PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone substantiate this Wikipedia page?

HansTheHobbit
09-17-15, 09:44
So, I've been doing a lot of research on the whole SPR concept lately, and I ran across something kind of interesting. According to the Wikipedia page linked below, the SEALs are going back to using the Recce rifle (16'' predecessor to the Mk12).

When production of this rifle was turned over to NSWC-Crane, U.S. Army funding and concepts were apparently incorporated into the program (there is some confusion as to the exact events). The SEAL Teams were apparently disappointed with the performance of the resulting Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle (SPR), and convinced the program managers at Crane to return to the original specifications. Production of Recon rifle on the original pattern is progressing now according to several sources.

So basically the Army had a lot of influence on the Mk12, and the SEALs didn't like it, and now "rumors" have it that they are returning to the original Recce rifle. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

On a side note, it has been decided that the Mk12 will be replaced by the SCAR 17, so the SEALs are definitely not planning on making anymore Mk12s, at least for their own purposes. I haven't heard anything about whether the Army will continue to use them or not. This would make more sense if they are indeed refielding their old Recce rifles. In that case, they wouldn't be replacing their SPRs, but rather going back to a previous version and adding a new rifle for longer ranges. Another little tidbit I heard was that they went to the 18'' barrel thinking they could squeeze more range out of it, but that didn't pan out. So it would make sense if they're planning on having two SPRs in their arsenal, being the Recce and the SCAR 17. I also heard that the M-110 was being replaced with the SCAR by popular demand in the Army due to reliability issues, which might explain why the SEALs chose the SCAR instead of an AR pattern 7.62 sniper rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle

556BlackRifle
09-17-15, 10:27
No, I can't substantiate the Wiki page but I will say that I love my Recce and when properly built and set up, it's tough to beat.

mack7.62
09-17-15, 11:17
I find the Army angle a little hard to believe due to the fact that SPR originally stood for Special Purpose Receiver and was for uppers only. The Army would never order uppers only to save money that would be something only the Navy would do.

HansTheHobbit
09-17-15, 11:40
I find the Army angle a little hard to believe due to the fact that SPR originally stood for Special Purpose Receiver and was for uppers only. The Army would never order uppers only to save money that would be something only the Navy would do.

I'll have to take your word on that one. Luckily my experience with Army purchasing practices is fairly limited.:eek: