PDA

View Full Version : VP9 Sights

Nengland
09-19-15, 15:34
I recently acquired an HK VP9 and am searching for a good set of sights to replace the stock sights. I carry a Glock 19 and GLock 26 with the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on both and really enjoy and prefer them. I am aware of the Trijicon HD offering but haven't shot a gun with them on it. Is the rear sight distracting at all? I guess what Im after is a really hi vis front and blacked out or at least minimally distracting rear sight. Im open to suggestions and recommendations if someone could help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

mkmckinley
09-19-15, 15:59
You might also check out Ameriglo as they have a few options with the high visibility front sights. If you're interested in fiber optic Dawson Precision makes some really nice ones that aren't expensive. I personally prefer a medium to small notch and thin front sight so I started using the dawsons. The paint/tritium front sights are excellent for their intended purpose but necessitate kind of a thick front sight. Also Dawson has a few height options to dial in your sight picture while the Ameriglos and Trijicon HDs I've used seem to have a "drive the dot" sight picture where the POI is the dot itself, not the actual top of the front sight. Again this actually works pretty well for a quick close range shot but I prefer a classic sight picture. It all comes down to personal preference.

The_Watcher
09-19-15, 17:48
10-8 makes sights as you describe. Or an XS big dot front with a 10-8 rear. Hilton mentions which size rear matches the XS on his site I believe.

I should add that I consider the gold bead front sight hi viz...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTF425
09-19-15, 17:52
I'm a huge fan of the Dawson carry rear sights with a .105 wide front fiber optic. If you buy a set direct from Dawson, you can exchange your front to dial in the POI to your liking.

teksid
09-19-15, 18:27
I've used seem to have a "drive the dot" sight picture where the POI is the dot itself,

That's how you shoot a VP9. This is my first time shooting mine.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/65a0a61eed1a3be624b065177cd6208e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkmckinley
09-19-15, 21:46
That's how you shoot a VP9. This is my first time shooting mine.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/65a0a61eed1a3be624b065177cd6208e.jpg

I suppose that would depend on how you have your sights regulated, wouldn't it?

Flatland
09-20-15, 00:45
Trijicon HD's are nice but I am going back to a plain back. I am patiently waiting for 10-8 Precision to get their U notch rear sight in to go with their fiber optic front. I hear great things about Dawson Precision including custom sight building for those that are interested.

teksid
09-20-15, 05:19
I suppose that would depend on how you have your sights regulated, wouldn't it?

Sorry, I meant with the stock VP9 sights.

montrala
09-21-15, 03:48
I have Trijicon HD on my SFP9 (EU version of VP9) and they are not "drive the dot". More like 6 o'clock hold with POI some 3" over top of front sight blade at 27 yard (25m). I actually want to put front sight from set made for HK45 (it is little taller per Trijicon website) to bring POI down a little. This is with 124gr Magtech FMJ ammo.

Nightstalker865
09-21-15, 08:01
I have Trijicon HD on my SFP9 (EU version of VP9) and they are not "drive the dot". More like 6 o'clock hold with POI some 3" over top of front sight blade at 27 yard (25m). I actually want to put front sight from set made for HK45 (it is little taller per Trijicon website) to bring POI down a little. This is with 124gr Magtech FMJ ammo.

That's surprising to hear. The HD's on my M&P's and Glock's shoot POA/POI. I've got a set for the VP9 that I haven't installed yet. I hope they don't turn out to be a 6:00 hold setup for me.

GTF425
09-21-15, 08:12
That's surprising to hear. The HD's on my M&P's and Glock's shoot POA/POI.

And this is interesting to me. I have HDs on my Glock 19s and both have a 2.5" hold under at 25 yards. Great for shooting B-8s for score, but I'm in the process of swapping them out for a set of Dawson's to get my POA/POI where I want it.

Evan_O
09-21-15, 23:46
I had a set of HD sights on my VP9 and dumped them for numours reasons, one of which was the 3" hold I had to account for. I prefer POA/POI instead of a six o'clock hold.

Nightstalker865
09-22-15, 06:13
Man you guys are really making me rethink the idea of the putting the HD's on my VP9. Maybe I'll just throw them on my P30SK instead.

montrala
09-22-15, 07:49
If you have them or are going to get anyway, then put them on VP9 and try. I may have funny eyes or something ;)

MadAngler1
09-22-15, 14:56
I recently acquired an HK VP9 and am searching for a good set of sights to replace the stock sights. I carry a Glock 19 and GLock 26 with the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on both and really enjoy and prefer them. I am aware of the Trijicon HD offering but haven't shot a gun with them on it. Is the rear sight distracting at all? I guess what Im after is a really hi vis front and blacked out or at least minimally distracting rear sight. Im open to suggestions and recommendations if someone could help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

No, the rear sight is blacked out enough to where you won't see the tritium lamps on the Trijicon HDs during daytime shooting. Your eyes will be focused on the orange front and the target, just like on your Hackathorn sights.

I have Trijicon HDs on a HK P30 and two Glocks. I love them. I really do believe three tritium dots are a necessity for any sort of low light or night shooting, especially when using a flashlight. The rear dots really do help ensuring alignment at night vs a plain rear black. At least, that's what I dscovered at Gunsite and LAV's courses.

MadAngler1
09-22-15, 15:01

What is the POI and POA at 7-10 yards? The Trijicon HD VP9 sights are the same as the P30's. My P30 shoots on the front dot for the first 10 yards or so. At 20-25 yards, the point of impact will be 2" above the point of aim. That's the way it is on my 1911s and Glocks as well, or most pistols for that matter.

09-22-15, 20:30
Does anyone make a non tritium rear sight similar to the 10-8 or Burwell M&P rear sight with out the U notch?

Rushing
10-08-15, 03:40
In the same position here, OP. Looking to get Trijicon HDs or Heinie Ledge sights.
HD sights look really great and I plan on having them specifically for carry reasons. Also because it makes it a lot easier to pick up.
I really like the look of the Heinie sights, but there is little talk about them. Installing them might be difficult unless you send them the slide and have them install them.

K1tt3n5
10-08-15, 20:03
Mine came with the meprolight sights and I'm replacing the rear with a 10-8.

Evan_O
10-12-15, 03:29
Both the Heinie and Trijicon HDs will need to be fitted to the slide. They both come oversized and you'll have to file them down. Mr. Dawson has a great video on YouTube describing the process (for his sights but it applies to all sights).

Salsantini
10-16-15, 10:32
I have a set of Heinie straight 8 sights on my VP9. Love the Heinie sight.

TCB
10-17-15, 18:54
10-8 rear sights were in stock yesterday...finally!