PDA

View Full Version : Aim surplus trade in G19.2

kenny256
09-26-15, 15:15
So I bought my first G19 yesterday! Aim had the gen 2 police trade ins for $360.

I figured it was a good buy and that since I am sending it off to be spruced up with some stippling it would make a good project gun!

I have a gen 4 G17 that I have fallen in love with over the last few months, and figured I would give the G19 a try and if I like it enough it may turn into my new ccw.

Gun will ship this week and turn around on the work will be a few days after that, I hope to have pics and a range report up soon after that!

Has anyone else bought these from Aim or even from this batch that they just got it?

cathellsk
09-26-15, 18:16
My brother and I got one each, should be here Monday they said. I'm hoping they are NYPD guns like the last couple of batches they've had. I can't confirm that, just what I heard on GlockTalk.

KalashniKEV
09-26-15, 19:25
I'm hoping they are NYPD guns like the last couple of batches they've had.

Why?

NYPD Glocks have a 12~12.5 pound trigger pull.

jpmuscle
09-26-15, 21:45
Why?

NYPD Glocks have a 12~12.5 pound trigger pull.
Which can be changed in what, 5 mins? I'm guessing his desires are more for nostalgic reasons.

lunchbox
09-27-15, 00:03
Damn!! Im always out of cash every time Aim has the trade in 19s on sale.

cathellsk
09-27-15, 00:03
Which can be changed in what, 5 mins? I'm guessing his desires are more for nostalgic reasons.

This...

Evel Baldgui
09-27-15, 13:01
If they are NYPD guns, does that mean, never fired?

KalashniKEV
09-27-15, 15:52

Lots of things can be changed on a Glock in 5 minutes.

Why would you hope for something to need changing? The 12.5 lb pull is pretty universally considered undesirable.

Also, unless something has changed since my father retired from NYPD, the officers purchase and own their own individual weapons. The only mass turn-in I've heard of is the Kahr K9s for the trigger.

DirectTo
09-27-15, 18:51
Went ahead and ordered one and the hand select. Always wanted a G2 19 to complement my G2 17.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

kenny256
09-27-15, 19:47
Went ahead and ordered one and the hand select. Always wanted a G2 19 to complement my G2 17.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

No problem man! I have been wanting a G19 and this seemed to good to pass up.

Turnkey11
09-27-15, 20:14
If they are NYPD guns, does that mean, never fired?

They've been fired, they just hit bystanders instead of suspects.

HCM
09-27-15, 21:33
My brother and I got one each, should be here Monday they said. I'm hoping they are NYPD guns like the last couple of batches they've had. I can't confirm that, just what I heard on GlockTalk.

They may come from other PD's in NY state but NYPD doesn't issue guns. NYPD Officers buy them from the NYPD Equipment section along with their other uniforms and equipment while they are in the academy. The get a choice of Glock 19, S&W 5946 and SIG P226 DAO. One of the reasons for the Glock 19's popularity is it is the cheapest of the three.

David W
09-27-15, 23:00
Boy did those Glock 19 magazines go fast or what?

Eurodriver
09-28-15, 10:21
Bought 3 in January and 5 this time.

Really like the January shipment better. They of course all had the shitty NY trigger in them but they all had fairly bright night sights.

This months shipment is all plastic sights.

I can buy a new Gen4 for $398 with plastic sights and 3 mags. The night sights made it worth it.

KalashniKEV
09-28-15, 10:46
They of course all had the shitty NY trigger in them...

I guess this is where the "NY" connection comes in.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of PDs spec the NY1 and NY2 trigger spring.

ETA: I bought a 26 from the January batch and it had a standard coil trigger spring and good NS.

cathellsk
09-28-15, 22:35
Got mine today, AWB xxx serial number which should be around early '94 according to GlockTalk. Not too bad a shape, some carry wear, has plastic stock sights, a NY2 trigger spring, and came with a pre ban mag with a 9mm1 follower. Calling GLOCK tomorrow to see if I can maybe find out where it served.

BangBang77
09-29-15, 04:56
I'm fairly new to glocks, having moved from HKs and 1911s, so please forgive my ignorance.

Are the internals the same between the Gen2 and the Gen3?

I've been running the Glock Triggers "Guardian" in my LAV G17 and my new Gray G17 and if these trade-in 19s will take the same internals I'll grab one.

kenny256
09-29-15, 07:39
What spring kit should I get for a ccw use?

ST911
09-29-15, 08:09
What spring kit should I get for a ccw use?

OEM. Standard connector, coil or NY1 spring.

cathellsk
09-29-15, 09:19
Just got off the phone with Glock, mine is from Apr.'94 and my brother's (AZX xxx) is from Aug.'94. He told me they were "shipped to an agency in NY state". I asked if NYPD and he said they are not allowed to give out the information. Really? On a 21 yr old police trade in? Rules are rules I guess.
I called AIM to ask them, he said sometimes they are told and sometimes not...this time they weren't.
I know its not a big deal, just like knowing is all.

DirectTo
09-30-15, 13:58
Edit: disregard post. Gun shipped today.

CRAMBONE
09-30-15, 15:13
.Are the internals the same between the Gen2 and the Gen3?

For the most part. A lot of the parts have been upgraded and updated through the years. Most of the parts that have been upgraded can be changed out for new parts. Except the extractor, you still have to use a Gen 2 extractor if the slide doesn't have a 45* cut.

USMC_Anglico
09-30-15, 15:43
They may come from other PD's in NY state but NYPD doesn't issue guns. NYPD Officers buy them from the NYPD Equipment section along with their other uniforms and equipment while they are in the academy. The get a choice of Glock 19, S&W 5946 and SIG P226 DAO. One of the reasons for the Glock 19's popularity is it is the cheapest of the three.

NYPD is transitioning all new recruits to the G17. Older carry pieces are grandfathered, including the few revolvers still out there (saw a boss with one recently)

dcs12345
09-30-15, 23:09
Bryan at Aim has stated

I am not allowed to disclose where they came from, BUT i doubt they got shot more than once a year, and would really doubt these guys cleaned much, they are from "pencil pushers"

HCM
10-02-15, 12:22
NYPD is transitioning all new recruits to the G17. Older carry pieces are grandfathered, including the few revolvers still out there (saw a boss with one recently)

Wow - interesting, Are they still going to use the NY + trigger ? One of the big arguments for the G19 was its a good size for the guys who want one gun for both duty and off duty.

I wonder if reliability issues with the 19's were a factor ?

My agency issues SIG 40's but the 17 and 26 are authorized personally owned options. We get a lot of questions about why the 19 isn't authorized. One of our legacy components used to issue gen 3 Glock 9mm's and the 19's had more documented issues than all the 17's and 26's combined. When the Gen 4 guns came out, we did some additional testing and again the Gen 4 17 and 26 were noticeably more reliable. That surprised many but the numbers don't lie.

HCM
10-02-15, 16:02

Thanks for the info. I did some follow up - I'm hearing the Gen 4 17 is simply replacing the S&W 5946 as one of three options.

It makes sense. I've been wondering how long S&W would continue to supply the 5946 since NYPD and the RCMP are the last major users.

n4p226r
10-02-15, 16:55
Wow - interesting, Are they still going to use the NY + trigger ? One of the big arguments for the G19 was its a good size for the guys who want one gun for both duty and off duty.

I wonder if reliability issues with the 19's were a factor ?

My agency issues SIG 40's but the 17 and 26 are authorized personally owned options. We get a lot of questions about why the 19 isn't authorized. One of our legacy components used to issue gen 3 Glock 9mm's and the 19's had more documented issues than all the 17's and 26's combined. When the Gen 4 guns came out, we did some additional testing and again the Gen 4 17 and 26 were noticeably more reliable. That surprised many but the numbers don't lie.
what were the issues?

HCM
10-03-15, 14:25
what were the issues?

Primarily extraction / ejection and related brass to the face. I saw one break the slide lock spring and launch the slide down range which was interesting. Round count on that gun was well under 10k. Our national firearms and tactics unit put out an RFP for new 9mm handguns earlier this year and one of the specifications was ejected brass striking the shooter will be considered a malfunction.

Fouled
10-03-15, 19:07
I just got one from this batch. I already replaced all the springs as cheap insurance. Rifling looks new. Other than slight holster wear on the slide the whole gun is like new.

kenny256
10-03-15, 21:58
I just got one from this batch. I already replaced all the springs as cheap insurance. Rifling looks new. Other than slight holster wear on the slide the whole gun is like new.

Good to hear, mine is shipping late due to technical issues with my FFL. Now it will be going out on Monday, so after custom work gets done I will have it.

Mind posting some pics?

DirectTo
10-03-15, 22:53
Same here as above...my FFL (local, in-house op) wasn't there when they delivered so I guess I'll get it Monday. I'm am impatient guy!

I won't shoot it without replacing all the springs (and the NY trigger if needed), so it's small potatos in the grand scheme of things. I'll just play with my new M1A until then!

Review to follow.

PD Sgt.
10-04-15, 14:04
Picked one of these up as well. Changed all the springs and replaced the NY trigger set up with stock and a "-" connector I had lying around. Probably one of the crispest breaks I have felt on a Glock.

My barrel showed a fair amount of smiley wear on it, but when I pulled the extractor there was virtually no wear, so I am thinking it may have been hand cycled/dry fired/loaded and unloaded much more than shot. The frame is in great shape, including the checkering. It looks like (from some residue) it had a grip sleeve on it which helped keep it looking new. Mild
holster wear on the usual spots on the slide.

One thing I would recommend, go through and strip and clean as thoroughly as possible. Mine was pretty dirty inside, and it looked like it had never been detail stripped. Cleaned up it is great, and I do like the Gen 2s for carry.

Fouled
10-04-15, 15:58
Pics per request.

The breech face was machined rough and is not rough from use.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/knibes/g19_zpsu9c1tc3l.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/knibes/g3_zpsxhf3dzmh.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/knibes/g2_zpsl6tjfvot.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/knibes/g1_zpsu2a3o451.jpg

DirectTo
10-05-15, 20:02
Picked mine up from my FFL this evening. AFL serial prefix. I paid the extra for hand pick and got a great example - completely dry, but only very light holster wear in one spot on the left side of the slide, light barrel smiley, no marks I can notice on the frame. I'll even admit the NY spring wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I may even leave it in for a range trip just to see how I shoot with it. I believe mine was cleaned prior to turn in, as there was nothing in the frame or slide and it was quite clean. Detail strip revealed much of the same, no real evidence of carriage.

Mine has bright, non-Glock-marked night sights (though the person who had mine had the rear pushed alllllll the way to the right).

Honestly, based on looking at it, I almost wonder if mine went to a paper pusher with a paddle holster that carried it to/from work, but popped it off and tossed it in a desk during the day.

I'd like to order a spring set but Glock Parts is backordered, so I'm standing by.

ST911
10-05-15, 20:22
Picked mine up from my FFL this evening. AFL serial prefix.

12/92

I'll even admit the NY spring wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I may even leave it in for a range trip just to see how I shoot with it.

If the original black leaf spring, there are folks that look for those.

Mine has bright, non-Glock-marked night sights (though the person who had mine had the rear pushed alllllll the way to the right).

Sadly common. Easier to move the sight than develop trigger control.

DirectTo
10-05-15, 23:27
12/92
If the original black leaf spring, there are folks that look for those.
Sadly common. Easier to move the sight than develop trigger control.
Thanks for the date info.

If anyone wants the original black leaf spring I'm happy to drop it into an envelope...I've got no attachment to it and a spring kit on the way with the original trigger spring (came back into stock at some point).

ETA: For those with the NY springs...is it normal for the trigger to push back slightly forward after dry firing? My normal-equipped guns all sit full aft after dry firing, this one pushes forward maybe 1/8". Easily moves either way with basically no resistance.

Split66
10-05-15, 23:56
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8562/16552154418_f1a02a6041_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rdE7QJ)IMG_4165 (https://flic.kr/p/rdE7QJ) by splittiebus 66 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/96653819@N04/), on Flickr

I got in on the last batch they had. It's my wife's carry gun. I changed all the trigger components to OEM G17 and it's a real nice shooter. One note for those getting them, mine was covered ( I mean dunked!) in the same preservative oil that BCM uses including the magazine. I know most M4C guys are on point with this stuff, but just make sure you break everything down and clean it out real good! :)

kenny256
10-20-15, 19:18
I got to hold mine today! Here is the link to a photo of it.

https://instagram.com/cavestatecustoms/

My buddies shop did the stippling, he did an amazing job!

Another cool thing that happened. My friend said that it had night sights on it, I thought cool I wonderif they work still.

He told me I would be very excited. I got there and it had like new trijicon night sight! I believe they are the HDs.

The slide is getting redone right now then it will be ready to go! Definitely money well spent.

ramairthree
10-21-15, 11:53
Damn, I missed those.

DirectTo
10-21-15, 15:06
Damn, I missed those.
No you didn't. In stock as of 1500 central today.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=5481&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2+Law+Enforcement+Trade+In

ramairthree
10-22-15, 09:38
thank you!

Got one and a 5.5lb spring coming

ramairthree
10-26-15, 19:04
Came today. Very fast and reasonably priced shipping.

And a great LGS where everyone knows my name had it ready before I even knew they got it.

Got out my bag o' Glocks out to introduce it to.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/image.jpg1_zps2juzvko1.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/image.jpg1_zps2juzvko1.jpg.html)

19 I got in 94. In awe of capacity and accuracy for size and weight when a buddy at work first showed me one. It got tritiums, factory extended which I prefer and not like a lot of options when I got it. And the Glock store or Glock meister or what ever mag release that came out ten or fifteen years ago. I prefer it to factory, factory extended, or vickers. I keep expecting it to break because it is two piece plastic but has not yet.

26 I got in 96. I remember ordering one asap after reading about it because it was going to be even more cool than the 19
I had. I loathe shooting it. Reliable and works fine, but not just a grip I can't like no matter what I mess around with. Sometimes I bring it to the range and just lay it on the table while shooting something else in the hopes someone will walk up and offer to trade me an old gen 2 17 or 92g for it. Hell, if the offer is not a lorcin or hi point I would probably say yes.

A 1997 G17 I got used last year without a lot of use. Took the hack saw to it to make a 19L and the only way I could like it more is if the actual factory gen two 19 frame fit a 17 slide.

Laugh at the kel Tec. It folds up in the bag, works, and takes g19 mags. With an even worse grip than the 26. I have a hang up about liking a carbine to complement pistols. I know it would not last a week in a carbine class or a night outside the wire. people that can't hit shit with a pistol love clearing plates with it. It should do a a shop keeper fine from his roof during a looter riot. Toss it to the fat dude with asthma and diabetic feet when the zombies are coming take off with the rest of your Glocks. sights suck, durability sucks, ergs suck, etc. and it still pisses me off Glock has not made a 9mm carbine.

On to the 19 from Aim. Also a 1994 like my other. Other than the scratch I put on the slide, it looked like a safe queen and not an LE duty gun. I have half a dozen or so beretta g, d, brigs, etc. at great prices with a lot of outer wear but little inner wear that were LE trade ins. This was much nicer on the out side. Trigger pull was the infamous NY one. All the effort to pull that a stock hammer spring DA M9 takes, but with a mush and sproinginess to make it worse. On the inside, it was strangely dry as a bone. With such little wear if not for being uncleaned I would not be sure if it had been fired anywhere but the factory.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/image.jpg3_zpshqcr5ash.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/image.jpg3_zpshqcr5ash.jpg.html)

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/image.jpg2_zpsvdrjhsip.jpg (http://s649.photobucket.com/user/ramairfour/media/image.jpg2_zpsvdrjhsip.jpg.html)

I got her cleaned up, lubed, stock trigger spring, springs, removed the orange plastic nightmare, realized I forgot to order my extended mag and slide releases. Had my usual moments of shock and disbelief when all the flimsy looking mag release spring, minute hint of plastic holding trigger spring, etc. are all working fine and not broken, etc.

Sadly, already not enough day light for a trip to the range, but should make it day after tomorrow.

To this day, you would have a hard time convincing me a gen 2 frame, updated only to put 1913 rail on the dust cover, would not be the perfect Glock frame. Feel free to stippleor undercut as you see fit, but that frame set up would be fine out of the box for me.

Dstrbdmedic167
10-26-15, 19:16
You guys are really making me want one! I like the looks of the gen 2 but I never held one in my hand. I have a gen 4 and have had a gen 3 19. Would like to have the whole set one day.

ramairthree
10-28-15, 01:22
Do it. You are not really saving money over a new gen 3 or 4, let alone a used one.
But I really like the gen 2 19.

It is the best feeling full capacity (I consider 15 rounds and up full) double stack nine grip to me. Only one other make felt as good.

I do have that cliche distaste for how it points.

If it pointed how I like,
Probably would be my favorite handgun in the world ever.

G19A3
10-28-15, 13:01
They've been fired, they just hit bystanders instead of suspects.

This is an idiotic comment.

Eurodriver
10-28-15, 13:42
This is an idiotic comment.

You're an idiotic human being.

jpmuscle
10-28-15, 14:13
I chuckled at it fwiw.

G19A3
10-28-15, 14:34
You're an idiotic human being.

You don't even know me.

But thanks for the name calling all the same.

ramairthree
10-28-15, 15:08
Hit the range,
Perfect as expected function with 100 124 grain Berry, 4.3 gr bullseye, wsp primers, mixed brass, 1.145 oal reloads.
100 WWB 115 grain Walmart ammo,
100 FC 115 grain Walmart ammo,
And 100 rounds 1960s production corrosive Egpytian production sub gun ammo.

Suspect that is about ten times as much ammo it has had through it in past twenty years.

Would have been great if more mags came with it/available.
Trigger still seems a little stiffer than my 1994 19 I have had since 1994.

Eurodriver
10-28-15, 15:12
You don't even know me.

But thanks for the name calling all the same.

I know you well enough to know that last year you got off on my being banned, referred to me as a "troll" (what's that about name calling?), and obviously (and hilariously) misunderstood the concept of a "time out" as opposed to an "expulsion".

I also know that you have a hard on for LE and they can do no wrong in your eyes.

Black lives matter, stupid.

JSantoro
10-28-15, 15:25
Each of you is beautiful in his own way.

Knock it off, please.

G19A3
10-28-15, 15:40
MOD EDIT:

To whom it may concern,

"Knock it off" does not say again not translate, freely or literally, into "Post just once more, then stop."

Dionysusigma
10-28-15, 15:48
We fight over lube and coatings, I thought...

wait that sounded really bad

Would a full replacement set of springs effectively bring round count back to "zero?" Or would something like the extractor/etc. need changing as well?

ramairthree
10-28-15, 17:16
With my example,
And I am guessing from the pics of many of the others,
The round counts on these models had to have been damn close to zero.

Any more info on what type of agency they came from?
Lots of office time with little car or foot time seems to be the case with mine.

DirectTo
10-28-15, 18:10
I'd agree with the above post. If I didn't have to tear into it anyway to replace the NY trigger spring, I wouldn't have bothered with a full spring kit. I wouldn't even say it was "carried a lot, shot little".

I will say the spring in the mag it came with feels incredibly week, but has fed flawlessly for range sessions. I've got a spare I can replace it with before dropping it into the carry lineup for my Gen 4.

I did order some Talon grips just to try them out on my Gen 2s.

Eurodriver
10-28-15, 21:19

Would a full replacement set of springs effectively bring round count back to "zero?" Or would something like the extractor/etc. need changing as well?

Fortunately, from my limited sample size (5) these appear to have been shot very very little. I'd imagine a thorough cleaning and inspection is all these need, but in full disclosure I replace all of the springs anyway. This is mainly due to the need to get rid of the stupid NY trigger; since I'm ordering parts anyway I might as well get a recoil spring too.

kenny256
10-28-15, 22:07
I will try to get some pics up soon.

I had the slide redone in aged bronze, the Frame had a slight gouge on the rear of the frame.

The slide hasfd sme minor wear but that has been changed now.

The sight are like new trijicons! So that was a very nice upgrade, I did purchase the hand pick option.

It had the ny1 trigger in it, I put a oem spring in it and the trigger feels just fine now.

I did have the arame stippled and it feels great in the hand. If I had the money I would buy another!

Gary1911A1
10-30-15, 09:38
'

I would keep the original machined steel extractor if it's not chipped rather than replace it with a MIM part.

brushy bill
10-30-15, 11:08
'

I would keep the original machined steel extractor if it's not chipped rather than replace it with a MIM part.

With these being so close to blue label pricing for new, the only reason I would even consider one is that they do not (should not) have MIM extractor, locking block, striker, etc. unless they have been "upgraded."

ramairthree
10-30-15, 15:55
Yeah, these are no bargain over new or used later gens.

They are a great way to get a very good example with little use if you prefer the 2nd gen frame and don't use a light for your uses with it.

sjc3081
10-30-15, 20:44
I don't know if these are NYPD guns,but NYPD got a large batch of G19s that were jammomatics that suffer phase three malfunctions.

DirectTo
11-14-15, 11:39
Gen 2 17s and Gen 3 19s now available. I'd link but I'm on my iPad and it's sometimes uncooperative with page jumping.

flanntastic
11-14-15, 15:47
I don't know if these are NYPD guns,but NYPD got a large batch of G19s that were jammomatics that suffer phase three malfunctions.

they come from the state of NY but not NYPD

ramairthree
11-14-15, 22:18
Thank you for the heads up. Neither of my local FFLs is on the list when you try to checkout though.

They were not open today so I will do what I did for a 19,
Give them a call. They have my closest FFL right on file but not when you buy on the Internet for some reason.

I will probably have the new spring, mag release, slide release, and cut down done before I throw out the box it comes in.

flanntastic
11-14-15, 22:20
buy it, then have your dealer send over the ffl with your order # on it

ramairthree
11-14-15, 23:39
The online cart wants me to pick a dealer before I check out.

When I called for a 19 they just looked up the name and already have them on file.
But I cant check out on the computer because they are not a choice.

flanntastic
11-15-15, 06:52
The online cart wants me to pick a dealer before I check out.

When I called for a 19 they just looked up the name and already have them on file.
But I cant check out on the computer because they are not a choice.

We probably have their ffl, but they didn't choose to be listed. Check out without selecting anybody and then pm me their info

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2

ramairthree
11-15-15, 09:13
Yes, you guys do. Had it right on file a few weeks back when I got a 19.

I finally figured out I could skip selecting an FFL and manually type it in. d'oh!

Thank you for the offer to help, I appreciate it.

Gen 2 Glocks, Warmly exuding a sense of a better time when America was America. Guns were cool, good guys carried them and bad guys carried even cooler guns. You knew who the bad guys were and the president sent good guys to kill them, not the president snuck in bad guys to kill good people. Women had big hair and big boobs and not big attitude. It was OK for men to smoke cigarettes but not poles instead of the opposite. Get one know to remember the gold old days.