PDA

View Full Version : Looking to head back to Iraq...on my own terms. Contractors?

panzerr
07-29-08, 07:43
I know there are a few guys on this forum that have worked as contractors overseas and I'd like to tap them.

I'm looking to head back to Iraq, but this time on my own terms.

I did my time with combat patrols and would rather not do security outside the wire, but wouldn't rule it out. I've heard training Ugandans or other TCNs in security operations pays well... I've looked into KBR, but they don't pay all that well comparatively. Any suggestions?

Iraqgunz
07-29-08, 08:36
Can you elaborate a little more about your military time? Iraq has changed quite a bit and the old days of Tier 1 Spec Ops only is pretty much gone. There are still PSD gigs, but things have shifted quite a bit to static gigs where you supervise TCN guards and they don't need HSLD guys that want alot more than the current rate. If you can avoid KBR I would do so at all costs. They treat their people like children and it can be hard for those who play by big boy rules.

There are also training gigs here where you train Iraqi security and police, but again it's all background related. MPRI and DynCorp is one of the more well known here doing this and they are generally looking at E-6 and above or commissioned officers. Here are a few others in Iraq;

1. Blackwater
2. Triple Canopy
3. SOC-SMG
4. EODT- had been hiring alot lately
5. Aegis Defense
6. SAIC

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that come to mind off the bat. Hopefully this will give you some thoughts and ideas. I personally believe that in addition to have a solid background the resume is probably most important. You need to be able to sell yourself and convince someone to hire you over Joe Blow.

panzerr
07-29-08, 08:48
I don't have a super awesome military record. I did an extenda-tour as an infantry squad leader in Al Anbar doing everything from combat patrols to route clearance to operating ECPs. I also have a Bosnia tour under my belt. Civillianwise, I'm a residential housing contractor.

I spoke with several guys that worked with Aegis. They didn't seem to have any problems with their employer, but I'm hesitent to work for a foreign company.

I've heard similar things about KBR and have no desire to subject myself to such treatment again (got enough of that from the army).

SOC are the guys that trained the Ugandans. I'll have to look into them.

thanks for the help!

Iraqgunz
07-29-08, 08:53
Panzer,

I was also in Anbar as a contractor though (twice). I also worked for SOC and we don't just train Ugandans. We train them to be our TCN guard force and we as Ex Pats supervise them. Aegis is a solid company and I know a few Americans working there. They are actually reluctant to hire Americans. They have an great rotation plan and the pay is more then decent.

All I can say is go to the websites and bang 'em a solid resume. Keep hounding someone and be persistent. These companies are more worried about guys that can function and do a job w/o going trigger happy at the drop of a hat.

I don't have a super awesome military record. I did an extenda-tour as an infantry squad leader in Al Anbar doing everything from combat patrols to route clearance to operating ECPs. I also have a Bosnia tour under my belt. Civillianwise, I'm a residential housing contractor.

I spoke with several guys that worked with Aegis. They didn't seem to have any problems with their employer, but I'm hesitent to work for a foreign company.

I've heard similar things about KBR and have no desire to subject myself to such treatment again (got enough of that from the army).

SOC are the guys that trained the Ugandans. I'll have to look into them.

thanks for the help!

Iraq Ninja
07-31-08, 13:12
Aegis is a solid company and I know a few Americans working there. They are actually reluctant to hire Americans.

:D

Gunz is correct. Aegis is reluctant to hire Yanks, but will have to hire more with a security clearance this year. Aegis will probably have to open a US branch, since a foreign based company can't hold US security clearances. This will probably mean that all US Aegis employees will now be employees with W-2 forms, etc. Should also mean that we will get health insurance too. The pro British attitude seems to be more the result of the current project director, and probably doesn't reflect Spicer's opinion.

Aegis now has the toughest physical fitness standards in the industry, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

CDDM416
07-31-08, 14:52
I just got off the phone with my son, he is a firefighter in Springfeild MO.
He passed the interview and is getting his passport to go to Irac, Has anyone here heard of Wackenhut, that is who is hireing him to be a firefighter over there, Im trying to find out a little about them,,

Iraqgunz
07-31-08, 16:03
They have the fire protection contracts for most if not all the bases in Iraq. I see them here in the Green Zone all the time. They seem to have a pretty good gig going. I believe that they are paying from 90K-130K a year. It's probably a standard 1 year contract with R/R every 4 months or so. Good chnace to do something different and make some good money doing it.

I just got off the phone with my son, he is a firefighter in Springfeild MO.
He passed the interview and is getting his passport to go to Irac, Has anyone here heard of Wackenhut, that is who is hireing him to be a firefighter over there, Im trying to find out a little about them,,

CDDM416
07-31-08, 17:50
Iraqgunz: Thanks alot for replying, that is pretty much the info i got from him.
I just wanted to find out if if was a good contractor to work for, I think its a great thing for him to do, he will have his job plus will prolly be moved up to capt. when he gets back, thanks agian,

andre3k
08-01-08, 09:15
Scheduled to head to training for Dyncorp in September then over to Iraq two weeks later. I'm going the Civpol route though. I just hope that my PD will give me a leave of absence so I won't have to quit and then rehire when I come back.