PDA

View Full Version : P229-1 Magazines: Visual differences between Mec-Gar and Checkmate?

MountainRaven
09-11-15, 00:16
Picked up a P229-1 in 9mm and a spare OEM magazine.

The magazine I picked up is roll-marked, "Made in Italy," (interestingly the bag it came in said, "Made in USA,") and is obviously a Mec-Gar. The two magazines the pistol came with are not rollmarked, "Made in Italy," but otherwise appear to be almost identical. Is the probability of these unmarked magazines being CMI quite high?

Thanks!

RHINOWSO
09-11-15, 07:38
Every Mecgar as SIG OEM magazine I've ever handled or seen has had "Made in Italy", so yes I believe those would be CMI - however I was under the impression that they were marked "Made in the USA", however maybe CMI dropped this to stem customers from complaining about the magazines before using them??? IDK.

In general the uproar over CMI SIG mags seems to have died down from my observation, P226 mags seemed to have been the worst offenders but maybe they have tightened up their design / QC?

ETA - looking around at some other forums, the consensus is mags without country of origin are CMI.

MountainRaven
09-11-15, 11:01
That's what I was afraid of.

Oh well, I'll just run the snot out of the CMIs and if they give me trouble at the range, I'll just bin them.

Thanks!

CatSnipah
09-11-15, 13:23
Knock on wood...so far ive had no issues with my 226 CMI mags.

Bantee
09-14-15, 22:07
My 5 mags have been flawless through 2500 rnds, in my MK-25 thus far....hoping it continues.

MountainRaven
09-15-15, 19:41
Ran them through a basic pistol course this weekend. Only problem was that the empty magazines - when dumped on the deck - would occasionally pop the base plates off about a quarter or a third of the way. Didn't have that problem with the Mec-Gar one - presumably because the polymer locking plate has a cylinder that engages the floor plate rather than a bent piece of steel.