PDA

View Full Version : 'Doomsday Vault' sees its first withdrawal

Waylander
09-24-15, 10:47
I had never heard of this.

It would seem gun nuts aren't the only preppers. :D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/09/23/newser-doomsday-vault/72671518/

The "Doomsday Vault" just got its first bit of doomsday press: coverage of its first-ever withdrawal of seeds.

The vault has since 2008 sat on the Norwegian island of Svalbard, 800 miles from the North Pole where the soil is always frozen. It's a place so cold that Reuters explains that in the event of power failure the crop seeds within the vault would be preserved for at least 200 years. That makes it an ideal location to house and safeguard the seeds in the event of catastrophe, and the first catastrophe of sorts has apparently occurred: Syria's civil war

When disaster strikes, the Arctic seed vault forms a sort of planetary insurance policy."

brickboy240
09-24-15, 10:51
So because of Syria...Norway has to start using their emergency savings?

...wonderful

Waylander
09-24-15, 10:56

...wonderful

More vaults are supposed to be build in Morocco and Lebanon. You would think they maybe could choose any places not anywhere near the ME. :confused:

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-15, 13:48
IIRC the US has the single largest stockpile of heirloom seeds there.

Pretty interesting place. Hope we can access it after the next glacial maximum.

SteyrAUG
09-24-15, 14:35

...wonderful

Basically.

wildcard600
09-24-15, 17:36

...wonderful

No, i the organization who had the seeds deposited there made the withdrawl. Unless i am just reading this whole thing incorrectly.

MistWolf
09-25-15, 01:49
The article wasn't really clear as it's poorly written, but it sounds like seeds are being transferred from the Norway vault to a vault in the middle east

BuzzinSATX
09-25-15, 05:50
IIRC the US has the single largest stockpile of heirloom seeds there.

Pretty interesting place. Hope we can access it after the next glacial maximum.

Between Alaska and Canada, you'd think if we as a Nation did think we needed to use a vault for emergency seed storage, we'd at least build it on our own continent. Plenty of facillities above the arctic circle in North America would seem to work...

Alex V
09-25-15, 06:37
There is a seed vault at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Not sure if the seeds are food plants or not. Can't remember. There was a "Dirty Jobs" episode on it.

I'm sure there are other locations we don't know about.

Moose-Knuckle
09-25-15, 11:26
I'm sure there are other locations we don't know about.

No doubt, some say we are in beginning stages of the sixth great extinction. If the leaders/elites of the world had knowledge of this anyone think they would tell all of us lowly serfs. Every time I read about things like the seed vault I think to myself; "what do they know that the rest of us don't" lol.