PDA

View Full Version : Attention Classic Horror Fans...Dracula (1931) On The Big Screen Near You...

SteyrAUG
09-20-15, 23:33
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/dracula-double-feature

TCM / Fathom Events have been doing classic films on the big screen for awhile now.

The first one I saw was several years ago when they did Casablanca. I of course had never seen the film in the theater and it was truly remarkable. Since then I have seen Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein, Rear Window and Christmas in Connecticut.

Some films can't truly be appreciated without the theater experience. For example I could never imagine not seeing Star Wars as a kid on the big screen. No home theater really comes close. You can appreciate the film, but it isn't quite the same thing.

I grew up watching classic horror films with my father, and Creature Features was regular viewing in our home. I have probably seen the original Frankenstein more than 40 times. I really did see the film again for the first time when I saw it in a theater.

Bride of Frankenstein was of course corrupted forever due to my viewing of Young Frankenstein and during the blind guy in the cabin scene I kept seeing Gene Hackman. Was still a great time.

I only wish they would do King Kong (1933), it's one of my favorite films and I can only imagine what a big screen presentation would be like. During the 1950s several of the original Universal classic horror films were rerun in theaters across the country. That was one of the driving forces in the resurgence of interest in "monster movies." The other two factors of course were the Hammer film remakes and the airing of classic films on television in the early 1960s.

So if you are a fan of movies such as Dracula (1931) don't miss this chance. It is being shown as a double feature with the 1931 Spanish version.

Firefly
09-21-15, 00:29
I LOVE the original Dracula. Bela Lugosi was literally born to do that.

This was back when vampires were tormented Satanic souls who both reveled and lamented in their unholy undeath. "Children of the night" is still the baddest line ever. The only other vamp movies that come close are Lost Boys and The Monster Squad. And Fright Night.

Then all that Twilight crap happened ruining vampires forever.

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-15, 01:48

I think Ann Rice beat Stephenie Meyer, the author of Twilight crap by at least a decade or two.

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 02:02
I LOVE the original Dracula. Bela Lugosi was literally born to do that.

This was back when vampires were tormented Satanic souls who both reveled and lamented in their unholy undeath. "Children of the night" is still the baddest line ever. The only other vamp movies that come close are Lost Boys and The Monster Squad. And Fright Night.

Some of the Christopher Lee Dracula films are impressive with "Prince of Darkness" probably being his best. Speaking of Hammer films you'd probably also enjoy the Karnstein Trilog, "The Vampire Lovers", "Lust For A Vampire" and "Twins of Evil."

The Hammer remake "Let Me In" is probably the single best vampire movie I've seen in the last 30 years. "The Hunger" is probably the best vampire movie of the 1980s, "Vamps" should also be on that list.

But yeah, with the exception of possibly "Nosferatu" (which gets points for being first, more true to the Stoker vision and Max Schreck as one of the best vampires ever), the Lugosi 1931 film is likely the definitive vampire movie of all time.

Other honorable mentions are the 1970s made for TV film "Salem's Lot" and if you are a fan of Nosferatu then you have to see "Shadow of the Vampire" (2000), a really interesting take on the original film.

Anyone who is even a passing fan of Alyssa Milano will immediately want to see "Embrace of the Vampire" (1995).

I wanted desperately to like Coppola's 1992 Dracula but it was mostly style with little substance and horribly cast. Didn't even come close to Langela's 1979 Dracula which was a far more powerful stylistic take.

There are probably a dozen other really good films that I forgot to mention, but Twilight isn't one of them.

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 02:05
I think Ann Rice beat Stephenie Meyer, the author of Twilight crap by at least a decade or two.

"Interview With The Vampire" was a wonderfully executed, original take on the genre, one of my favorite vampire films. Sadly "Queen of the Damned" sucked horribly. How one could be so good and original and the other so horribly bad is beyond me. But I guess people manage to screw up Tom Clancy films so anything is possible.

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-15, 02:12
"Nosferatu"

This vampire and the Space Vampire from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century were frighting to me as a small child.

And I think Christopher Lee in general is one of the most underrated actors of all time. That guy was awesome.

Firefly
09-21-15, 03:42
I do indeed enjoy Hammer. Pretty risque and gory for its day. Plus lesbian vampires. Hot lesbian vampires.

If you mean Vamp from the 80s...would that be the one with Grace Jones and she's all painted up and does a striptease I've never seen so well choreographed since Flashdance. I still have it on VHS somewhere.

Interview with the Vampire was a good movie but Anne Rice herself is horrible. Her and Laurell K. Hamilton.

These women write vampires as metrosexual fops who live by rules and whatnot.

If I were a vampire, man I'd take out crackhouses Terminator style and eat fat chicks.

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 15:37
I do indeed enjoy Hammer. Pretty risque and gory for its day. Plus lesbian vampires. Hot lesbian vampires.

If you mean Vamp from the 80s...would that be the one with Grace Jones and she's all painted up and does a striptease I've never seen so well choreographed since Flashdance. I still have it on VHS somewhere.

Interview with the Vampire was a good movie but Anne Rice herself is horrible. Her and Laurell K. Hamilton.

These women write vampires as metrosexual fops who live by rules and whatnot.

If I were a vampire, man I'd take out crackhouses Terminator style and eat fat chicks.

Same Vamp with Grace Jones. Vampire strippers. Agree on all other points as well.

titsonritz
09-21-15, 15:49
If you have not seen it, check out Nosferatu, it was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula released in 1922. Creepy.

jmp45
09-21-15, 18:06
I never cared much for the Dracula films vintage and new, but Nosferatu is amazing. A recent vamp mockumentary that's hilarious is What We Do In The Shadows.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows/70300668

Averageman
09-21-15, 18:17
Back in the day;
There used to be a magazine called "Famous Monsters of Filmland" the editor was a guy named Forrest Acherman and if you're a fan of those old movies it was a gem.
Lost of rare and lost stills from the making of those movies, many interviews with people who worked on the sets.
They are a great find if you might see some at a rummage sale or flea market.

Ed L.
09-21-15, 20:28
"Interview With The Vampire" was a wonderfully executed, original take on the genre, one of my favorite vampire films. Sadly "Queen of the Damned" sucked horribly. How one could be so good and original and the other so horribly bad is beyond me.

Completely different screenwriters and directors.

Steyr, I really enjoy your posts.

For a completely different take on vampires see the movie Byzantium, a quality English film from the person who directed Interview With A Vampire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zu2cW7AhO8

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 20:32
Back in the day;
There used to be a magazine called "Famous Monsters of Filmland" the editor was a guy named Forrest Acherman and if you're a fan of those old movies it was a gem.
Lost of rare and lost stills from the making of those movies, many interviews with people who worked on the sets.
They are a great find if you might see some at a rummage sale or flea market.

Yep, and there was also this one.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11701073_849368868477259_7965101340645444438_n.jpg?oh=928c7f6e3b902414a8ec777ad0405c6b&oe=56A824C7

Famous Monsters of Filmland is where Peter Jackson saw scenes of the spider pit in the original King Kong (1933) that are now lost and decided to recreate it.

OH58D
09-21-15, 20:44
I'm another fan of the Hammer Seven Arts films from the late 1950s to the early 1970s. I was always a fan of Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Ingrid Pitt and other stable actors. Hammer produced medium budget films but their set decoration and period costumes were as good or better than anything Hollywood made.

Averageman
09-21-15, 20:49
I'm another fan of the Hammer Seven Arts films from the late 1950s to the early 1970s. I was always a fan of Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Ingrid Pitt and other stable actors. Hammer produced medium budget films but their set decoration and period costumes were as good or better than anything Hollywood made.

Plus they had hot chicks and lots and lots of cleavage.

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 22:36
Completely different screenwriters and directors.

Steyr, I really enjoy your posts.

For a completely different take on vampires see the movie Byzantium, a quality English film from the person who directed Interview With A Vampire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zu2cW7AhO8

Already have it. My vampire genre collection of DVDs is something like 125 titles.

SteyrAUG
09-21-15, 22:41
Plus they had hot chicks and lots and lots of cleavage.

Yes they did.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/543x435q90/237/a157tb8.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-15, 23:34

In case anyone was looking for a new signature line, this is some great material.

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 01:37
Bump.

Firefly
10-25-15, 01:59
My top 5 vamp movies

1. Dracula. It was on retro tv and despite or possibly because of being 80something years old; it is legitimately artful and creepy. Even if color existed it should still be b&w

2. Lost Boys- if you were any kind of 80s kid and saw this in theaters, you know how badass it was.

3. Vamp- Grace Jones can be sexy and still totally horrifying

4. Vampire Hunter D- it was pretty much castlevania the anime.

5.Vampire in Brooklyn......SIKE...Fright Night. No joke, Fright Night. It had it all...the soundtrack, Roddy McDowall...and a complex vampire. Like...he was just trying to get by. And that one line when the girl sees his paintings that are like centuries old that looks like her and says "She's someone I knew. A long time ago....." It had that hidden depth.

Granted I'm biased towards a lot of 80s stuff but there it is.

MistWolf
10-25-15, 02:39
It would be awesome to see Dracula on the big screen! Bela Lugosi was perfect for the role. It would be great to see the classics in a theater a they were meant to be. Thirty years ago I got the chance The Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D on the Big screen. It was an amazing experience!

Dark Shadows was of typical soap opera quality, but considering they had to do nearly every scene in one shoot, the actors and production crew did an impressive job and the show has an atmosphere all it's own. It also brought us Barnabas Collins, the penultimate vampire in my book. He was a gentleman, kind, thoughtful and well mannered when dealing with the Collins family and ruthless and cruel when it came to achieving his nefarious plans and is hard driven by his obsessions. It's terrifying that all these aspects are his true character. It's more terrifying to see him exert his will with a word or a glance, striking fear while rarely, if ever, resorting to the use of his vampiric powers. No other vampire, even Bela Lugosi's dreaded Dracula chills my blood like Jonathan Frid's Barnabas Collins

polydeuces
10-25-15, 09:02
What....no mention anywhere of 'Only lovers left alive'?
Brilliand and bloody!

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 17:11
Just got back, really great experience.

While I've seen it many times, I really enjoyed the Spanish language version. Lupita Tovar was absolutely gorgeous and just recently celebrated her 105th birthday.

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 17:22
My top 5 vamp movies

1. Dracula. It was on retro tv and despite or possibly because of being 80something years old; it is legitimately artful and creepy. Even if color existed it should still be b&w

2. Lost Boys- if you were any kind of 80s kid and saw this in theaters, you know how badass it was.

3. Vamp- Grace Jones can be sexy and still totally horrifying

4. Vampire Hunter D- it was pretty much castlevania the anime.

5.Vampire in Brooklyn......SIKE...Fright Night. No joke, Fright Night. It had it all...the soundtrack, Roddy McDowall...and a complex vampire. Like...he was just trying to get by. And that one line when the girl sees his paintings that are like centuries old that looks like her and says "She's someone I knew. A long time ago....." It had that hidden depth.

Granted I'm biased towards a lot of 80s stuff but there it is.

I do believe you are forgetting "The Hunger" (1983) with Catherine Deneuve.

Firefly
10-25-15, 18:26
I do believe you are forgetting "The Hunger" (1983) with Catherine Deneuve.

Yep. But those were just five. I actually liked Innocent Blood because that girl played la femme nikita and got WAAAAAY naked. And I actually liked that one with Nic Cage where he eats a cockroach.

It wasn't until Twilight that vampires got lame.
Then there's Blacula and I think he even fought Blackenstein.

MistWolf
10-25-15, 18:36
I actually liked Innocent Blood because that girl played la femme nikita

Which Nikita? There are at least four to choose from

Firefly
10-25-15, 18:39
Um...no. There's only one. The original movie.
She was this wispy grungy chick. And she called in Jean Reno and they shot up that embassy.

MistWolf
10-25-15, 18:44
Um...no. There's only one. The original movie.
She was this wispy grungy chick. And she called in Jean Reno and they shot up that embassy.

There has been one remake with Bridget Fonda and two TV series after the original movie

Firefly
10-25-15, 18:54
There has been one remake with Bridget Fonda and two TV series after the original movie

Hmm....yeah but they suck. Point of no return was weird. Everybody had these expensive match .22 pistols. I actually watched it before Nikita and was pissed off at how a low budget French movie was better than the lame remake.
So I elect to disregard them.

SteyrAUG
10-25-15, 20:45
So here is a nice shot of Lupita.

http://www.judexfanzine.net/v1/foto_arxiu/dracula_hispano4.jpg