PDA

View Full Version : 16" with A2, vs 10.5" with KX3?

Dionysusigma
09-12-15, 12:50
Looking to possibly SBR my Noveske lower, which presently has an LMT 16" upper with A2 FH. I'd most likely go with the Noveske Shorty Basic 10.5 upper, which comes standard with the KX3 installed.

What I'm wondering, in short, is: Is it worth doing? How do they compare?

What's the difference in overall length between the 16"+A2 vs the 10.5"+KX3?
Weight difference?
Recoil characteristics?
Difference in decibel output/blast/flash?
Muzzle velocity?

If, in the end, they're too similar, I'd probably forego the whole excess paperwork and rigmarole, $200 tax stamp, $900 upper group, and year-long wait, and just keep rockin' what I got...

MegademiC
09-12-15, 14:38
As someone with very little sbr experience, I would look at a supressor mount or flash hider and a blast shield for when needed. The kx3 is pretty heavy iirc.

I think there is a newer, lighter version out also you may want to consider.

Found it: kx5, 4.5 Oz instead of 7oz kx3.

The handling of a sbr (11.5" is what I've used, but only briefly) is much different than a 16".

Clint
09-12-15, 14:50
I'd recommend an 11.5" light weight upper with your choice of muzzle device.

Hanging a 7 oz weight on the end of your "light and handy" SBR barrel kinda defeats the purpose.

GH41
09-12-15, 15:44
I'd recommend an 11.5" light weight upper with your choice of muzzle device.

Hanging a 7 oz weight on the end of your "light and handy" SBR barrel kinda defeats the purpose.

Not only is the Pig heavier than 3 1/2" of barrel it's 3 1/2" of length. Is the 1 1/2-2" worth the NFA hassle... Not to me.

Dionysusigma
09-13-15, 13:20
Kinda what I figured. Looking at the LOP I have my stock at, then the length of the receiver group, then adding in the gas system... it doesn't seem worth it.

And if I was adding a can, it would just 1) involve another $1100 in stamps and cost, 2) bring the OAL back to what it was, 3) possibly increase the weight, 4) foul the action even more, while 5) still being just over the pain threshold decibel-wise.

Think I'll just build another 20" A2.

Slippers
09-13-15, 13:40
Kinda what I figured. Looking at the LOP I have my stock at, then the length of the receiver group, then adding in the gas system... it doesn't seem worth it.

And if I was adding a can, it would just 1) involve another $1100 in stamps and cost, 2) bring the OAL back to what it was, 3) possibly increase the weight, 4) foul the action even more, while 5) still being just over the pain threshold decibel-wise.

Think I'll just build another 20" A2.

As long as you use a flash hider an SBR isn't that much louder or more concussive. Using a brake and then adding a blast shield doesn't make any sense to me if the original intent was to make a lighter, shorter rifle.

As far as suppressors go, yes, you're right about many of the drawbacks. However, they're so much more comfortable to be around. There's no concussion for you or people nearby. I wear a set of Surefire EP3s with the plugs opened, and bystanders that are 10 yards behind you can go without ear protection at all.