PDA

View Full Version : New G19 Range Repot & Chrono Info...

Straight Shooter
09-24-15, 22:22
Took my new Gen4 19 out today for its first official range time. I installed Ameriglo Pro-I Dot sights, did a .25 cent trigger job and added Maritime spring cups just cause I had em in my box o' stuff.
I absolutely CANNOT praise those I-Dot sights enough!! So easy to hit with it aint funny. Very generous rear sight picture gives plenty of room to pickup the lime green, photo-luminescent Tritium front sight. I checked these in the dark last night & boy howdy do they POP! All ammo tested was within 2" POA out to 20 yards. A few loads were dead on.
Ammo used was Winchester Ranger 127gr. +P+....Hornady American Gunner 124gr. +P....Remington Golden Saber 124gr...
Federal Aluminum 115gr FMJ...Speer 124gr FMJ...Blazer 115gr FMJ....and a few Speer Gold Dots.
Pistol ran 100%. None of the +P or +P+ loads gave any trouble at all as far as recoil and fast double/triple taps. The defense loads all shot almost exactly point of aim to 20 yards, very pleased about that. Accuracy of all loads was great. Super pleased over getting this pistol. Now, some chrono readings:
1. Winchester Ranger 127gr. +P+: 5 rounds, Average vel: 1236fps. HI:1246 Low: 1228 ES:18fps
2.Hornady American Gunner 124gr +P XTP: 5 rounds, Average vel:1106 Hi:1134 Low: 1099 ES:35 fps.
Dang- I did not write down the others for some reason! I was soaking wet sweating so I guess I said to heck with it.
By comparison, velocities out of my G17 for the Hornady round was 5 rounds, Average Vel: 1132 Hi: 1146 Low: 1114 ES:32fps.
Decided to carry the Winchester 127gr. +P+ load, with Speer 124gr. +P Gold dots as a second choice. I can see now this pistol is popular..its a winner for sure in my book.

Stengun
09-24-15, 22:52
Howdy,

What size of groups were you getting?

Pics. We need pics or a vid or it didn't happen.

Paul

Straight Shooter
09-24-15, 23:33
Sorry, no pics. I was partly shooting, and partly working with my girlfriend getting her up & running with her new Walther PPX. That's a NICE pistol also...one of the best triggers Ive felt.
Groups on the Winchester & Hornady were ragged holes from 15 yards and closer. Way smaller than palm sized out to 20. I believe it was the Speer 124gr FMJ that was really stacking them in there the best. Got more ammo to chrony & test soon. My Ghost connector, Vickers Slide Stop & grip Plug come in this weekend, but Im working. Be a while before I can get back to the range.

Gary1911A1
09-25-15, 10:05
Sounds like a good day at the range even if it was hot outside. Did you have any brass to the face?

Straight Shooter
09-25-15, 10:24
Sounds like a good day at the range even if it was hot outside. Did you have any brass to the face?

NONE, sir. I hadn't even thought about that until you asked! Seems that problem has long been fixed. I fired at or over 200 rounds or so, and couldn't be more pleased with the gun and those I Dot sights.

brickboy240
09-25-15, 10:36
Sounds great!

Can you give us a link to those I-dot sights?

I have an older 3rd gen G19 in need of sights and I am exploring options.

Thanks

Straight Shooter
09-25-15, 14:20
brickboy240-
Just go to the Ameriglo.com website...they are there. One word of caution: They no longer manufacture the U shaped rear sight, which is what I initially tried to order. A gent on the phone told me the demand just wasn't there, until they stopped making them! Anyway..IM SO GLAD I got the square rear sight. They are on sale now for $75 + $10 for shipping...a GREAT deal, imo. Let me know your opinion!

Gary1911A1
09-26-15, 11:19
NONE, sir. I hadn't even thought about that until you asked! Seems that problem has long been fixed. I fired at or over 200 rounds or so, and couldn't be more pleased with the gun and those I Dot sights.

Thanks Straight Shooter. I too have notice less reports of BTF recently. Think I'll try another 19 Gen 4.

Stengun
09-28-15, 15:25
Howdy,

Thanks Straight Shooter. I too have notice less reports of BTF recently. Think I'll try another 19 Gen 4.

I always consider BTF a user error problem that was caused by improper grip and or stance.

One of the "Gun Gurus" on Glock talk posted a video of himself shooting a Gen 4 G17 and you could clearly see in his video that he changed his stance and grip plus he had his G17 turned at about a 70 degree angle to get BTF.

He clearly did this on purpose so he could badmouth Glocks.

Paul

opngrnd
09-28-15, 16:44
My new(as of last Friday) Gen4 G19 exhibited no BTF during the 200 rounds I put through it on Saturday. Hopefully they are past that set of issues. I noticed that particular gun was produced mid August.

Straight Shooter
09-28-15, 18:48
Howdy,

I always consider BTF a user error problem that was caused by improper grip and or stance.

One of the "Gun Gurus" on Glock talk posted a video of himself shooting a Gen 4 G17 and you could clearly see in his video that he changed his stance and grip plus he had his G17 turned at about a 70 degree angle to get BTF.

He clearly did this on purpose so he could badmouth Glocks.

Paul

You know Stengun- I really thought that too. When I bought my G17 a few years ago, for a long time I was getting BTF. I consciously did all I could, and even let many others shoot it so I could see if it was doing with them, it was. Got a $12 Ejector from Midway and BOOM..many thousands later nary a BTF. SOMETIMES it really is the gun...sometimes not. I think one must try to determine if it is grip, or not.
CAUTION: HAVING SAID THIS...LETS not start up this old BTF debacle again..PLEASE! Two years or more of that was enough. The BTF subject and current FireClean/Crisco thread fiasco's were and are getting on my LAST nerve.

Tigereye
09-29-15, 12:51
I found myself going back to the FC thread like viewing a crash site. I finally made myself stop.

Hwikek
10-01-15, 13:43
I had BTF with a Gen 4 G19 I bought in May. After replacing the extractor and the ejector I think I have found that the G19, for whatever reason, seems to move around in my hands more easily than say a G34. However I think that the gun has also just been fixed as a new shooter tried it out and had no problems with BTF for the 30 or so rounds they shot. Hopefully this is the end of my personal BTF saga but one can never be too sure.

JLeeACP
12-11-15, 18:56
Seems like whenever a new 9 catches my eye and I buy it, after a few weeks I go back to carrying my Gen 4 19. There's just something special about the 19.

Edmo
12-14-15, 01:12
I have a Gen4 G19 and the wife has a Gen3... Great guns and they also sport the I Dot Pro sights. You have good taste in both your defensive handgun and sights.

Edmo

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/Edmo_03/gun%20stuff/image_zpsdae20c8d.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/Edmo_03/gun%20stuff/IdotPro_zps843d78b9.png