PDA

View Full Version : Problems chambering some rounds

JCast265
09-29-15, 12:31
I recently swapped barrels on my Savage .308 to an Er Shaw 24" Sporter profile, followed all the steps and used the included go and no-go gauges and everything worked fine. Started testing some rounds and 2 of my factory loading seat fine, nice and easy to close the bolt on and my 3rd factory loading requires a bit of force. I checked again with the go and no-go gauge and they still show headspacing to be right. Would you feel safe if this was your rifle? What are my choices other than trying to back the barrel out 1/8 of a turn or so?

The 2 loadings that chamber and seat fine are Black Hills 168gr BTHP and Hornady CustomLite 110gr SST. The one that poses a problem is Hornady 150gr BTSP.

colt933
09-29-15, 12:42
Might one load be jammed into the lands?

T2C
09-29-15, 13:20
The barrel may have been cut with a short leade and the projectile could be engaging the rifling as you chamber the Hornady 150gr BTSP.

If the headspace is properly set I would not back the barrel out to accommodate a projectile that engages the rifling when chambered, you could run into unsafe headspace issues. I would also avoid firing a round that requires you to force the bolt closed.

If you have access to a bullet comparator and dial caliper you can determine if the distance to the bullet ogive is longer on the problem cartridge. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746974/ptg-bullet-comparator-22-24-25-26-28-30-calibers?cm_vc=ProductFinding

JCast265
09-29-15, 14:06
The 150 is shorter than the 168 BTHP but it doesn't appear to be as tapered all the way down to the neck as the other 2 loadings, it kind of comes straight up from the neck and then tapers to the point whereas the others are tapered from the neck.

When I say hard to close it's really the last half of lowering the bolt handle where there is a little resistance so actually easier than what I had remembered, certainly not true 'force' just different than the others

T2C
09-29-15, 15:33
Cover the projectile's bearing surface with magic marker, smoke from a burning Styrofoam cup or anything that will rub off when the cartridge is chambered. You should see a distinct mark where the material rubs off and that will tell you what is binding.

Personally, I would not fire a fully loaded cartridge with the projectile touching the rifling. If I have a rifle that favors projectiles touching the rifling, I start with reduced charges and work the charge weight back up toward maximum while looking for signs of high pressure.

I measured the lengths of the listed factory cartridges from the base of the brass to the bullet ogive for comparison. They are listed short to long.

Federal 180g Trophy Bonded - 3.068"-3.070"
Sellier & Bellot 150g SP - 3.120" - 3.123"
Hornady 155g A-Max - 3.163" - No Variance
Federal 168g Match (White Box) - 3.169"-3.177"
Remington 180g Core Lokt SP - 3.187"-3.188"
Federal 168g GMM (Red Box) - 3.197"-3.200"

You can see that the lengths of the listed cartridges varied in measurement by .132" and is probably why the leade is cut long on massed produced rifles. A match chamber would usually have a shorter leade or free bore.

JCast265
09-29-15, 18:23
Makes sense, thanks for the help on this. Think I'll probably just trade boxes of ammo with a buddy of mine that way I don't risk it.