PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the PTR-91 experts...

Slater
09-23-15, 07:34
Just picked up my new PTR-91 GI (S/N G17xxx).

(1) Noticed that the cocking tube end cap and setscrew are missing. Are these parts that are typically bought aftermarket?

(2) Also, I understand that the flash hider can come loose and separate if not periodically checked during firing. I'd like to replace the factory one with a flash hider that has the retaining clip. Is it just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing on the new one, or is there some sort of alignment that's necessary?

Berserkr556
09-23-15, 18:20
Just picked up my new PTR-91 GI (S/N G17xxx).

(1) Noticed that the cocking tube end cap and setscrew are missing. Are these parts that are typically bought aftermarket?

(2) Also, I understand that the flash hider can come loose and separate if not periodically checked during firing. I'd like to replace the factory one with a flash hider that has the retaining clip. Is it just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing on the new one, or is there some sort of alignment that's necessary?

I'm not a PTR expert but I know your rifle should have came with an end cap. I'd call PTR, they'll probably ship you one asap. There is no set screw for the end cap. The threaded hole on the right side (ejection port side) of the front sight triple frame is for the bayonet adapter retaining screw. If you buy a bayonet adapter it should come with the screw.

As for question 2. I'd just shoot your rifle and see if it's loose after a couple hundred rounds. Yes I've witnessed a few PTR-91 flash suppressor fly off and there's a few accounts on different forums of it happening. On the other hand they made thousands of these rifles so the chance is slim compared to the number produced. If you want to replace the flash suppressor with one that has the retaining clip then yes it's a matter of removing one and installing the other until tight. They don't have to be timed.

Slater
09-23-15, 19:12
Thanks for the info. I know that any company can have an "oops" now and then, but it did make me wonder - if something that obvious was overlooked then what else could be wrong with this thing? Guess I'm a "glass half empty" type. Probably won't get around to shooting it for a while, unfortunately.

misfit47
09-29-15, 11:19
It's entirely possible that piece fell out along the way. Replace it with the bayonet adapter!

Slater
09-29-15, 11:51
That's a possibility for the future, but I contacted PTR customer service and they were quite responsive. The part has been shipped already.