PDA

View Full Version : Dragunov vs. PTR

jc75754
07-27-08, 22:18
I have almost all the guns that I desire for the moment but most of them are mainly for close encounters. I have one long range rifle but it is a bolt action R700 and I would like something with a little more magazine capacity and quicker follow up shots. I believe the Dragunov will be very reliable if it is anything like the Romanian AK i own. But the PTR 91 is also a very nice rifle, but I am not very familiar with this rifle. I know the Dragunov ammo 7.62X54 will be cheaper than the .308 for the PTR 91. Both are about the same in price $800-1,000 which is about the highest I am willing to go sorry I would like to get an M-14 but they are way too pricey. So anyone with experience with either of these rifles please detail the advantages or disadvantages.

Thanks

casio02478
07-28-08, 11:56
I can't comment on the systems but I can comment on the their chambering. With the 308 PTR you will have access to far better and more varieties of match grade ammo. While the 7.62x54R for the romak (a real dragunov will be over 3ks) is cheaper but you will have a problem finding true match grade factory loading. If you reload the PTR with it's fluted chamber is also very hard on the brass and shorten their lives siginificantly.

Turnkey11
07-28-08, 12:24
Dont get the dragunov confused with the Romanian PSL, completely different animal (and price range, SVD rifles are going around $3k these days.) Between a PSL and a TPR-91, Id take the PTR-91. A PSL is basically a semi auto RPK chambered in 7.62x54r with a thumbhole stock, if you wanted something like that you would be better off tricking out a Saiga .308.

ralph
08-01-08, 23:52
I have a PTR, and reload for it.....You can reload the cases, if you can find them all...Anyway, if you get the PTR, and reload, you'll need a port buffer, you can get a port buffer from www.robertrtg.com for $50 which is about $100 cheaper than the real HK buffer, these are POF buffers, made on HK tooling and they work. I bought one recently, brass is not dinged up, and rifle throws the emptys about 7-8' opposed to 15-20' before...much easier to find.. They just snap on the rifle, worth every dime..

Tomac
08-03-08, 20:13
NDM-86 Dragunov in .308. Only about 1,000 of them made it into the country in the late 80's before importation was stopped. They're incredibly accurate w/168gr match ammo, my personal best 3-shot ctc at 100yds is .24", my best ctc 4-shot at 100yds is .44" and my best 3-shot at 500m is 4.5". Targeting a std silhouette at 1,000yds and firing (relatively) rapid fire of no more than 4 sec between shots I achieved 50% hits. The downsides to the NDM-86 are the price (new, if you can find one, will run you upwards of $3,500) and total lack of spare parts.
Tomac