PDA

View Full Version : argh ... replacing M&P rear sight = PITA

30 cal slut
07-28-08, 22:26
ok, got front and rear sights off of my M&P / 9.

replacing the front sight was a snap with the mgw sight tool.

wasn't so bad removing the rear sight too.

but putting a new warren rear sight back on = !@#$#$@!#$@!#$@!#$!@#$@!#$!@#$@!%^!@#$@!#$@!%^!@#$

it's not the spring and the plate ... got that down. it's getting the new sight to go on evenly. should i be periodically hammering on the front end too?

all surfaces are lubed.

f*ck, i need to get to bed, this is killing me.

30 cal slut
07-28-08, 22:32
ok, i was able to put the stock rear sight back on.

guess the mgw tool doesn't like warren sights.

Robb Jensen
07-28-08, 22:33
ok, got front and rear sights off of my M&P / 9.

replacing the front sight was a snap with the mgw sight tool.

wasn't so bad removing the rear sight too.

but putting a new warren rear sight back on = !@#$#$@!#$@!#$@!#$!@#$@!#$!@#$@!%^!@#$@!#$@!%^!@#$

it's not the spring and the plate ... got that down. it's getting the new sight to go on evenly. should i be periodically hammering on the front end too?

all surfaces are lubed.

f*ck, i need to get to bed, this is killing me.

Most new Warren sights for M&Ps will require some removal of metal to install correctly on most M&P slides. This is beyond the skill level of some DIY/Hack-Fu GunWerkes/WECSOG/home-armorers skill level.

30 cal slut
07-28-08, 22:38
thanks ! oh well, i dorked one set of rear sights. :D

Fail-Safe
07-29-08, 01:54
When I put the 10-8 rear on my M&P 9, I gotta be honest, I just beat the shit out of it with a delron hammer. That and a smidgen of filing got the job done. Then a little loctite on the set screw and I cranked the it down.

HeadHunter
07-29-08, 08:42
WECSOG
That's a new one on me. What does it stand for?

Jay Cunningham
07-29-08, 09:11
This is beyond the skill level of some DIY/Hack-Fu GunWerkes/WECSOG/home-armorers skill level.

You mean normal people?

markm
07-29-08, 09:29
That's a new one on me. What does it stand for?

Wile E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing.

http://www.wecsog.org/wecsog.html

John_Wayne777
07-29-08, 12:13
Huh...

I put plain black Warren rears on all my M&P's with the MGW sight tool and never had a moments trouble. It took a little bit of extra torque on the screw handle but I got them in just fine.

I replaced the rears on my Glocks with Warrens as well and never really had any issue with getting them to fit.

Of course, Robb has installed far more of these things than I have so he's the expert. I'll have to keep that in mind when I go to replace the plain black rears with tritium rears.

subzero
07-29-08, 17:30
You mean normal people?

I wouldn't say that. In my limited experience, Warrens have gone on quite easily. A light swipe with a file across the bottom to start removing finish and they slip on. Burwells take a bit more to go on (dorked one up quite nicely when I tried to put it on without any filing) but nothing excessively complicated. Even if I'm using the Glock rear sight tool to put sights on or (God forbid) a hammer and punch, they all seem to go on relatively easily.

Front sights on the other hand, can be a stone cold bitch. I LOVE the MGW M&P front sight tool but it doesn't work for the longer slide M&Ps (45, Pro, L). It makes sight swapping so easy it's like cheating.

John_Wayne777
07-29-08, 18:01
Front sights on the other hand, can be a stone cold bitch.

The technical term is "Bitch on stilts".