PDA

View Full Version : G42 .380 for wife's "car gun" - feedback from those who own/have shot G42 requested

XD40Colorado
09-25-15, 15:49
Hi guys,

I live in Albuquerque, NM. This city has some of the WORST and most-aggressive driver's in the United States. This sets the stage for my backstory, why I want my wifey to carry:

3 weeks ago, she was driving on the freeway, home from work. 1.5 miles before her exit, she put on her blinker to let others know she needed to merge. She got closer and closer to the exit, no one would let her merge. So passed it by, thinking to just catch the next exit. Well, this continued, with no one either speeding up or slowing down to let her merge, for the next 8 exits. After the eigth exit, it's 6 miles until the next one, then approximately 10 miles after that. So she moved over in front of a car who was tailgating her and not letting her merge. She rolled down her window, and politely waved to the driver (I must emphasize here, there was NO middle-finger, shaken fist, etc). For those of you in ALbuquerque, this occured from the Commanche exit to Tramway/Roy.

Well that driver FOLLOWED her, tailgating at high speed for the next seven stoplights. At one point, he got out of his car and approached my wife's car, actually kicking the back bumper, leaving a dent, and smashed a tail light with what she said appeared to be a pipe, wrench, or tire-iron, a long metal object. Luckily she was smart enough to run a red light (safely) to get away. She also was smart enough to drive to a firestation, pull into the parking lot there and call 911.
Had she not been able to run that red light, who knows what might have happened. She's a fit woman, 5'8" 130 lbs, but still, compared a pissed-off man, that's nothing. He could have hurt or killed her. She wants to carry pepper spray, but at a few feet distance, the chance that it blows back into her face is high, which would be completely counter productive.

So all that said, I want her to carry a gun in her center console. She has agreed. I've let her shoot my XD9 subcompact, my M&P Shield, and a Remington R1911. She says they're "too jumpy" and "have too much kick for her". I've heard the G42 is a pretty sheet shooter. I think it would be perfect for her: Glock reliability, low recoil (so I hear), and a decent caliber for close-range self defense (likely never longer than from driver's seat out the driver's window).
I will be loading it with Hornady 90gr XTP based on http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/07/hornady-custom-380-auto-90-grain-xtp.html and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

What do you guys think? Thanks for the input! Be safe.

Oh, and yes, in New Mexico, your car is considered an extension of your home, so no CCW is required to carry in your car. Can be concealed in the car in a glovebox, under seat, center console etc.

TexasAggie2005
09-25-15, 16:11
I own a G19 & G42. Since concealment isn't an issue, I would recommend the 19. Less felt recoil and better bullet. I don't feel the 380 is a good enough option if you have the choice of a 9mm. Especially with the chance of shooting thru glass.

XD40Colorado
09-25-15, 16:30
You know, I didn't even consider the 19! LOL!
Pretty low recoil in the 19?

AKDoug
09-25-15, 16:51
Training and more training is what she needs. If she finds those guns that you mentioned to be too "jumpy" and "have tooo much kick" she needs some more time behind handguns. She also needs good training in when she is allowed to shoot and developing a proper mind set for defending herself. A fit 5'8" woman can handle a full sized 9mm with no issues at all. If it's going to be a car gun, a full size is better than a small one.

Flankenstein
09-25-15, 16:53
Skimmed your long winded op but if it is not on her person why not go with a bigger gun?

TAZ
09-25-15, 18:12
The 42 is an easy to shoot gun, but it would not be my first choice for defense if absolute concealment was not required. I use it for the rare occasion where I have to be super discrete, but even then I reach for the 43 now days.

No matter what she chooses (and it should be her choice not yours) you will need some serious training BEFORE she starts toting a gun around. CHL or no she needs to understand the responsibilities and mindset for carrying a gun around. She also need to have some level of safety and proficiency.

bjxds
09-25-15, 19:46
Sorry to hear your wife encounter with a real POS. FWIW I agree with others as to PROPER training in general. AND specifically inside a car, that is a "Whole Nother" level of training.
Since concealment is not a concern I also agree that there are much better choices in handgun model/caliber. Keep in mind the sub compact guns are much harder to shoot accurately, especially for a novice. I would make sure you also purchase a quality holster, don't just throw it in the center console. Also consoles tend to collect junk, at least mine does, so if you go with that option make sure the gun is readily accessible.

I am saying this with your wife's best interest in mind, but selecting the "best gun" is only one one very small part of an overall plan that will protect her.

jmp45
09-25-15, 20:05
You know, I didn't even consider the 19! LOL!
Pretty low recoil in the 19?

My wife is very petite, 5' 4". She has a Shield, G19 and LCP. She loves her Gen3 G19, it's her go to. G19 should be soft enough for anyone. Might be an issue to ccw for her but for the console, that would be my choice.

El Cid
09-25-15, 21:20
Some valid concerns have been voiced. After some training she will be much more comfortable and confident with whatever handgun she chooses.

The other concern is that of caliber. In general .380 is concerned sub par. In fact many experts recommend using FMJ for carry because the caliber has trouble penetrating a human. Throw in the barriers of vehicles... I believe .380 is a recipe for disaster. Even .38+P would probably be better. Best case scenario she should be shooting through her own window.

As for Glocks, the Gen 4 guns with their double recoil spring are very soft shooting. Another good option with minimal recoil would be an HK USP 9.

Finally if she is keeping it in the console consider a weapon mounted light as well as a quality laser. Confined inside her car she may have a hard time using the sights because she may not be able to extend the weapon. A laser would help her aim in such a scenario. There is also the chance that the threat sees the laser and decides to leave. It can't be counted on to happen - but it's a well documented phenomena.

Good luck. I lived there in the 90's and am sad to see nothing has changed.

calviroman
09-25-15, 21:39
I live in ABQ as well. Never had any issues on the roadways beyond the typical high traffic volume during rush hours. I would recommend signing her up for the "ladies only" defensive pistol courses offered at Calibers (see their website) as it sounds like she needs real training. For a strictly car gun, I also recommend a Glock 19 Gen 4 with no backstrap installed and standard pressure loads, such as the excellent Federal HST (P9HST1). Also, no offense at all, but based solely on your description of that driving situation it sounds like she is not very confident behind the wheel.

Slvr Surfr
09-27-15, 11:31
My advice, is to take her to a range that allows you to rent guns and let her pick and try guns that will fit her best. I did that with my wife and it worked well. What fits you best may not fit her at all. As stated above the smaller the gun the more recoil it has typically.

I also agree with more shooting training as that will teach her how to handle the recoil better.

XD40Colorado
09-27-15, 17:07
My advice, is to take her to a range that allows you to rent guns and let her pick and try guns that will fit her best. I did that with my wife and it worked well. What fits you best may not fit her at all. As stated above the smaller the gun the more recoil it has typically.

I also agree with more shooting training as that will teach her how to handle the recoil better.

Well she handled my XD 3" in 9mm - it's a tank at 26 oz. Has tritium night sights and CT grip. She's now claiming it as hers - good that she likes it, bad
that it's mine lol. I think it could be a really good starter gun for her. It's pretty heavy, handles recoil well, and pretty accurate to boot. Guess now I get to buy that full size M9 I've always wanted lol.
I had her do some dry firing (observing the four cardinal rules of course), and her practicing mag changes.

Also, in 2 weeks I have signed her up for a "Ladies Only Intro to Handguns" class.

RHINOWSO
09-27-15, 19:00
I own a G19 & G42. Since concealment isn't an issue, I would recommend the 19. Less felt recoil and better bullet. I don't feel the 380 is a good enough option if you have the choice of a 9mm. Especially with the chance of shooting thru glass.

This for sure.

XD40Colorado
09-27-15, 20:23
Read the above dude.
Thread #12.

okie john
09-29-15, 13:41
I think you need to look at things very differently.

Even a tiny car has far more stopping power than any firearm, plus it has the advantage of speed. I'd spend a lot of time talking through how to use the vehicle to break contact and/or gain distance from trouble. It also sounds like in this case there was plenty of time to call 911 (about 10 minutes on the highway and maybe that much more once she reached surface streets), so I'd also look into installing hands-free cell communication so she can call 911 while the issue is in progress. If that isn't possible, or if the cavalry is taking too long, then I'd want her to focus on fighting with the car to buy time and (hopefully) improve her tactical situation.

It's only time to go to guns if all of that fails. And you really don't want a novice shooter trying this--there are tons of tactical considerations that this thread has barely begun to consider: how to decide when to engage a target that approaches from the rear, legal ramifications of backing over an attacker vs. shooting him, how to engage multiple targets while you're wearing a seat belt, how to draw a pistol and get your sights on target without sweeping yourself or your passengers, how to handle the side-effects of firing a pistol in an enclosed space, what happens with all of that glass flying around, etc. So in addition to an introductory class and a carry class, she also needs a class that deals specifically with street and vehicle tactics, plus lots of training reps with her own car, her own pistol, and live ammunition. Again, not problems you want anyone you care about to solve for the first time in the heat of the moment.

So all that said, I want her to carry a gun in her center console.

Finally, this strikes me as a very weak part of the plan. It may be OK to have a pistol in the center console while the car is moving, but it should be on her body when she exits the vehicle. This will help keep it from getting stolen, and it will be there if she needs it while walking to and from the car. If she meets another driver like this, he might just follow her until she parks, then attack once she's out of the car.

Okie John

XD40Colorado
09-29-15, 13:58
John,

Way to put things in perspective for me. That is actually a really good point about using the car. I will talk to her and work with her on this.
The car actually has bluetooth - I just haven't set it up yet. That is something I will need to do tonight, as soon as I'm off work. You're absolutely right. Would have been MUCH easier to have her hit the bluetooth button and say "call 911" than driving and parking.

As far as the firearm in the car issue, I have worked with her on how to safely draw and fire --- using snap caps, in a bright red Krylon-ed "Snap Cap Only" magazine. Can you suggest anything else?

This is why I post stuff like this. Multiple points of view and input are extremely useful.

okie john
09-29-15, 14:12
John,

Way to put things in perspective for me. That is actually a really good point about using the car. I will talk to her and work with her on this.
The car actually has bluetooth - I just haven't set it up yet. That is something I will need to do tonight, as soon as I'm off work. You're absolutely right. Would have been MUCH easier to have her hit the bluetooth button and say "call 911" than driving and parking.

As far as the firearm in the car issue, I have worked with her on how to safely draw and fire --- using snap caps, in a bright red Krylon-ed "Snap Cap Only" magazine. Can you suggest anything else?

This is why I post stuff like this. Multiple points of view and input are extremely useful.

Glad to help.

I'm pretty sure that ABQ is in one of the main corridors for former Tier-I guys as they work their way across the US, so get her up to speed on the basic stuff with solid local resources, and find someone with serious cred to help with the street and vehicle stuff. This is much more a training issue than a gear issue.

Okie John