PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Regina!

Business_Casual
09-09-15, 18:07
Though we threw off the yoke of the British crown, we can all wish the Queen well on bring the longest reigning monarch today.

foxtrotx1
09-09-15, 18:30
Must be bittersweet for her, considering her father died so young allowing here to be the longest reining English monarch.

Big A
09-09-15, 19:03
I say old boy, she was quite fetching in her day:
http://talismancoins.com/content/catalog/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Photographic_Portrait_by_Dorothy_Wilding.jpg

Other than that I really don't understand why Americans are so obsessed with the royal family...

foxtrotx1
09-09-15, 19:06

Other than that I really don't understand why Americans are so obsessed with the royal family...

Celeb culture. Doesn't matter if it is here or there, people want to gawk. It's no worse than Hollywood in my opinion.

Firefly
09-09-15, 19:25
IIRC she helped service trucks during the war.
Meanwhile our current FLOTUS "dougied"

She kinda left Rhodesia hanging but then again was a punk icon in the 80s. Quite a,life the old girl had.

MountainRaven
09-09-15, 20:17
http://talismancoins.com/content/catalog/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Photographic_Portrait_by_Dorothy_Wilding.jpg

The BBC is British and probably the largest non-American English-language news agency on the planet. In the UK, royalty is celebrity. And given that the Queen is also monarch of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand - and we four nations plus maybe Ireland are some of the closest natural allies on earth - it makes sense.

If most Americans spoke or read Japanese, we'd probably see more from NHK and be reading about the Emperor of Japan. Ditto Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Spanish, &c.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-09-15, 20:23
Everyday she is above ground, is one less day with King Chuck- the wanna-b tampon and global goofball.

Big A
09-09-15, 20:45
The BBC is British and probably the largest non-American English-language news agency on the planet. In the UK, royalty is celebrity. And given that the Queen is also monarch of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand - and we four nations plus maybe Ireland are some of the closest natural allies on earth - it makes sense.

If most Americans spoke or read Japanese, we'd probably see more from NHK and be reading about the Emperor of Japan. Ditto Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Spanish, &c.

Yes I get how the fives eyes are geopolitically intertwined . I'm referring to how people geeked out over the royal wedding and the the royal baby. Individual people I actually know were all excited about that crap and I couldn't care less.

Until they start paying my bills or the Duchess of Cambridge gives me an Astin Martin and invites me into her bed chamber I'm not gonna get worked up over the idle rich like so many of my fellow Americans seem to.

Same goes for american celebrities. I guess I just don't get it.

BoringGuy45
09-09-15, 21:15

Since the generation who hated and wanted nothing to do with any monarchy is 200 years since died off, this generation finds the idea of royalty interesting for its old fashion, shall we say "romantic" appeal. Little American girls want to be princesses; they don't want to be president's daughters.

Plus, because they don't really do anything political and are just figureheads, there's really nothing to hate about them. Save for a few issues, they're some of the few celebrities who generally seem like decent people.

SteyrAUG
09-09-15, 21:34
Didn't think much of the other Queen, Victoria.

Sent one of her kids to Germany to secure land holdings, then disowned him for being German when the two countries went to war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Edward,_Duke_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

Royal families can do some messed up stuff that most of us wouldn't do to our most troublesome family members.