PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of the VX-R Patrol

kaltblitz
09-12-15, 23:01
I've spent the past week reading through the entire 1-4 optics thread as well as few others on this forum and some others. What I've deduced is that optics are more personal then holsters. Everyone has a slightly different eye and sees/prefers different things.

I'm LE (was patrol, now investigations and SWAT) and have been a fan of the EOTech for the past while and currently use an EXPS 3-0 (I was issued an Aimpoint M2, then a M3 and had a personal T-1 in the past...I like the EOTech reticle better).

Recently though, my astigmatism is getting worse, and the EOTech and Aimpoints are turning into flared out blobs and hourglasses. I looked at a buddy's Trijicon RMR the other day and it looked like some kind of weird giant trapezoid. Without getting corrective lenses I think my RDO days are limited.

The 1.5x ACOGs look crystal clear still (my vision is still 20/30...its the astigmatism screwing with me), but I'm weary due to washout issues with a white light. This has lead me right to 1-4x optics with illuminated reticles...and specifically the Leupold VX-R since it's in my budget and like I said, I don't find the 1.5 ACOG's to slow me down, so logic says why would the VX-R?

So please, talk me out of it and give me reasons not to buy one. Because everything is pointing me to it so far.

Gunfixr
09-12-15, 23:12
I'd like to help you, but alas I really like mine. I also have astigmatism, and cannot use eotech, aimpoint, or the battery rmr. So, of course anything cheaper doesn't work.
Also for me acogs are clear, as is the tripower.
I just ordered a meprolight m21, we shall see.

The patrol dot isn't bad, if I keep it on the dim side. Not great, but not terrible. About half the time I don't even turn it on, doesn't seem to be much slower without the dot, at least in daylight. Indoors, or low light might change that.
I've shot to 500yds with it. The dot is too big for that distance. I could hit a full-size target, but not be very sure of where. It's pretty good out to about 300yds for me.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

HKGuns
09-13-15, 00:32
I own three, I certainly won't talk you out of one. I own a few EOtech's as well. Hard to make precision shots at distance for me with an EOtech.

EO would be better than VXR for entries. Because of the more forgiving eye box.

cop1211
09-13-15, 00:54
Ive had the vxr patrol and its a nice scope for the price, Id definitely take it over the ACOG because Ive found that the ACOG reticle will washout with a white light indoors, where the patrol will not. Take a look at the Steiner 1-4 from europtic, $699, Ive got one, its super nice, great glass, and big eyebox, daytime bright dot. Also look at the Meopta ZD 1-4, contact Meopta for a nice L.E.O. price.

Caeser25
09-13-15, 06:42
Have you looked at the Leupold Prismatic or CQT? Just other options.

GH41
09-13-15, 07:09
The one thing that would make the VXR Patrol better is capped turrets. The simple retilcle and light weight are what sold me on the scope. The Steiner and Meopta mentioned above are twice the weight of the Leupold.

Jaysop
09-13-15, 08:54
The one thing that would make the VXR Patrol better is capped turrets. The simple retilcle and light weight are what sold me on the scope. The Steiner and Meopta mentioned above are twice the weight of the Leupold.

Agreed. Capped turrets would have made the scope perfect. I don't need open ones on a 1-4. Although the most it's ever moved was a few clicks so no big deal.

It's daylight bright and a perfect dot. Also love that it's only on when you move it. I've had mine for a little over a year and a half and still on the first battery.

Gunfixr
09-13-15, 10:13
Yes, I liked the standby mode also.
The only time I have moved turrets was out past 200, or suppressed. The rifle has a lightweight profile barrel, so poi shift is a bit much.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk