PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a FF mid-length rail w/ FSB cutout?

jlficken
07-28-08, 13:53
I think I want to mount a light at the 12 o'clock position and also keep the standard FSB but I can't find a rail that has the cutout. There are a few CAR length ones but no mid-length ones I could find. Has anyone seen such a beast? The only other option I can think of is a barrel mount like the SureFire or the one where you send your upper and he fastens a piece of rail to the FSB neither of which I am too crazy about.

spamsammich
07-28-08, 13:56
I think Troy makes one.

jlficken
07-28-08, 14:01
Thanks but from what I can find it is for CAR length only. I should specify this is for a Mid-Length gas system in case there is any confusion.

LOKNLOD
07-28-08, 14:39
Daniel Defense makes both the M4 and Lite rail in the 12.0 FSPM configuration, which is a rifle length rail with cutout for a midlength FSB. Neither one has rail at the 12:00 position in front of the site though, which sounds like what you're wanting. You'd need a 14.0" rail or so to have the same space in front of a Middy FSB as you do with a 12.0" rail on with a CAR FSB.

If you want a fixed front sight with a 12:00 light in front of it on a mid-length, I think the best solution would be to get a 12.0 rail, shave your gas block, and then put an LMT fixed front rail-mounted sight behind the weaponlight. I'd much prefer that setup to one of the barred or FSB mounted rigs.

rob_s
07-28-08, 14:41
Shave the FSB, install DD Lite rail over it, put light at 12 and bolt-on sight behind it.

jlficken
07-28-08, 14:50
Thanks for the advice guys. That is probably what I am going to end up doing. I have read a lot of posts about the 12 o'clock light being much better than 6 o'clock which led me away from the Cletus mount: http://www.crosstac.com/AR-15-Accessories/Cletus-Front-Sight-Picatinny-Rail.html

That plus it looks like the light would hang pretty low and I wanted to try to keep the light tight into the rifle. It looks like it's time to start saving for a rail.

RD62
07-28-08, 16:02
Shave the FSB, install DD Lite rail over it, put light at 12 and bolt-on sight behind it.

+1 to this. If you like the fixed style front sight you can use the LMT rail mount fixed.

I too like a fixed FSB and for me the closest solution to a 12:00 mount with the standard fsb I have found that I like is to use either a VTAC or VLTOR offest mount on the top rail which puts the light about 11:00 or 1:00 depending on which way you mount it. Just another route to consider.

Good luck!

-RD62

Stickman
07-29-08, 00:42
I have read a lot of posts about the 12 o'clock light being much better than 6 o'clock which led me away from the Cletus mount:

That plus it looks like the light would hang pretty low and I wanted to try to keep the light tight into the rifle. It looks like it's time to start saving for a rail.

No point in having things hang low off the weapon if there are other ways around it. Personal preference becomes a large part of light mounting, and what works great for one person may not work at all for another. Check it out, see how you like it, and go from there. If possible, see if a buddy has a rail setup you can try out first. Until then, here is a quick picture.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%20II/IMG_7320%201028%20stick.jpg