PDA

View Full Version : Battery Assist Lever

AM-15
09-23-15, 17:58
As of lately have built an AR for precision bench work.
While doing so was wanting something to control the function of bolt release from the starboard side while keeping my hold on the rear bag for the next shot.
I single load only using a Bob Sled.
Did a search here and You tube of different devices.
Settled on the Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever.
Just installed it tonight and will run it through its paces this weekend.
When installed properly there is no movement other than the play in the roll pin to paddle tolerance.
Thinking of installing a coil type roll pin instead of the typical split type for added strength.

Clarence

KUSA
09-23-15, 18:03
Did someone copy Magpul?

Tomac
09-23-15, 18:10
Have you considered the Redi-Mag Redi-Release?: https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=56
I've tried the Magpul BAD lever and much prefer this for releasing the bolt (for one thing, it doesn't intrude into the trigger guard area) and when combined w/their Redi-Catch I have more reliable manual lock-back as well.
Tomac

titsonritz
09-23-15, 18:41
Did someone copy Magpul?

There are several versions out there. I use to have the Magpul version on one of my rifles but took it off.

kirkland
09-23-15, 18:53
Phase 5 makes a nice one that goes in place of the bolt catch

Tx_Aggie
09-23-15, 19:09
Have you considered the Redi-Mag Redi-Release?: https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=56
I've tried the Magpul BAD lever and much prefer this for releasing the bolt (for one thing, it doesn't intrude into the trigger guard area) and when combined w/their Redi-Catch I have more reliable manual lock-back as well.
Tomac

+1 to this.

The Redi-Release by Redi-Mag is an excellent product, and is the Redi-Catch. The Redi-Release also avoids the problem of inconsistent bolt-lock on an empty mag occasionally seen with MagPul BAD style levers.

SteveL
09-23-15, 20:27
I've used the Tactical Link BAL and it worked Ok most of the time but did cause occasional malfunctions. I took it off and the malfunctions ceased. Later I tried a Magpul BAD and never had any problems with that one, but I eventually took it off as well. I think (never confirmed for sure) that the Tactical Link version caused malfunctions and the Magpul version did not because the TL version is a bigger, heavier part. If you handle them together the weight difference is very noticeable. For your stated use it may not matter. For any general use gun I like the enhanced bolt catches from Forward Control Designs or Seekins Precision.

Kain
09-23-15, 20:49
Tomac

Interesting. Would like to see an comparison of these to a B.A.D. lever, especially the profile of how they fit. I used to run the B.A.D. on a couple of my go to rifles, but they eventually found their ways into my parts bin. Not because they didn't work, or because I had issues. They worked, and didn't cause any problems, as far as the rifles were concerned. However, as I progressed, I found them to actually be a liability with running rifles without them since I grew to rely on them, less for reloads and more for locking bolts to the rear, and then they did cause some annoyance with them hanging in the trigger guard. Since the spread was 40/60% as to who of us did and didn't have them, I phased them out.

Tomac
09-24-15, 07:40
Interesting. Would like to see an comparison of these to a B.A.D. lever, especially the profile of how they fit. I used to run the B.A.D. on a couple of my go to rifles, but they eventually found their ways into my parts bin. Not because they didn't work, or because I had issues. They worked, and didn't cause any problems, as far as the rifles were concerned. However, as I progressed, I found them to actually be a liability with running rifles without them since I grew to rely on them, less for reloads and more for locking bolts to the rear, and then they did cause some annoyance with them hanging in the trigger guard. Since the spread was 40/60% as to who of us did and didn't have them, I phased them out.

The Redi-Release is spring-loaded to keep the lever snugged up against the top of the receiver so it doesn't hang in the trigger guard. Manually locking the bolt back, using their Redi-Catch I find it easier to press in on the mag release than to press up on the BAD lever.
Tomac

Tx_Aggie
09-24-15, 07:48
The Redi-Release is spring-loaded to keep the lever snugged up against the top of the receiver so it doesn't hang in the trigger guard. Manually locking the bolt back, using their Redi-Catch I find it easier to press in on the mag release than to press up on the BAD lever.
Tomac

A quick Vid by Redi-mag showing how the two devices can be used together (your description is excellent, but I thought this might be a nice addition):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJ1vfzKEyw&feature=youtu.be

Gunfixr
09-24-15, 08:00
I have a rifle with a pdq ambi bolt release. It was made for lefties, I believe, and that's why I put it in this rifle.
However, it is reached by the trigger finger of a right handed shooter very easily.
Push up to manually lock the bolt open, push down to release the bolt.
It does require a mod to the lower, that of opening up the bolt release slot all the way through the receiver. They have instructions for doing this both with a mill and hand tools.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

AM-15
09-24-15, 19:00
I honestly do not think I will have any problems with the weight of the BAL to cause malfunction of the bolt to lock back.
If you have ever used a Bob Sled the spring tension to lock the slide back is very strong.
A heck of a lot stronger than any AR magazine out there.

Clarence