledge that this is the best time to do it)

-I don't have silencers because I don't have a home range. If I go to the range or someone else's property other people are firing guns without silencers so I have to wear ear pro anyway.

- I don't have a SBR or SBS because there are a niche item, I don't plan on using a silencer, and there are bullpups and rifle-caliber pistols. (With padded buffer tubes, cheek rests, etc available.

-Machine guns / DD are too expensive and I can't make/order a new one (as mentioned above)

So YES much of it is cool and YES if that's reason enough for you I'm happy that your happy. And NO I'm not making a comment on the whole NFA program/politics side of it.

My question is: Are there others here that can afford to buy and perfectly willing to wait for the NFA procedure to obtain (one or multiple) SBR, SBS, AOW, or silencers but simply can't find the use/desire for one?

SteyrAUG
09-07-15, 23:47
For a basic carbine I can completely understand why somebody might be content with a 16" barrel and no extra paperwork, registration and all the extra effort. I'm trying to move out of state and rest assured all my NFA items are "one more thing" that I wish I didn't have to do. I wish I could just pack up my firearms collection and relocate without any additional consideration.

For you, it makes sense. But I have suppressed weapons even though I don't have a home range. I run suppressed weapons, and as a consequence SBRs, because I have had occasion to fire weapons indoors and I quickly learned the value of a suppressor.

The MP5s are just because I saw "Die Hard" one time too many.

Ron3
09-08-15, 01:43
I did consider getting suppressors for HD guns.

But I'm not using an NFA anything for HD when I'd not see it again for months or never.

Easier just to keep electronic ear pro by the primary HD weapon...if I have time to grab it I probably have two seconds to put that on, too. Then if anyone else in the house starts shooting I'm protected from that noise as well.

I was recently tempted to get a suppressor for a gun I have...a Beretta .25. But I'd have to find a threaded barrel (yea, right), have it installed, (heard it's a bitch on these guns), Find a suppressor made for a .25, (tough...) no longer be able to see the sights, and then I'd be tempted to wear out a pistol that isn't produced anymore with scant spare parts...The effort takes the fun out of it...

I thought about getting one for my Glock 19. Easy swap in a usefull caliber. I'd have to swap out the sights (to suppressor sights), hope the gun still works with the can and deal with the messed up balance with the can. Plus...the 9mm cans are huge. They double the length of the pistol. Meh.

SteyrAUG
09-08-15, 02:31
I did consider getting suppressors for HD guns.

But I'm not using an NFA anything for HD when I'd not see it again for months or never.

Easier just to keep electronic ear pro by the primary HD weapon...if I have time to grab it I probably have two seconds to put that on, too. Then if anyone else in the house starts shooting I'm protected from that noise as well.

I was recently tempted to get a suppressor for a gun I have...a Beretta .25. But I'd have to find a threaded barrel (yea, right), have it installed, (heard it's a bitch on these guns), Find a suppressor made for a .25, (tough...) no longer be able to see the sights, and then I'd be tempted to wear out a pistol that isn't produced anymore with scant spare parts...The effort takes the fun out of it...

I thought about getting one for my Glock 19. Easy swap in a usefull caliber. I'd have to swap out the sights (to suppressor sights), hope the gun still works with the can and deal with the messed up balance with the can. Plus...the 9mm cans are huge. They double the length of the pistol. Meh.

As I said, for you, it makes sense. A couple points I'd offer for consideration.

I've done indoor shooting with suppressors and electronic ear protection. I found electronic ear pro to be a bit of a pain in training and drills, they wouldn't be my first choice for a HD situation. And if I am in a HD situation, I wouldn't want them to take my 6920 any more than I'd want them to take my 6945. Given FL laws probably wouldn't even be an issue.

I also wouldn't suppress your Beretta .25 for the reasons listed. If you want to go entry level get a Beretta 21 and one of the many compact suppressors out there. And if you decide to get something for your G19 look at a low profile can like the Osprey. I didn't change the sights on any of my Glocks and have no intention of doing so.

Another option is an integrally suppressed Ruger Mark III. That would probably be the most practical one you could do that you'd actually enjoy owning.

titsonritz
09-08-15, 02:49
I'm trying to move out of state and rest assured all my NFA items are "one more thing" that I wish I didn't have to do. I wish I could just pack up my firearms collection and relocate without any additional consideration.

This is a huge reason I haven't pulled the trigger on anything NFA yet. My kids have grown and gone and I've spent the last four years moving around to different states as I see fit. Maybe when I land in Arizona I'll go for it

Eurodriver
09-08-15, 05:55
I have friends who adore my NFA items but won't get them themselves.

They always bring up BS like the ATF being able to Inspect my house any time, they are gonna confiscate them, and of course that Obama is gonna put me in a camp.

It's really not a hassle.

Hmac
09-08-15, 06:28
I don't lust for "NFA items" just because they're regulated. What I found was that an SBR handles much more to my liking than a 16 inch and, for me, it was worth the paperwork hassle. Right now, I don't feel the same way about suppressors so I haven't bothered. Yet.

Gunfixr
09-08-15, 06:42
I don't last for them just because they are regulated, but because they either serve a purpose, or are just cool the way they are.
For instance, while the AR sbr is cool, if you don't run suppressed, shoot indoors, etc, I can see why it may not feel necessary. However, a non sbr uzi just doesn't have the cool factor that an sbr one does, because it doesn't really look right. I have a non sbr uzi, and an sbr b&t tp9. The non sbr tp9 is an ungainly pistol, like a mac 10 is. The sbr version is a tiny rifle. The only reason my uzi is not an sbr is because the tp9 is, but I still contemplate it.
Suppressors are a world unto their own. Even at the firing line of a public range, where ear pro is still a requirement, my 308 has half or less the recoil suppressed than non suppressed. This makes an extended shooting session much nicer, a competition a slight advantage, without the concussion of a brake, and makes it shoot able for my wife. I do have a couple friends who also run suppressed, if it's just us, ear pro is optional.
Machine guns are low on my list, not many places I can shoot them, and trying to keep them supplied with ammo is more than I wish to do. I do get to mess with them occasionally at work, so get a little "fix" here and there.

I also know people who like my Nfa items, but won't get any for the reasons listed above.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

GH41
09-08-15, 06:45
I have friends who adore my NFA items but won't get them themselves.

They always bring up BS like the ATF being able to Inspect my house any time, they are gonna confiscate them, and of course that Obama is gonna put me in a camp.

It's really not a hassle.

I am sure it isn't a hassle but some of us prefer to remain as small a blip as possible on big brothers radar.

Eurodriver
09-08-15, 07:08
I am sure it isn't a hassle but some of us prefer to remain as small a blip as possible on big brothers radar.

With a gov't issued CCW? And credit card records of firearm and ammunition purchases? And UPS/Fedex delivery records of said purchases? And involvement on a "fringe militia gun forum"? And countless 4473s?

The ATF is so completely backwards in registration (It's still on paper!) and so low on manpower for the NFA branch that I would rather have 100 Form 4s on record than one credit card transaction with a major online firearm vendor. Big data gonna find you bro, not a Form 4 filed away in Martinsburg.

Pilot1
09-08-15, 07:25
I have never been obsessed with NFA. Not into full auto, but I would like an SBR, and suppressor at some point. I just really haven't been motivated to do it partly because my work has moved me around the country, and partly because I am fine shooting my non NFA firearms. The indoor noise issue is a worry, however, and I do have a HK USP Tactical .45 that is made for a can, so I may do that.

jmp45
09-08-15, 07:27
I've tossed the idea of getting a can for a couple years but really can't justify for my use. I live in town and can only shoot at the local range. We don't live in a high crime area (at least for now) so I just keep electronic ear pro by my hd firearms. I'd have sufficient time to get the ear pro on in emergency. As a musician I'm always concerned about hearing loss but for our situation I really can't justify at this point. On a side note I think it's ridiculous that suppressors are NFA to begin with.

JBecker 72
09-08-15, 07:49
I keep saying I'm gonna make one of my carbines an SBR and buy a suppressor for it, but I never end up doing it. This has been going on since about 2012.

MegademiC
09-08-15, 07:51
I'm getting into now for hd and hunting, as well as shooting private property at night with houses nearby. I'd rather have a silencer out of my hands during investigation then lose hearing firing a 556 inside. Just my opinion, ymmv.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-08-15, 07:57
On the recoil, didn't I read on PRB that the modern muzzle breaks beat suppressors when it comes to recoil reduction?

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/07/muzzle-brakes-recoil-results-for-6mm-6-5mm/

Now, that doesn't address the muzzle blast and signature (blast and sound), but screw the guy next to me on the line ;)

If I had a need for a subsonic 300BLK SBR with a suppressor, that would be cool. To be honest, I don't see the need for a suppressor on a 22LR when you are running subsonic ammo and rifle length barrels. I was a bad boy and skipped the ear-pro on the last string yesterday with my CZ VPT and I could hear the firing pin hit more than anything.

Yes, its a bit of rationalization due to having to go the trust route, but the other 'out of state issue' is that men in my family have a tendency to croak unexpectedly. The last thing I need is to have my wife have to deal with NFA items, or not deal with them and that causes problems.

I guess not wanting NFA items make me an M4C 'queer'. I look at the pictures and try to tell myself that I really want them, but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger.

WillBrink
09-08-15, 08:02
Yea I'm aware I'm asking this in M4carbine.net but I still wonder if there isn't a number of folks who don't have enough interest in NFA items to obtain something.

I have an interest, but not an interest that exceeds my interest to avoid the BS and $$ to get them.

Alex V
09-08-15, 08:02
I only wish I could have NFA items.

The wife goes back to school full time, today. Two years of one income is going to suck, but one of the things that helps me with it is knowing that once she is working again, we will leave NJ for a free state. My first act of business once we are settled will be an SBR, a 5.56 can and a 7.62 can. I can't wait.

I can't justify a MG, as fun as it would be, the price is just ridiculous.

Eurodriver
09-08-15, 08:40

The wife goes back to school full time, today. Two years of one income is going to suck, but one of the things that helps me with it is knowing that once she is working again, we will leave NJ for a free state. My first act of business once we are settled will be an SBR, a 5.56 can and a 7.62 can. I can't wait.

I think this is why I got involved in NFA. After living in Hawaii, seeing cool SBRs and suppressors and knowing that I couldn't have one made it easy to justify buying 4 cans and 2 SBRs as soon as I left the place.

Kind of like how high schoolers think beer is the coolest thing in the world, but when you're 23 it's kind of old news. When you can't have something it really makes you want it.

cbx
09-08-15, 08:58
I'm interested. Just not at a place in life where I can justify them yet.

As fun as machine guns are to shoot, the practicality of use other than fun for average Joe isn't there. They area hell if fun though, just not sure it's 15k fun. But if money isn't an issue then why not I guess.

I like how suppressed guns just reduce overall signature. Even when 556 isn't that quiet it'll keep the people in the surrounding area from knowing what's up. In the right conditions you can hear an AR several miles away.

BBossman
09-08-15, 09:11
Yeah, this is pretty much my reason as well.

I have an interest, but not an interest that exceeds my interest to avoid the BS and $$ to get them.

soulezoo
09-08-15, 09:27

^^^This... x200.

Talon167
09-08-15, 09:31
I don’t have any… “the system” has me beat on this one. It’s too much cost and effort required for the outcome for me. I’d love to have an SBR and a Suppressor (more than an SBR) but I don’t shoot on my own land, so I wouldn’t get the use out of it I’d like to. Plus the trust, $200 stamp, the wait, etc… meh, just not for me right now.

A few of my buddies have them and keep telling me to get them while we still can. They are probably right and in 10 years I’ll be kicking myself for not doing it. But, so it is…

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-08-15, 09:31

No NFA, but you get to date a college chick- that is good trade ;)

Sensei
09-08-15, 09:37
There is a lot of negative inertia to be overcome for entry into NFA world. However, you will wonder how you ever survived with those unsightly, long, unsuppressed barrels once you overcome it. It's kinda like switching to Grey Goose or Stoli after drinking Aristocrat for years - it's hard to go back once you've had the good stuff.

GH41
09-08-15, 10:35
With a gov't issued CCW? And credit card records of firearm and ammunition purchases? And UPS/Fedex delivery records of said purchases? And involvement on a "fringe militia gun forum"? And countless 4473s?

The ATF is so completely backwards in registration (It's still on paper!) and so low on manpower for the NFA branch that I would rather have 100 Form 4s on record than one credit card transaction with a major online firearm vendor. Big data gonna find you bro, not a Form 4 filed away in Martinsburg.

No CCW for me either. If I really had a use for an SBR or can I would have to accept the exposure but I don't.

brickboy240
09-08-15, 11:30
Yes...I fit that description.

I would not mind a suppressor or a short barreled rifle or shotgun but the hassle of obtaining one and the costs involved combined with my lack of need have me less than interested in doing so.

At one time, I wanted to thread the barrel on my 92FS Beretta and buy a can but I looked into it and too much hassle and expense for something that is basically a toy for me. Setting up a trust, then the cost of the can and threading the barrel and then the 200 dollar stamp....forget it!

Some might find this fun or cool or need it but me...I can live without these things.

Ron3
09-08-15, 12:45
I thought about having a suppressed .22 pistol.
But I've had enough .22's in life to know it's the most unreliable caliber there is. Name the malfunction and .22 rim fire owns the records. Now that .22 ammo is only about 40% cheaper than 9mm forget it.

I'd rather pay $9 a box for 9mm. Or if I really wanted a smaller caliber $13--15 a box for always sub-sonic .25, .32, or .380.

Okay if I really wanted quiet with decent reliability I might consider an sbr (very short barrel) .22 bolt action rifle with a suppressor. That would be great to hunt squirrels with...hmm..

wildcard600
09-08-15, 12:54

This ^^^^

Eurodriver
09-08-15, 14:40
No CCW for me either. If I really had a use for an SBR or can I would have to accept the exposure but I don't.

That's understandable.

Realistically speaking, an 11.5" SBR is a lot more practical than a 16" if you don't go out of state (even then, it's not a big deal) Lighter, easier to swing, and not much trade off.

But suppressors are pretty useless. They get extremely hot (at least 500* hotter than the actual barrel of the gun), you can't holster pistols with one on, you can't carry a rifle slung with one mounted, and you can't remove it until it cools. Add to the fact that most ammo is supersonic and even a subsonic 9mm is still loud enough to annoy someone inside the house there's practically no benefit to them whatsoever.

To that note, it's a wonder they were ever banned in the first place! If privacy is a concern, you're not missing out on much for sure.

GlockWRX
09-08-15, 15:47
I've been mostly happy with my NFA purchases:

Rifle suppressors...Meh. I really dig them in a precision application. Off a bi-pod or rest the weight is no bother, and it cuts down on dust/debris in the prone. But for a 5.56mm can I'm not all that impressed with the usefulness. They are heavy, long, foul the gun like crazy, and since I'm left handed, vent fumes in my face. It's like walking around right behind a horse.

Center fire pistol cans...mostly useless, but fun. I mostly got one because I want to SBR a 9mm carbine (Kriss, CZ Evo, or MPX).

.22 cans...awesome! Most are thin enough you can still use the sights.

SBRs....totally worth it. It seems trivial but going from a 16 inch to an 11.5 inch is like a whole new world. The handiness of the SBR makes me unwilling to hang a can off of it. Loud and proud baby!

SBSs...don't know, aren't legal here yet. I don't have a lot of interest in shotguns generally, but if I could get a Benelli M4 Entry model my interest would go up exponentially.

AOWs...fun but mostly useless.

Don Robison
09-08-15, 15:58

You are online on gun forums, you blew that under the radar things long ago.

TAZ
09-08-15, 22:45

This X100000. I have enjoyed shooting various NFA items and have tinkered with the idea of jumping on the band wagon, but in the end, I am not in a financial situation where the juice is worth the squeeze. At this stage of my financial life $1K dropped on a can = $1k of more debt or $1K less paid towards clearing my debt. Not a good choice for me.

brickboy240
09-09-15, 14:36
I think there is a huge difference between posting on a gun forum and owning NFA items.

Also, remember a few years ago, after a mass shooting, where a NY based newspaper published the addresses of all in their area that had a concealed carry permit?

How easy would it be for some "journalist" to get a hold of the list of folks with NFA items and post THAT on some public forum or newspaper?

It is just one more list you could wind up on that could be used against you...sorry...I will pass.

SteyrAUG
09-09-15, 14:51
I think there is a huge difference between posting on a gun forum and owning NFA items.

Also, remember a few years ago, after a mass shooting, where a NY based newspaper published the addresses of all in their area that had a concealed carry permit?

How easy would it be for some "journalist" to get a hold of the list of folks with NFA items and post THAT on some public forum or newspaper?

It is just one more list you could wind up on that could be used against you...sorry...I will pass.

The difference is NFA paperwork is "tax records" and becomes a whole other category. You'd have an easier time getting actually birth certificates and social security numbers.

titsonritz
09-09-15, 15:11

And then there is that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-09-15, 15:17
Jen Bush can't be bothered to get a standard gun, let alone a NFA item....

Big A
09-09-15, 15:49

You are online on gun forums, you blew that under the radar things long ago.

An F-22 can still be seen by the most advanced radar systems but it's signature doesn't scream fighter jet, An Airbus A-500 however screams Big Ass Airbus A-500.

This is also where I'm at. I'd like to jump in for a few SBR's and cans to go with them as well as an SBS for shits & giggles. And asking Uncle Sam for permission TO PAY A ****ING TAX to exercise an inalienable human right really sticks in my craw...:mad:

Firefly
09-09-15, 16:30
I will eventually. I've just been getting all the cash and carry stuff I want first.

Honestly, the only NFA sruff I want is an osprey for my HK just because of Walking Dead. SBR my LMT and put on an NT4.
And a straight up tie between a Vietnam era MAC-10 with suppressor or a Carl Gustav smg

foxtrotx1
09-09-15, 21:46
An F-22 can still be seen by the most advanced radar systems but it's signature doesn't scream fighter jet, An Airbus A-500 however screams Big Ass Airbus A-500.

This is also where I'm at. I'd like to jump in for a few SBR's and cans to go with them as well as an SBS for shits & giggles. And asking Uncle Sam for permission TO PAY A ****ING TAX to exercise an inalienable human right really sticks in my craw...:mad:

That logic is pretty funny. "the government dosn't want me to have something evil so they put a tax on it. I'll show them by not getting the item!"

Think about that... you're basically conforming to their expectation. They put the tax there to STOP you from wanting it and your doing exactly what they want. You stick it to the man by flooding the system with NFA items. Whats another 200 bucks to the gov? You already pay a special gun tax on every firearm you buy BTW.

Big A
09-10-15, 06:59
That logic is pretty funny. "the government dosn't want me to have something evil so they put a tax on it. I'll show them by not getting the item!"

Think about that... you're basically conforming to their expectation. They put the tax there to STOP you from wanting it and your doing exactly what they want. You stick it to the man by flooding the system with NFA items. Whats another 200 bucks to the gov? You already pay a special gun tax on every firearm you buy BTW.

^Perhaps you do but I typically don't anymore.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberty

liberty

noun lib·er·ty \ˈli-bər-tē\

: the state or condition of people who are able to act and speak freely

: the power to do or choose what you want to

: a political right

plural lib·er·ties

Full Definition of LIBERTY

1: the quality or state of being free:

a : the power to do as one pleases

b : freedom from physical restraint

c : freedom from arbitrary or despotic control

d : the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges

e : the power of choice

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freedom

freedom

noun free·dom \ˈfrē-dəm\

Definition of FREEDOM

1: the quality or state of being free: as

a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action

b : liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another : independence

c : the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous <freedom from care>

d : ease, facility <spoke the language with freedom>

e : the quality of being frank, open, or outspoken <answered with freedom>

f : improper familiarity

g : boldness of conception or execution

h : unrestricted use <gave him the freedom of their home>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infringed

infringe

verb in·fringe \in-ˈfrinj\

: to do something that does not obey or follow (a rule, law, etc.) ( chiefly US )

: to wrongly limit or restrict (something, such as another person's rights

in·fringedin·fring·ing

Full Definition of INFRINGE

transitive verb

1: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another

Abraham
09-10-15, 08:27
Will Brink's perspective is my own:

"I have an interest, but not an interest that exceeds my interest to avoid the BS and $$ to get them."

Arik
09-10-15, 08:49
I have one AKSU. That was enough to satisfy my curiosity. I wouldn't mind a suppressor but I'm not itching for one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Benito
09-10-15, 17:46
Anyone not interested in NFA items is a dirty Communist.
I take that back. Even a Communist would be interested.

rero360
09-10-15, 18:24
If I didn't live in Commiefornia I'd have cans for all my ARs, the 22 and probably one for the 9mm. I'd also have my AR pistol as an SBR too.

Bubba FAL
09-10-15, 21:52
I don't know, an integrally suppressed .45ACP Camp Carbine would be kind of handy for quietly dispatching varmints. My 16" barreled Thompson is already pretty quiet. Maybe someday if money is no object. One problem with the current NFA restrictions is that I live less than 10 miles from two other states, making it kind of a hassle especially considering the best local range happens to be in one of those other states.

wildcard600
09-10-15, 22:12
I don't know, an integrally suppressed .45ACP Camp Carbine would be kind of handy for quietly dispatching varmints. My 16" barreled Thompson is already pretty quiet. Maybe someday if money is no object. One problem with the current NFA restrictions is that I live less than 10 miles from two other states, making it kind of a hassle especially considering the best local range happens to be in one of those other states.

Similar issue here. i sometimes go to AR,KS or OK to visit friends and shoot and any additional hoops to jump through really turns me off.

WickedWillis
09-11-15, 12:42
I bought a Tavor simply to get around all of the NFA BS. I love the idea of a short barreled rifle to keep in a pickup, and have ready to go when I am traveling. I travel to other states several times a month between Washington, and Montana. If I had an SBR I would have to apply to those states before doing so. That is insane to me. One day I will purchases a suppressor, and I am pretty in love with the DD MK18, so I will never say never, but not currently, no.

jmp45
09-11-15, 13:46
I bought a Tavor simply to get around all of the NFA BS.

That's the way I'd like to go for the same reasons.

Ryno12
09-11-15, 15:21
I bought a Tavor simply to get around all of the NFA BS. I love the idea of a short barreled rifle to keep in a pickup, and have ready to go when I am traveling. I travel to other states several times a month between Washington, and Montana. If I had an SBR I would have to apply to those states before doing so. That is insane to me. One day I will purchases a suppressor, and I am pretty in love with the DD MK18, so I will never say never, but not currently, no.

You need to have both a Tavor & SBR. [emoji41]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/cb8240a331d41fb1991eda8e32dbe7b4.jpg

WickedWillis
09-11-15, 16:23
You need to have both a Tavor & SBR. [emoji41]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/cb8240a331d41fb1991eda8e32dbe7b4.jpg

Need is a word I very often confuse with "Want" :lol:

Spiffums
09-13-15, 19:30
I got a 14.5 BCM upper with the 1.5 Battle Comp. It's small enough for what I want it to do and still long enough that I don't have to give up much on extended range targets.

I have a friend who has a 2" binder full of trust paperwork and stamps. He's always on to me that I need a can or a SBR and I just don't feel the need to jump through hoops to get either.

JoshNC
09-13-15, 21:59
I've gotten the point where title-1 firearms hold very little interest for me. I was bitten by the fullauto bug at an early age and planned on buying transferable MGs as soon as I could. I shot my first fullauto when I was 8 years old (mid 80s); a fullsize UZI at Bonnett's Shooting Club in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. The owner was shooting next to me and my dad. He could see that I was enamored and after getting approval from my dad, allowed me to shoot it. I was fortunate to purchase a Colt M16 and Vector fullsize UZI in 2002 and never looked back. Now I am really only interested in MGs, SBRs, and suppressors. I own and will continue to buy title-1 firearms simply for their convenience, but my first love is title-2 firearms, especially MGs.

I can understand the desire to avoid the hurdles, paperwork, expense, additional headache of title-2 firearms. For a short time I talked myself out of them, then went to one of Ruben Mendiola's MG shoots in Miami while I was in college and was immediately hooked. At that time transferable Colt M16s were about $3k, mp5s were $4k, UZIs were $1800, and MACs were about $600. I still sat on the fence for another four years. I am glad I jumped into transferable MGs when I did.

JoshNC
09-13-15, 22:07

Camp carbines SUCK as suppressor hosts. A local SOT friend of mine had an integrally suppressed Camp 45 and it was very loud due to ejection port noise. The bolt is too light. An UZI, mp5, or AR15/9 is a better suppressor host.

Caeser25
09-14-15, 10:35
Not really. If I could walk into a store and buy a suppressor, I'd own a couple. SBR, meh.let's face it the law is outdated. Criminals don't care about laws. Repeal NFA.

caporider
09-14-15, 14:54
I have a bunch of SBR AR15 lowers and love the flexibility they give me to build whatever I want. I did not find the paperwork all that onerous; I'd just send everything in to NFA Branch and forget about it until I got the stamp back. Some took a couple of months, some took half a year. But now I can mount up an 11.5" barreled upper and go shoot that, then mount up a 16" upper and take the rifle pretty much anywhere ARs are legal. Love that.

I'm not as much in love with suppressors, especially on ARs. The gas blowback is a pain the ass and cleaning up the crud inside the rifle is always a treat. I double up on hearing protection every time I shoot anyway, so my can really doesn't provide ME with any functional benefits. My son loves it, though, because it zeros out recoil, so I take it to the range when he comes shooting with me. I don't plan on buying any more cans.

Ron3
09-14-15, 16:45
I'm still trying to convince myself that I need/would love to have a silenced .22, .25, .32, or .380 pistol and/or a silenced .22 or .38/.357 bolt/lever action SBR...

Here is one I found...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2bHKh2eDis

Looks like fun, standard 158 gr .38's should stay subsonic.

Gunfixr
09-14-15, 18:17
I avoided it also for some time. A couple friends have stuff I got to play with every so often. Plus, where I live nobody signs off for anything for anybody, and a lawyer I knew advised against a trust.

But then, every so often at work, I make something really cool for somebody, and then have to give it away.

I got the trust.
I always wanted full auto, but having played with them, not so much. I can't afford to feed it, plus pay for a decent one now. I want something I can use.
I like some of the sbr/sbs choices.
Aows, not a lot of interest. The Serbu isn't very enjoyable to shoot, actually.
I have gotten addicted to suppressors. As a friend told me, "if you have the suppressor, why shoot without it?" So, I shoot suppressed if I'm shooting something I have one for, and working to suppress more of my guns. So far, I've also built myself the suppressors, which to me is even better.

I do want a dd, a grenade launcher. I just cannot justify buying something I cannot shoot, which, so far, keeps me from getting one.

I would like some different things. Thinking of a welrod build. Have a shot out Enfield, could do a DE lisle.
I like different.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk