PDA

View Full Version : BCG weight

Mrshmitty
09-19-15, 00:03
So I have seen some BCGs that have cut outs to make them lighter, my question is does this really make much of a difference? If I was to go with this style BCG what else would I have to change? I like the idea of making the AR as light as possible but wouldnt a lighter BCG wear out parts faster because it cycles faster? (would it really cycle faster too?) Anyways I just thought I would as as I am looking into getting a new BCG with the Nickle Boron finish which hopefully will aid in cleaning.

Iraqgunz
09-19-15, 00:18
It's silly gimmicky stuff. I would also advise you research nickle boron very thoroughly before making a decision.

So I have seen some BCGs that have cut outs to make them lighter, my question is does this really make much of a difference? If I was to go with this style BCG what else would I have to change? I like the idea of making the AR as light as possible but wouldnt a lighter BCG wear out parts faster because it cycles faster? (would it really cycle faster too?) Anyways I just thought I would as as I am looking into getting a new BCG with the Nickle Boron finish which hopefully will aid in cleaning.

bfoosh006
09-19-15, 06:26
Deleted

SC-Texas
09-19-15, 22:09
3 gun and other competition. Sure. Other than that . . . It's a gimmick

Attorney at Law
www.TexasGunTrust.com

Mrshmitty
09-20-15, 04:31
This rifle will be my patrol rifle eventually so I would like something to be 100 percent. I wish I could take one of my M1As but the department says it's not allowed. Personally I think the SOCOM 16 would be a perfect patrol rifle especially with the TAP 110 grn ammo. Anyways I guess I will do more research on the Nickel Boron and scrap the lightweight BCG idea. Thanks for the info guys.

SC-Texas
09-20-15, 10:53
For a duty rifle stay with the proven set up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tom12.7
09-20-15, 16:35
In the confines of the platform that is commercially available now, a properly gassed system could only benefit in terms of span of function with a reduced mass carrier is when that reduced mass is then added to the weights of the buffer. Total mass stays the same in the reciprocating system. There are differences in buffers, not all share the same traits in terms of function.
I would be hesitant to use most of the methods of mass reduction to the carrier for any serious use.