PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a Silver Star, or maybe something HIGHER?!?!

ABNAK
09-30-15, 11:23
Sergeant First Class Alwyn C. Cashe, United States Army, distinguished himself by exceptional gallantry in action in the face of violence while serving as the platoon sergeant of 1st Platoon, Alpha Company (Hard Rock) 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, based at FOB Mackenzie, Salah a Din Province, Iraq.

On 17 October 2005 , SFC Alwyn Cashe's heroic actions saved the lives of six of his fellow soldiers. At approximately 1915 hrs, his platoon departed the forward operating base along Route Jaime to conduct a route clearance operation along a supply route that ran through the town of Duliaya; a town adjacent to the FOB.

After traveling about 4-5 kilometers, the lead Bradley fighting vehicle, of which SFC Cashe was in the gunner's hatch, struck a vehicle detonated IED emplaced across the route at grid MC 25377243. The blast ignited the fuel cell causing fuel to spew throughout the vehicle, igniting a fire and causing the vehicle to roll to a stop. Also, from the forward left flank of the blast site, the platoon received enemy small-arms fire.

Soaked with fuel himself, SFC Cashe managed to dismount from the vehicle and assist the driver, SPC Howe, whose uniform was on fire. SFC Cashe extinguished the flames on SPC Howe.

Six soldiers and an interpreter were in the troop compartment of the burning vehicle. Flames had engulfed the vehicle and were darting from the weapons ports. One of the soldiers in the back of the vehicle attempted to open the hatch door in an attempt to help the soldiers escape. The flames intensified and everyone inside was aflame. Without regard for his personal safety, SFC Cashe rushed to the back of the vehicle, managed to help open the door and began to pull the soldiers out, one at a time. In doing this, the flames totally gripped his fueled soaked uniform causing severe, painful burns. Despite this pain, he bravely continued to pull his troops out of the vehicle and feverishly worked to put their flames out. As the chaos continued, SFC Cashe noticed that the platoon medic was still inside. He rushed back to the vehicle, reached through the flames and pulled out the medic. All this despite being on fire himself.

Within moments, a trail vehicle arrived and assisted with the CASEVAC. Although severely burned, SFC Cashe bravely continued to take control of the situation as best he could. Shortly thereafter, the company first sergeant, 1SG Chris Mackenzie, accompanied by medics and other soldiers from the company arrived and began to evacuate the severely burned soldiers, the worst of which was SFC Cashe. The FOB helipad served as the LZ/PZ for the air evacuation. Badly burned, all six soldiers were alive when they were air evacuated. The interpreter did not survive the blast and was immediately transported to the battalion morgue.

Throughout the nightmarish ordeal, ten soldiers were injured. Six of the ten were treated at the Balad Hospital. Five of those six, including SFC Cashe were later evacuated through Landstuhl to the burn center in San Antonio, Texas. Sadly, over the next few weeks, four of the six died of wounds.

Despite being the most severely injured with 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 72% of his body, SFC Alwyn Cashe endured while his soldiers were alive. He suffered through painful surgeries, infections, organ failure and loss of body parts as he continued to be the consummate Platoon Sergeant to his soldiers. SFC Alwyn Cashe died of his wounds on 8 November 2005. He was the last of those so severely injured that terrible night to die.

Guy was awarded the Silver freakin' Star for this! Can you believe it? There is nothing more fear-invoking to a human being than fire, let alone actually BEING on fire and still continuing to function. My hat is off to this man. RIP soldier.

soulezoo
09-30-15, 12:12
Yeah, have to agree that is CMH material there.

RIP...

Sergeant First Class Alwyn C. Cashe, United States Army, distinguished himself by exceptional gallantry in action in the face of violence while serving as the platoon sergeant of 1st Platoon, Alpha Company (Hard Rock) 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, based at FOB Mackenzie, Salah a Din Province, Iraq.

On 17 October 2005 , SFC Alwyn Cashe's heroic actions saved the lives of six of his fellow soldiers. At approximately 1915 hrs, his platoon departed the forward operating base along Route Jaime to conduct a route clearance operation along a supply route that ran through the town of Duliaya; a town adjacent to the FOB.

After traveling about 4-5 kilometers, the lead Bradley fighting vehicle, of which SFC Cashe was in the gunner's hatch, struck a vehicle detonated IED emplaced across the route at grid MC 25377243. The blast ignited the fuel cell causing fuel to spew throughout the vehicle, igniting a fire and causing the vehicle to roll to a stop. Also, from the forward left flank of the blast site, the platoon received enemy small-arms fire.

Soaked with fuel himself, SFC Cashe managed to dismount from the vehicle and assist the driver, SPC Howe, whose uniform was on fire. SFC Cashe extinguished the flames on SPC Howe.

Six soldiers and an interpreter were in the troop compartment of the burning vehicle. Flames had engulfed the vehicle and were darting from the weapons ports. One of the soldiers in the back of the vehicle attempted to open the hatch door in an attempt to help the soldiers escape. The flames intensified and everyone inside was aflame. Without regard for his personal safety, SFC Cashe rushed to the back of the vehicle, managed to help open the door and began to pull the soldiers out, one at a time. In doing this, the flames totally gripped his fueled soaked uniform causing severe, painful burns. Despite this pain, he bravely continued to pull his troops out of the vehicle and feverishly worked to put their flames out. As the chaos continued, SFC Cashe noticed that the platoon medic was still inside. He rushed back to the vehicle, reached through the flames and pulled out the medic. All this despite being on fire himself.

Within moments, a trail vehicle arrived and assisted with the CASEVAC. Although severely burned, SFC Cashe bravely continued to take control of the situation as best he could. Shortly thereafter, the company first sergeant, 1SG Chris Mackenzie, accompanied by medics and other soldiers from the company arrived and began to evacuate the severely burned soldiers, the worst of which was SFC Cashe. The FOB helipad served as the LZ/PZ for the air evacuation. Badly burned, all six soldiers were alive when they were air evacuated. The interpreter did not survive the blast and was immediately transported to the battalion morgue.

Throughout the nightmarish ordeal, ten soldiers were injured. Six of the ten were treated at the Balad Hospital. Five of those six, including SFC Cashe were later evacuated through Landstuhl to the burn center in San Antonio, Texas. Sadly, over the next few weeks, four of the six died of wounds.

Despite being the most severely injured with 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 72% of his body, SFC Alwyn Cashe endured while his soldiers were alive. He suffered through painful surgeries, infections, organ failure and loss of body parts as he continued to be the consummate Platoon Sergeant to his soldiers. SFC Alwyn Cashe died of his wounds on 8 November 2005. He was the last of those so severely injured that terrible night to die.

Guy was awarded the Silver freakin' Star for this! Can you believe it? There is nothing more fear-invoking to a human being than fire, let alone actually BEING on fire and still continuing to function. My hat is off to this man. RIP soldier.

chuckman
09-30-15, 14:20
It sure sounds like MoH material to me. I am no MoH expert but I recall reading somewhere that there was a great deal of vetting, etc., and many people initially recommended get "downgraded."

SteyrAUG
09-30-15, 14:52
Certainly more deserving of a MoH than guys like MacArthur who got one for "leadership."

It's a shame he wasn't given one while still alive. I think I'd rather be shot at than be on fire. I simply can't imagine. Part of me is concerned that somebody doesn't want to publicize this tragedy with a MoH ceremony. Obama is probably happier awarding them to the decedents of "overlooked" minorities from days past.

Averageman
09-30-15, 16:41
That is a Bad Ass and a true example of selfless Leadership. Definatly deserves the MOH.

MAUSER202
09-30-15, 17:51
Wow, what an incredable human being. MoH is most definitely deserved.

26 Inf
09-30-15, 18:51
I am just proud to know of him, and that he was an American Soldier.

My only thought Silver Star v. MOH was that he wasn't actually engaged with the enemy at the time of his selfless exploits.

If I read the account correctly, at least one of those he pulled out survived, I hope that soldier appreciates SFC Cashe's sacrifice and makes his life an example.

Continue to RIP Hero.

SteyrAUG
09-30-15, 19:19
I am just proud to know of him, and that he was an American Soldier.

My only thought Silver Star v. MOH was that he wasn't actually engaged with the enemy at the time of his selfless exploits.

If I read the account correctly, at least one of those he pulled out survived, I hope that soldier appreciates SFC Cashe's sacrifice and makes his life an example.

Continue to RIP Hero.

Thanks for mentioning it, I often forget the tiny details. And as much as this guy was as deserving as anyone from a "heroic actions" standpoint, I think there is some merit to keeping the MoH very exclusive.

R0N
09-30-15, 19:20
The reason it would probably not raise to the medal of honor level is the SFC as noted was battling the effects of enemy and not the enemy. If he would have done what he did under fire, it would have been a much easier sell for the medal of honor.

It is very similar to Carlos Hitchcock's SS for pulling wounded out of a burning track.

ABNAK
09-30-15, 19:38
The reason it would probably not raise to the medal of honor level is the SFC as noted was battling the effects of enemy and not the enemy. If he would have done what he did under fire, it would have been a much easier sell for the medal of honor.

It is very similar to Carlos Hitchcock's SS for pulling wounded out of a burning track.

Gotcha. I forgot about the fairly narrow guidelines for the MoH, but jeez, a DSC perhaps? I'm in awe of such a man.

IIRC the article did mention an ambush being sprung by the IED. "Also, from the forward left flank of the blast site, the platoon received enemy small-arms fire."

ABNAK
09-30-15, 19:40
Certainly more deserving of a MoH than guys like MacArthur who got one for "leadership."

It's a shame he wasn't given one while still alive. I think I'd rather be shot at than be on fire. I simply can't imagine. Part of me is concerned that somebody doesn't want to publicize this tragedy with a MoH ceremony. Obama is probably happier awarding them to the decedents of "overlooked" minorities from days past.

Yeah, you think Obama would've been all over this (probably one of the VERY few things he's done I'd agree with) as the guy was black. However, it was kinda early for Obama's watch, and yet didn't break the century mark so it wouldn't be of interest to him. :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
09-30-15, 23:18
Gotcha. I forgot about the fairly narrow guidelines for the MoH, but jeez, a DSC perhaps? I'm in awe of such a man.

IIRC the article did mention an ambush being sprung by the IED. "Also, from the forward left flank of the blast site, the platoon received enemy small-arms fire."

I think more than any specific decoration, it's more important that he is remembered, honored and respected for his actions. It's a shame that we don't hear about these guys as much as we do when the pope says something that really doesn't matter.

ABNAK
10-01-15, 05:38
I think more than any specific decoration, it's more important that he is remembered, honored and respected for his actions. It's a shame that we don't hear about these guys as much as we do when the pope says something that really doesn't matter.

I concur. I hadn't heard of this before I read it the other day. No doubt there are other extreme acts of gallantry that we'll never hear of.