PDA

View Full Version : Correct Scope Mount

SeaSoldier
09-25-15, 09:03
I'm about to purchase a mount for a Mk4 2.5-8 Leupold scope. When is a 20MOA mount needed versus a standard mount? I will be mounting the scope on an 18" SPR. Should I order a standard mount or 20MOA.

TaterTot
09-25-15, 09:45
Mounts with built-in MOA are used for when you're going to be shooting extended distance. If you plan on shooting past 500 regularly I'd get the 20MOA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you even gun bro?

Why you mad bro?

SomeOtherGuy
09-25-15, 14:41
Mounts with built-in MOA are used for when you're going to be shooting extended distance. If you plan on shooting past 500 regularly I'd get the 20MOA

Correct and maybe. You don't really need elevation in the mount until 800+ yards depending on the scope and load chosen. Not many people would use 20 moa elevation with a 2.5-8x scope. You might notice that the scope is angled and find this distracting for close in use at 2.5x, which I assume is a possible use for a relatively low magnification scope.

Run a ballistic calculator with your intended bullet and a reasonable velocity estimate, find out the required elevation for the maximum distance you're likely to shoot, then compare that to the scope's range of elevation travel (the "up" elevation from a zero, which is roughly half of the total travel if you use a 0 moa mount). If the required elevation adjustment at your maximum likely distance is more than the scope has available, you will want the 20 moa mount. If it's substantially less, you probably won't, and if it's right around the same number then you may or may not and should evaluate what you're really going to use the combination for.

SeaSoldier
09-25-15, 20:29
Thanks Gents