PDA

View Full Version : Factory Fixed Sight Zero

Giggles
09-12-15, 20:35
Do manufactures zero their fixed iron sights from the factory? If so what companies do what and at what distance?

okie john
09-13-15, 10:06
Do manufactures zero their fixed iron sights from the factory? If so what companies do what and at what distance?

Different lodas have different points of impact. You'll have to fiddle a bit to get everything lined up.

Okie John

Giggles
09-16-15, 22:43
I just assumed that from the factory handguns with fixed sights; were "calibrated" to be pretty much on target at a said distance with common loads.

MountainRaven
09-16-15, 23:17
According to a SiG armorer's manual, the pistols are supposed to be zeroed at 25 yards.

Wilson Combat zeroes their pistols at 25 yards (presumably you could ask them to do something different for your pistol, since they are a custom shop).

Beretta/Beretta USA zeroes at 15 yards.

So I would say that it depends on the manufacturer. But given modern manufacturing techniques, most pistols will be pretty close to zeroed with a properly selected front and rear sight, set in the middle of the slide, without any need to actually put the pistol on paper.

okie john
09-17-15, 08:30
According to a SiG armorer's manual, the pistols are supposed to be zeroed at 25 yards.

Wilson Combat zeroes their pistols at 25 yards (presumably you could ask them to do something different for your pistol, since they are a custom shop).

Beretta/Beretta USA zeroes at 15 yards.

So I would say that it depends on the manufacturer. But given modern manufacturing techniques, most pistols will be pretty close to zeroed with a properly selected front and rear sight, set in the middle of the slide, without any need to actually put the pistol on paper.

The issue isn't the pistol. It's the ammo.

Back when all ammo makers built essentially identical handgun loads (158 grains at 850 fps in the 38 Special, 230 grains at 850 in the 45 ACP, etc.), it was possible to zero them at the factory. But the variety of loads available today makes that impossible. For instance, a 115-grain 9mm bullet in a training load at 1,100 fps doesn't hit anywhere near the same place as a +P 115-grain duty load at 1,350, or a 147-grain duty load at 1,000 fps. The difference is not just in elevation--a lot of 147-grain loads show windage shifts as well. You may not notice the difference if you're happy hitting the 8" down-zero ball of an IDPA target at 7m, but if you start making more critical shots or push the distance very far beyond that, then you certainly will.

When Wilson test fires and zeros a pistol, they do it for one load and one distance. Beretta and SIG probably standardize on NATO ball given their history with the military contracts. I've seen too many Glocks hit all over the map to believe that they do anything more than ensure that the sights are on the slide before they ship the pistol.

Think of it another way: nobody here would assume that a carbine is properly zeroed from the factory, so why would a pistol be zeroed from the factory?

Okie John

Giggles
09-17-15, 22:42
So I understand now. What you guys are relating has me seeing even more so that handguns are not precision guns, and that they really truly seem most suited for close range stuff. Although that's not the rule.

Mr_Happy1
09-18-15, 00:41
I agree with Okie. The number of people that don't understand the need to zero a pistol astounds me.

samuse
09-18-15, 08:16
I've never had a pistol with stock sights shoot so far off that the sights needed changing.

okie john
09-18-15, 08:18
So I understand now. What you guys are relating has me seeing even more so that handguns are not precision guns, and that they really truly seem most suited for close range stuff. Although that's not the rule.

Yes and no.

Handguns should be used at close range because they're not very powerful, and distance doesn't help.

There are shooters on this site who can put five rounds of good ammunition into 1.5" (about the size of an eye socket) at 25 yards with a service-caliber handgun. So it's possible to use them with remarkable precision within their limitations, but very few people have that level of skill. Most pistol shooters would rather do mag dumps at hand-shaking distance in the name of "combat accuracy".

Okie John

Watrdawg
09-18-15, 09:48
Not saying that it doesn't need to be done but luckily I have not had to rezero a handgun yet. I've been lucky I guess. Neither my G17, 19 or M&P 45 have had to be re zero'd. I shoot a mix of ammo from all of them. Mostly 115 and 124gr standard and +P from my 9's and 230gr standard and +p from my 45.