PDA

View Full Version : San Fransisco's Last Gun Store To Close

Vandal
09-24-15, 17:24
Being basically forced out of business by the City because of more regulations designed to make people "feel good".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/24/surrender-san-fran-iconic-last-gun-shop-to-close-over-new-regulations/

From the article:
"The proposed new city regulations, which could only be aimed at High Bridge Arms, would have required the shop to take and preserve video of all transactions and turn customers' personal data over to police on a weekly basis."

Some of the quotes from the City Manager are gems of the SF public safety mindset.

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-15, 17:29
This from the city that gives sanctuary to illegal aliens and has so many bums pissing in the public domain that lamp posts are rotting and falling over lol . . .

Lamp post destroyed by urine falls in street, just misses driver
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/City-lamp-post-falls-and-urine-was-a-factor-6424634.php

Close that evil gun shop but by God let those bums defecate in public.

SteyrAUG
09-24-15, 17:43
Hard to imagine that there ever was such a thing as Golden State Arms or Stembridge.

Amazing.

Vandal
09-24-15, 17:55
This from the city that gives sanctuary to illegal aliens and has so many bums pissing in the public domain that lamp posts are rotting and falling over ...

The homeless are a damn protected species in that crap-hole.

gunrunner505
09-24-15, 17:57
Well, when San Fran continues to be a shit hole, they can't blame guns because hey, you can't buy one there.

7.62NATO
09-24-15, 18:17
Well, when San Fran continues to be a shit hole, they can't blame guns because hey, you can't buy one there.

This is how it works:

1.In a gun control friendly state, enact/promulgate onerous laws, regs, ordinances, codes, rules, etc. that make it impossible to be in the firearms business.

2. FFLs are shut down one by one.

3. Complain that gun violence is not abating, because firearms are coming in from free states/cities/counties.

4. Appeal to the federal/state/local executive and legislative branches for more gun control legislation to stop firearms at their origin.

5. Enact/promulgate more gun control laws at federal/state/local level(s).

5. Rinse and repeat until we have UBCs, registration, no hi-caps, and no "AWs".

Of course, as we all know, this won't stop gun violence.

26 Inf
09-24-15, 18:17
The homeless are a damn protected species in that crap-hole.

You beat me to it, part of the wonderful allure of Baghdad By the Bay.

Firefly
09-24-15, 18:49
*Read in a Walter Cronkite voice*

"And as the flag lowers on the last holdout of resistance, the majority rules in San Francisco. The last truck loads up with weapons. And soon the area will be under further Communist occupation."

lowprone
09-24-15, 19:01
When the city slides into the Pacific and all the vile corruption is sent to the depths,
I will begin to believe in a higher being.

wildcard600
09-24-15, 19:29
This from the city that gives sanctuary to illegal aliens and has so many bums pissing in the public domain that lamp posts are rotting and falling over lol . . .

Lamp post destroyed by urine falls in street, just misses driver
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/City-lamp-post-falls-and-urine-was-a-factor-6424634.php

Close that evil gun shop but by God let those bums defecate in public.

Thats "progress" for you.

TAZ
09-24-15, 21:00
When the city slides into the Pacific and all the vile corruption is sent to the depths,
I will begin to believe in a higher being.

I will greatly miss the landscape of Kali as it truly is a beautiful state. But I won't shed a tear when the big one hits and it slides off into the Pacific. I take that back. I might shed a tear casue they have some good wine there.

gunrunner505
09-24-15, 21:18
This is how it works:

1.In a gun control friendly state, enact/promulgate onerous laws, regs, ordinances, codes, rules, etc. that make it impossible to be in the firearms business.

2. FFLs are shut down one by one.

3. Complain that gun violence is not abating, because firearms are coming in from free states/cities/counties.

4. Appeal to the federal/state/local executive and legislative branches for more gun control legislation to stop firearms at their origin.

5. Enact/promulgate more gun control laws at federal/state/local level(s).

5. Rinse and repeat until we have UBCs, registration, no hi-caps, and no "AWs".

Of course, as we all know, this won't stop gun violence.
I agree completely. But the next time these libs want to stand up and crow about how guns have no business in (insert place here) California, give them 2 words. Leland Yee. They may now go sit in the corner and suck their thumb. Maybe eat a crayon.

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-15, 23:19
Hard to imagine that there ever was such a thing as Golden State Arms or Stembridge.

Amazing.

I don'g know about Golden State Arms but IIRC Stembridge in Glendale had to close when the owner's financial partners realized how much the price of all their MGs went up after FOPA. Mr. Glendale blamed it on productions moving over seas and to Canada.

It's amazing to think about the number of my favorite movies their guns were in; Predator, etc.

SteyrAUG
09-25-15, 01:07
I don'g know about Golden State Arms but IIRC Stembridge in Glendale had to close when the owner's financial partners realized how much the price of all their MGs went up after FOPA. Mr. Glendale blamed it on productions moving over seas and to Canada.

It's amazing to think about the number of my favorite movies their guns were in; Predator, etc.

At one time GSA was probably the second largest importer of firearms in the US. The largest was in NY. Between the two of them, they probably imported more firearms in the 1960s and 1970s than all other importers combined.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00000000173.jpg~original

Iraqgunz
09-25-15, 05:32
I have some 9mm ammo that my uncle bought at Golden State that was imported from the U.K.

It said to see the guys at Highbridge loose their shop. They were in my class last year in San Rafael and they were good guys.

At one time GSA was probably the second largest importer of firearms in the US. The largest was in NY. Between the two of them, they probably imported more firearms in the 1960s and 1970s than all other importers combined.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00000000173.jpg~original

Moose-Knuckle
09-25-15, 11:14

Why did GSA close their doors?

SteyrAUG
09-25-15, 14:30
Why did GSA close their doors?

I'm assuming CA regulated them out of business at some point.

Abraham
09-25-15, 15:00
Funny calling SF a shit hole as that particular orifice is in high demand in that part of the world...

Big A
09-25-15, 17:12
So why don't they pack up their inventory and head to Vegas to set up shop?

SteyrAUG
09-25-15, 19:06
So why don't they pack up their inventory and head to Vegas to set up shop?

Probably the usual, family ties and things like that. Not sure if the CA housing market it still in the toilet. It can be pretty easy to get locked in, especially when the state tanks your business. Probably trying not to take a complete and total loss and start over from zero at a new and unfamiliar location.

Iraqgunz
09-26-15, 09:01
Golden State Arms went out of business in the late 1960's before CA went to shit. Supposedly one of the main guys Seymour Ziebert made some bad business decisions and there was competition in the international arena (which is important when selling surplus from all over the world).

CA gun laws remained relatively sane until after the 1989 Stockton Schoolyard shooting. After that it was a gradual chipping away of the gun rights and then the continual shift in politics to their current mess.

I'm assuming CA regulated them out of business at some point.

Abraham
09-26-15, 11:33
With the last gun store going the way of the buffalo, I wonder how many criminals will decide to move to SF, (or already have) with an entire city being at their disposal?

No doubt, there are a few guns left in the hands of the law abiding, but the odds now are much less an occupational hazard of getting shot for a criminal while plying his trade...

The land of milk and honey, greener pastures, for the upwardly mobile criminal is SF.

26 Inf
09-26-15, 12:05
CA gun laws remained relatively sane until after the 1989 Stockton Schoolyard shooting. After that it was a gradual chipping away of the gun rights and then the continual shift in politics to their current mess.

I had forgotten about that. Hindsight being 20/20, Purdy was the poster boy specimen of an active shooter.

SteyrAUG
09-26-15, 14:32
Golden State Arms went out of business in the late 1960's before CA went to shit. Supposedly one of the main guys Seymour Ziebert made some bad business decisions and there was competition in the international arena (which is important when selling surplus from all over the world).

Thanks, I had actually read a three part article on Bob Brenner (I think that was his name) in Small Arms Review but couldn't remember what became of GSA.

Firefly
09-26-15, 14:44
Kinda hard to believe that 30 years ago all our most beloved shows and movies with guns were made in CA.

Interesting how a lot of movies are being made in GA that are action or whatever. I know a lot of movie guns now are airsoft, fake resin, or something but there was always something alluring about real hardware(albeit blank adapted) being used.

The point is everything amusing and grand gets ruined by hippies and do-gooders

ETA Guilty pleasure show Z Nation MUST be Airsoft. They've been using an M110 and a KAC PDW.

SteyrAUG
09-26-15, 16:47
Kinda hard to believe that 30 years ago all our most beloved shows and movies with guns were made in CA.

Interesting how a lot of movies are being made in GA that are action or whatever. I know a lot of movie guns now are airsoft, fake resin, or something but there was always something alluring about real hardware(albeit blank adapted) being used.

ETA Guilty pleasure show Z Nation MUST be Airsoft. They've been using an M110 and a KAC PDW.

Yeah, the worst is CGI muzzle flashes. No matter who does it, it looks fake.

JoshNC
09-26-15, 22:12

When did CA make it all but impossible to own title-2 firearms?

Iraqgunz
09-27-15, 07:02
The movie industry has exemptions in place and are allowed to possess different stuff with DOJ movie/entertainers permits.

Firefly
09-27-15, 10:45
True, IG. But there does seem to be more use of fake guns with CGI flash or whatnot. Maybe it's just me, but everything seems more fake compared to years ago.
But it's still sad they are closing up for the average guy. I guess they can buy a gun out of town, but it is still totally un-American