PDA

View Full Version : Bullet materials / powder charges?

MikeinVa
09-18-15, 09:14
Would you normally need to change the amount of the powder change called for based on the material of the bullet?

For example. If my manual calls for 4.5 gains of powder with a 124 grain Fmj bullet. Would I use that same charge for a 124 grain lead/polly bullet? The manuel makes no mention of coated lead bullets.

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid newb question but I'm still a stupid newd.

Thanks,
Mike

opngrnd
09-18-15, 14:12
Yes. All other things being equal, the type of bullet will need more or less powder to achieve the same velocity, depending on its construction. I'm tempted to say it goes Lead<Plated<Jacketed, with lead needing the least and jacketed needing the most. Of course, I may have this backwards, but if you look at the Hodgdon Reloading Manual, or even use their online version, you'll be able to see for yourself.

markm
09-18-15, 17:55
I sub plated pistol for FMJs with no adjustment. But lead does indeed require a reduction in most cases.

.46caliber
09-18-15, 18:27
If you're starting at the low end of the load data and working up, I wouldn't sweat it too much. As always, if you can verify your load with a chrono, it's a good idea.

nate89
09-18-15, 19:10
Some manuals (like the Lee) will provide separate data for lead, plated, and jacketed. The lead data is almost always a lower charge. I have always just started low and worked my way up. I have a loads that will work with either coated lead, plain lead, or plated. I leave my press alone and just load whatever I happen to get.