PDA

View Full Version : LWRCI IAR 5.56mm NATO

OldNavyGuy
07-27-08, 09:21
anyone here seen one or handled one ?? in the latest issue of "Tactical Weapons" there is an article on them, sounds like this just has the "Right Stuff" to be the next new rifle for the Marines.

what i like is the "ribbed" barrel e.g., the "Tommy Gun" and the adjustable gas block, "open bolt" and the gun in general. i want one in the "civilian" version. :D

Stephen_H
07-27-08, 15:51
There's a good IAR thread running on the LWRC forum.

I'm glad you enjoyed the article;)

Stephen

SethB
07-27-08, 16:38
Interesting stuff, but absolutely pointless if you don't have an NFA host for it.

Magsz
07-27-08, 16:49
Well, what about stupid amounts of semi auto fire? Im sure the finned barrel might at least be somewhat useful for that?

Other than that, i agree, that bad boy would definitely have to be auto in order to really take advantage of the system, afterall, thats what the system was designed for.

Ive really got to hand it to LWRC, they really are coming up with some stupidly cool stuff.

Stephen_H
07-27-08, 17:00
LWRCI are going to offer a semi-auto only variant with a medium contour hammer forged barrel (no radial cooling fins) called the M6A3. It should be available this fall.

Stephen

SethB
07-28-08, 00:55
Yeah, the barrel will be pretty cool, but I think that will be the only real difference. Unless there is something that I'm missing.

OldNavyGuy
07-28-08, 09:22
There's a good IAR thread running on the LWRC forum.

http://www.lwrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1138

I'm glad you enjoyed the article;)

Stephen

i enjoyed it so much i have re-read it about 7 times so far !

markm
07-28-08, 10:23
I saw this thing on Future Weapons this weekend. The show made it sound like not being "belt" fed was a plus.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. :confused:

Failure2Stop
07-28-08, 10:43
I saw this thing on Future Weapons this weekend. The show made it sound like not being "belt" fed was a plus.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. :confused:

It's all about application.
It's not supposed to provide the suppressive fire duration of the M249.
True ammo/magazine interchangability of the fire-team is a really nice thing to have for many reasons, from tactical to logistical.
Belted ammo is a PITA for reasons from noise to snag.

Stephen_H
07-28-08, 10:57
It's all about application.
It's not supposed to provide the suppressive fire duration of the M249.
True ammo/magazine interchangability of the fire-team is a really nice thing to have for many reasons, from tactical to logistical.
Belted ammo is a PITA for reasons from noise to snag.

Don't forget maintenance; belted ammo has to be routinely inspected to be sure that there are no kinks and that dirt, sand, and/or moisture have not corroded or fouled the links. Obviously, this would not be the case for a quick op-tempo, but not everybody gets to shoot booger-eaters every day. As Failure2Stop mentioned, this weapon is meant to fill a specific tactical role at the fire team level. It is entirely possible that if the IAR is adopted that the SAW will still be employed at the squad or platoon level as a "support by fire" weapon.

Stephen

markm
07-28-08, 11:37
Yep. I saw video of Marines in Iraq dust brushing out linked ammo.

RadioActivity
07-29-08, 14:44
Linked ammo is, in my humble opinion, a major liability. Every link in and of itself is a possible point of failure, and open bolt weapons like the M249 in my experience are too susceptible to the elements and contamination.

I've dragged a rifle through hell and knew it would work simply because the mag well had a mag in it, the barrel had a shoot-through muzzle cap, and the dust cover was closed. A M249 is as porous as a screen door.