PDA

View Full Version : Spymaster -Oleg Kalugin

HKGuns
09-16-15, 22:16
I just picked this book up and it is probably something that would fascinate most on this site.

Oleg is a KGB General who sought Asylum when Putin took power in Russia. He handled the Walkers directly in the 80's.

He worked extensively in the US during his KGB career and recounts the Soviet view of many of the worlds major events during that time.

He talks extensively about liberals who were all too willing to help the KGB in various ways and recounts the various disinformation campaigns used by the KGB to discredit the US and enhance Soviet pride.

His unique perspective and experience make for an eye opening, interesting read.

Most here would enjoy this book immensely.

Moose-Knuckle
09-16-15, 23:27
Appreciate the heads up, sounds right up my alley.

I enjoy reading articles/books from former KGB officers and there are even some former Spetnaz guys writing now who live in the US. Always good to see things from other perspectives.

Renegade
09-17-15, 00:10
Oleg is a KGB General who sought Asylum when Putin took power in Russia. He handled the Walkers directly in the 80's.

He defected in 95, same year book you are reading was published.

Moose-Knuckle
09-17-15, 00:40
Surprised Putin didn't give him the old radiation treatment.

SteyrAUG
09-17-15, 01:15
I'd read it, but it would probably make me more frustrated than I already am knowing what I know.

SteyrAUG
09-17-15, 01:19

Sorry...seems I've poked you with my umbrella.

HKGuns
09-17-15, 07:55
He defected in 95, same year book you are reading was published.

I didn't realize it was that old. I have it on my iPad so it isn't obvious when it was written or published.

Still a good read.

soulezoo
09-17-15, 09:35
Sorry...seems I've poked you with my umbrella.

Scene right out of Quincy M.E.

26 Inf
09-17-15, 09:57
I'll read it as soon as I'm done with this one - The Ingenious Mr. Pyke: Inventor, Fugitive, Spy by Henry Hemming.

Just happened across it while browsing the new arrival shelf at the library - so far it is interesting, haven't quite made my mind up yet as to whether he was working for the other side, but only a third of the way through.

Business_Casual
09-17-15, 16:26

How do you give a made-up CIA propaganda psyop the radiation treatment, one wonders.

Big A
09-17-15, 20:17
Scene right out of Quincy M.E.
Or real life...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-15, 00:28
Or real life...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

Yeap, that's the one Styer and I were eluding too.

ChaseN
09-18-15, 04:29
How do you give a made-up CIA propaganda psyop the radiation treatment, one wonders.

Are you saying he doesn't exist, or he didn't do/know what he claimed to?

Business_Casual
09-18-15, 05:51
Are you saying he doesn't exist, or he didn't do/know what he claimed to?

If you had a real, live, Soviet spy insider with that level of information, would you let the Soviets know anything about what you knew? Remember, this is back before the 24-hour new cycle when adults ran our National Defense...

HKGuns
09-18-15, 08:18
If you had a real, live, Soviet spy insider with that level of information, would you let the Soviets know anything about what you knew? Remember, this is back before the 24-hour new cycle when adults ran our National Defense...

Oh please, his defection wasn't exactly a secret. There was most certainly 24 hour news in 1995.

Renegade
09-18-15, 09:26

Read the book. The guy was not inside anything. He had been disgraced and kept on a leash for 5 years before coming to the USA.

HKGuns
09-18-15, 09:34
Read the book.

Great advice, but not going to happen. Guessing tinfoil websites is the extent of the literature exposure on this one.

Business_Casual
09-18-15, 09:40
Great advice, but not going to happen. Guessing tinfoil websites is the extent of the literature exposure on this one.

I know, I'm being a bad American because I don't believe what I'm told to believe. Bad me!

ChaseN
09-18-15, 15:02
I know, I'm being a bad American because I don't believe what I'm told to believe. Bad me!

I have no dog in this fight. I have no way of knowing whether what the book says is true or not. But, as a general rule, do you make a habit of believing the opposite of what you are told as being true?

26 Inf
09-18-15, 15:14

Dude! This guy is totally Gerasimov from the Cardinal In The Kremlin, Tom Clancy wouldn't lie!

Business_Casual
09-18-15, 15:30
I have no dog in this fight. I have no way of knowing whether what the book says is true or not. But, as a general rule, do you make a habit of believing the opposite of what you are told as being true?

I have my opinion, you have yours, let's leave it there.��

chuckman
09-22-15, 09:46
Many years ago I went to a panel interview/discussion of intel folks at a university, amongst them was a former KGB officer who defected. I can't recall his name, this was early 90s. He was quite frank in his analysis of the US and out intel incapabilities, specificaly HUMINT. He was also forthright about Reagan and how he brought down the Soviet Union. I really enjoy reading that stuff.