PDA

View Full Version : noveske kx3 flash suppressor?

30 cal slut
07-28-08, 13:11
hmm, saw one of these recently.

any 'splain the benefits and features, other than they look otherwordly?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imcat/cat11_0.jpg

No Bananas
07-28-08, 14:23
Tag for better info than I have

Noveske's website doesn't go into much description :mad:. I know a little of what I've read and talked about with others, but I don't have any direct experience myself.

I've read that this one is designed for SBRs. It is supposed to focus the report forward, so that it doesn't seem as loud to the shooter and bystanders. It is supposed to create backpressure, and thus, make your SBR more reliable. As for actual flash-hiding I haven't heard anything.

I talked to one guy at the range who had one. He said that his 10.5" SBR functioned fine with it or without it. Didn't notice a difference. He said that there was a difference in sound, but not a lot. (I don't know what is really expected in terms of sound or blast reduction...it's not a silencer). Anyway, he said he wasn't all that impressed and sold it.

I'm currenltly registering a 10.5" SBR. Like all things Noveske, it's pricey. The real issue for me is that it's so long. If the report bothered me that much, I'd rather get a 12.5" upper. The OAL will be a bout the same (as a 10.5" w/ Noveske brake) and you might as well get more FPS out of it.

tiger seven
07-28-08, 15:04
My personal experience with one mounted on a 10.5" LMT:

It's big, and heavy, and expensive; but it does the job it's made to do very well.

It does very little in terms of flash suppression, but then it's not really designed to do that. If fired with the right sort of ammo in low light conditions, the fire-breathing pig on the side is not much of an exaggeration!

It does an excellent job of taming the muzzle blast and noise from short barrels. It focuses the sound and blast forward, away from the shooter. In general, the shooter doesn't notice much of a difference, but everyone around you definitely will. If you don't think it's doing much of anything, let someone else fire your SBR while you're standing beside them.

It does boost back pressure somewhat, which helps with reliability when firing commercial-spec .223 ammo (especially low-pressure stuff like Wolf) or when the gun's getting dirty or dry.

If you don't find the noise/blast from 10.5"-11.5" barrels particularly loud or obnoxious, then you probably don't need a KX3. You'd be better off with any of a wide variety of traditional flash suppressors.

Derek

markm
07-28-08, 15:22
Tag for
The real issue for me is that it's so long. If the report bothered me that much, I'd rather get a 12.5" upper. The OAL will be a bout the same (as a 10.5" w/ Noveske brake) and you might as well get more FPS out of it.

That's my attitude on it.

Stickman
07-29-08, 00:47
It does boost back pressure somewhat, which helps with reliability when firing commercial-spec .223 ammo (especially low-pressure stuff like Wolf) or when the gun's getting dirty or dry.

Derek

I've got a 9.5" upper that I've been playing with, and with the KX3 it runs like a sewing machine in semi or FA work. If you aren't running a short gun, don't worry about it, its not something you need. If you are running a little guy, its worth looking at.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/IMG_3712%201028%20Stick.jpg

uxb
08-09-08, 22:55
I think they are a must for 7.5" systems. Not for reliability as much as directing concussion downrange.

http://www.fototime.com/D83979E8B00EE9F/standard.jpg

MisterWilson
08-09-08, 23:37
Hey Stick, what's that goop on the end of yours?

theJanitor
08-10-08, 01:24
i'm having ADCO cut a barrel for me as i type this to 13.7 inches. it'll make the OAL over 16 to be legal. i'll post a pic when it's done. they guy i'm training with tells me that it's the most comfortable attachment for your teammates in a CQB arena

idk
08-10-08, 02:24
i'm having ADCO cut a barrel for me as i type this to 13.7 inches. it'll make the OAL over 16 to be legal. i'll post a pic when it's done. they guy i'm training with tells me that it's the most comfortable attachment for your teammates in a CQB arena
I did the same thing to my AR10 and it shoots very nice.
Roger

Stickman
08-10-08, 13:39
Hey Stick, what's that goop on the end of yours?

Abuse, primarily in the form of FA drills on a 9.5" blaster.

exitinyourhead
08-10-08, 13:55
i leaned my rifle against the wheel gaurd on my mule atv today and now it has a nice rubber coating on one side (sigh)

on the plus side, the kx3 on a 10.5 inch lmt upper with an h2 buffer ran without a hiccup today (about 300 rounds)

any hints on how to take melted rupper off a kx3 appreciated.

MisterWilson
08-10-08, 13:56
I'd just shoot it & get it hot, take a few paper towels (doubled over to be very thick as to not burn yourself) and take a quick wipe at it.

uxb
08-10-08, 19:23
Spray liberally with OFF bug spray and allow it to soak in. It will soften/dissolve most of the rubber.

MisterWilson
08-10-08, 19:24
Wow. How in the blazes did you ever come to find that out?

:confused:

DHC45
08-10-08, 21:20
Timex Ironman watches don't react well to bug spray... or spray on sunscreen...

uxb
08-11-08, 12:03
Wow. How in the blazes did you ever come to find that out?

:confused:

Used lots of bug spray in Central America.

exitinyourhead
08-11-08, 12:11
hmmmm bug spray

i'm going to give it a try and the little bit left. after it cooled off completely most of it just flaked off. still a little bit left. If it doesn't come off it will just give it character i guess.

spamsammich
08-11-08, 12:19
heh, DEET is nasty stuff. I grew up in Alaska, just looking at a bottle of OFF makes my liver hurt. We'd use the 95-99% DEET when we dip net for red salmon, and when it rained our raingear would start melting from it.