PDA

View Full Version : KMR Alloy Shortage = Something New from BCM

jdavis6576
09-09-15, 13:22
For the last 6-7 weeks I've been watching the BCM site for a complete upper (the BCM-URG-MID-16-BFH-ELW-KMR13) to come back in stock. I thought maybe the barrel was the reason for the delay but after seeing it was in stock I emailed BCM to see if they could provide an estimate on when the URG might be in stock. Below is the reply I received today:

"We are grateful for the overwhelming demand for the BCM® KMR and regret that we have not been able to keep up with this demand. The unique and proprietary alloy, with which we own 100% of domestic distribution, is in very short supply and has been the sole reason for sporadic inventory. Recent advancements from the BCM® Product Development Team have enabled the imminent release of several new BCMGUNFIGHTER™ offerings, including additional alloy options for the highly coveted BCM® KMR. This will enable us to raise KMR inventory levels quite a bit over the next 4 months. We are anticipating this inventory situation will be resolved by the end of this year.

It is our intent to close out 2015 with several exciting new products we are confident will exude the same quality BCM® customers have come to rely on, offered at more competitive prices. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty through often chaotic times. Please stay tuned to our Newsletter and social media pages for upcoming product announcements."

info@bravocompanyusa.com
Bravo Company USA
www.BravoCompanyUSA.com
www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

While I'd like the upper sooner rather than later the prospects of KMRs made with "additional alloy options" is intriguing. Hopefully there isn't much variance from the current weight.

Now, let the conspiracy theories and rampant speculation begin.

wigbones
09-09-15, 13:37
It'll be interesting to see if the price point remains the same.

Slippers
09-09-15, 13:39
Hopefully they do a 7075 aluminum version.

Wake27
09-09-15, 13:41
Hmmm. Hopefully a Mod 1 stock is one of their products. I'm gonna start a rumor that they worked a deal with Hodge and are using the materials they've incorporated in his Mod 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasman
09-09-15, 17:51
the prospects of KMRs made with "additional alloy options" is intriguing. Hopefully there isn't much variance from the current weight.

Now, let the conspiracy theories and rampant speculation begin.

No speculation needed. The product pages have been up for at least a week now.

The new KMR variants are called "KMR Alpha." The Alpha handguards are all aluminum (no Mg alloy) and weigh slightly more.

Here's the product pages (not searchable on BCM's site):
-KMR Alpha 15 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-15-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a15-556-blk.htm) (says it's in stock right now too!), 15" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 8.1oz rail
-KMR Alpha 13 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-13-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a13-556-blk.htm), 13.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 7.7oz rail
-KMR Alpha 10 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR10-ALPHA-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a10-556-blk.htm), 10.5" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6.3oz rail
-KMR Alpha 9 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR9-ALPHA-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a9-556-blk.htm), 9.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6oz rail
-KMR Alpha 7 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-7-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a7-556-blk.htm), 7.39" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 5.2oz rail

The increase in weight over the Mg/Al KMR rails is 2.2oz (across all models). Given the small increase in weight and looking at the Mega/Hodge 7075 rail, I don't expect that these are also 7075.

Defaultmp3
09-09-15, 18:01
Given the small increase in weight and looking at the Mega/Hodge 7075 rail, I don't expect that these are also 7075.
The difference in density between 6061 and 7075 are pretty minimal; 0.072 oz. per cubic inch. So, it's possible in terms of raw weight, though looking at the cost, I think it's relatively safe to guess that it's a 6061 rail.

I do hope that they keep making the old Mg/Al rails, and yes, it would be neat for a 7075 version or even the new Li/Al stuff that Hodge is suppose to be using.

Nightstalker865
09-09-15, 18:05
This is good to hear. I'm glad to see them releasing an all Alu version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_1
09-09-15, 20:06
Nice. A bit cheaper and a little heavier than the magnesium KMR. So when can I order this new KMR Alpha rail?

Korgs130
09-09-15, 21:18
JD and Plasman,

Thanks for sharing. I've be curious as to what was going on with the KMR inventor. I just got my first SBR stamp and have been waiting for one the 11.5" ELW KMR uppers. This explains a lot.

Uprange41
09-09-15, 21:50
Wow, $170 for the 7"?

This might actually be perfect for my M&P Sport. I love the KMR on my BCM, but I wasn't interested in putting $250 on top of a Sport... $170 is easier to swallow.

BeltFed_1
09-09-15, 23:50
I had several builds planned with the original KMR, this throws my plans off a bit. I am still trying to source a 9" KMR for a 10.5" build. Looks like it will be even harder now. Yikes!

BeltFed_1
09-10-15, 09:34
Just got this reply from BCM:

"We have every intention of continuing production of the current KMR. The new KMR Alpha will be an offering that will allow higher inventory levels and is only a VERY slight increase in weight. The current Magnesium/Aluminum alloy will continue to be available for the foreseeable future."

bowman57_2
09-10-15, 14:18
This is what ive been waiting for but didnt think would ever happen. Ive never handled the original kmr but never thought the mag alloy blend was a great idea so this solves the only problem i had with it and its still extemely lightweight. Im definatley gonna snag one of these when theyre available

Uprange41
09-10-15, 15:54
This is what ive been waiting for but didnt think would ever happen. Ive never handled the original kmr but never thought the mag alloy blend was a great idea so this solves the only problem i had with it and its still extemely lightweight. Im definatley gonna snag one of these when theyre available

What problems do you think the magnesium causes?

Benito
09-10-15, 17:16
Damn! I didn't know about this. These are still pretty lightweight, and very reasonably priced. I think I know what handguard my next AR will be sporting.

bowman57_2
09-10-15, 17:37

Its not that i thought the magnesium caused any problems, i just never felt that it was as strong as a regular 6061 aluminum rail.

Mr blasty
09-10-15, 19:56
Its not that i thought the magnesium caused any problems, i just never felt that it was as strong as a regular 6061 aluminum rail.

Sorry but basic imperial data and metallurgy makes it definitive that the alloy is stronger. This is actually something that's been known in engineering for a long time and has been used by multiple industries for many years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

bowman57_2
09-10-15, 20:14
Sorry but basic imperial data and metallurgy makes it definitive that the alloy is stronger. This is actually something that's been known in engineering for a long time and has been used by multiple industries for many years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Ive been told that mag-alloy was stronger than regular aluminum but i just never had the peace of mind when considering a kmr before now

edmorseiii
09-10-15, 21:00

Short inventory?

modelbuilder56
09-10-15, 22:18
I found this a pretty interesting read concerning the composition of the KMR rail, I have the 13 inch version.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwjD3ZH0ge7HAhUCdj4KHbDTBvY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esabna.com%2Fus%2Fen%2Feducation%2Fblog%2Fhow-and-why-alloying-elements-are-added-to-aluminum.cfm&usg=AFQjCNFgJ8t6Btnect6hMLo-sQK48bCPlw&sig2=93sGZMr3dPzMWUrcQVzeoQ

kaloman
09-11-15, 03:51
With the all aluminum rail, does this mean the finish will be much more resiliant and less likely to remove?

jerrysimons
09-11-15, 08:44
This is good news, the BCM KMR/Alpha design is certainly the best designed barrel nut handguard lockup out there, IMO. It is nice to have this aluminum option, I am guessing it is 6061 or else 7075 would likely be advertised since so few rails are made of it.

jerrysimons
09-11-15, 08:45
With the all aluminum rail, does this mean the finish will be much more resiliant and less likely to remove?

The hardcoat anodizing like every other aluminum rails would suggest so.

jdavis6576
09-19-15, 07:52
No speculation needed. The product pages have been up for at least a week now.

The new KMR variants are called "KMR Alpha." The Alpha handguards are all aluminum (no Mg alloy) and weigh slightly more.

Here's the product pages (not searchable on BCM's site):
-KMR Alpha 15 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-15-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a15-556-blk.htm) (says it's in stock right now too!), 15" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 8.1oz rail
-KMR Alpha 13 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-13-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a13-556-blk.htm), 13.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 7.7oz rail
-KMR Alpha 10 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR10-ALPHA-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a10-556-blk.htm), 10.5" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6.3oz rail
-KMR Alpha 9 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR9-ALPHA-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a9-556-blk.htm), 9.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6oz rail
-KMR Alpha 7 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR-ALPHA-7-KeyMod-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr-a7-556-blk.htm), 7.39" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 5.2oz rail

The increase in weight over the Mg/Al KMR rails is 2.2oz (across all models). Given the small increase in weight and looking at the Mega/Hodge 7075 rail, I don't expect that these are also 7075.

The links for the KMR Alphas no longer work. Not sure what, if anything, that means.

wetidlerjr
09-19-15, 10:38
The links for the KMR Alphas no longer work. Not sure what, if anything, that means.

They work and this is what you see.
The product you are trying to view no longer exists.
:blink:

bowman57_2
09-19-15, 14:53
They work and this is what you see.
:blink:

Damn that sucks i was looking forward to getting one of these

Stickman
09-19-15, 23:57
Damn that sucks i was looking forward to getting one of these

Sounds like they just haven't put it up for sale yet.

wetidlerjr
09-24-15, 12:46
Sounds like they just haven't put it up for sale yet.
That is the answer I received on their Facebook page.

jdavis6576
09-25-15, 04:35
Links are live again but rails are out of stock. May be getting closer to release.

Junkie
09-25-15, 09:57
I wonder whether the Alpha is 6061, 7075, or something else. Based on the price I suspect 6061 but who knows. For a 2.2oz and $70ish difference that's fairly cheap when it comes to parts that won't impact reliability or accuracy. Out front is also the best place to save weight IMO, don't think I've ever felt a backheavy AR.

556BlackRifle
09-25-15, 11:05
Got tired of waiting so I picked up another NSR-15 at the Rainier Arms sale for $247. (Not Chainsaw regular price $275.) I really wanted the original KMR 15. Maybe next time, if they're in stock.......

ScottsBad
10-07-15, 17:34
I was wondering if BCM would come out with the KMR in standard 6061 and *POOF* it happened. I have 2 mag alloy KMRs, and I'll probably swap out some of my old rails for the Alpha KMRs at some point.

I think it is a good marketing move by BCM as well. They will probably sell a lot of the 6061 rails because of their lower cost.

R0CKETMAN
10-07-15, 18:18
Got tired of waiting so I picked up another NSR-15 at the Rainier Arms sale for $247. (Not Chainsaw regular price $275.) I really wanted the original KMR 15. Maybe next time, if they're in stock.......

They were in today at AIM