PDA

View Full Version : Dying Polymer Framed Firearms

26 Inf
09-30-15, 19:17
Hold off guys, don't spray the napalm jet and ignite, I did some search-fu before posting.

Here is my problem, I have several M&P pistols (work guns) which are going to full time use as non-lethal training ammunition weapons (Simunitions/ATK Force-on-Force ammunition).

Just because, I would prefer not to paint the frames blue.

However, my reading has lead me to believe that dye won't work on black polymer, as it won't show up.

I may have missed a workaround, if so I apologize, but is there a workaround?

Thanks

Inkslinger
09-30-15, 19:31
Generally speaking, from a strictly art based opinion, you can't really turn black to blue. You usually need to use a darker color to change or cover one. I don't know if it's possible to bleach the polymer. I would just paint them, at least you could return them to original if you wanted.

Firefly
09-30-15, 20:08
Krylon?

usmcvet
09-30-15, 22:58
Yup. Krypton is cheap and works well. Reapply as necessary. whyndo they need to be blue? We have blue G17's but I wouldn't mind using a conversion kit. The reason we went with the G17T's was cost. They were more affordable than the drop in kits especially when you need to either dedicate a regular gun to the system or do the conversion for training.

26 Inf
09-30-15, 23:02
Yup. Krypton is cheap and works well. Reapply as necessary. whyndo they need to be blue? We have blue G17's but I wouldn't mind using a conversion kit. The reason we went with the G17T's was cost. They were more affordable than the drop in kits especially when you need to either dedicate a regular gun to the system or do the conversion for training.

Problem is that all agencies don't issue Glocks, so we have to keep a variety of dedicated weapons for this training. And you are right, the conversion kits are ungodly expensive, plus Simunitions has not yet produced conversions for many of the newer striker fired pistols.

Thanks for the replies, I just did not want to paint them, I guess I can.

10-01-15, 01:57
What about a DIY hydrodip kit? Buy one to test out.

Shao
10-01-15, 06:32
Just Cerakote it. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself (I am), send it in somewhere. Everyone I know with Cerakoted polymer components are happy with the end result.

usmcvet
10-01-15, 11:37
I don't think you need them to be blue. As long as you follow the proper safety procedures there will be no live guns or ammo present and it does not matter what color the guns are. You could put blue painters tape around the grips. it will not damage or permanently alter them.

PD Sgt.
10-01-15, 16:39
I have seen where training guns have had slides painted blue and the frames left black. I think it is probably easier to do and it is easier to strip the guns in case they need to be put back in service as a firearm for some reason.

jpmuscle
10-01-15, 17:10
I don't think you need them to be blue. As long as you follow the proper safety procedures there will be no live guns or ammo present and it does not matter what color the guns are. You could put blue painters tape around the grips. it will not damage or permanently alter them.
True. But Murphy is a b*tch nonetheless.

dwhitehorne
10-01-15, 17:45
We have dedicated Sims guns. The pistols (USPc) are black with the blue FX tape wrapped around the handle. The MP5 just have the blue muzzle insert. I painted the M4 furniture blue last because we have one 9mm Sims upper that has a blue barrel and 5 M4s with only the blue BCGs. I wanted them all to look the same as the Sims upper. All mags have blue FX tape or are painted blue. Never have a problem with safety. No live guns are allowed out of the cars when we train. Check outside the building. Check again in the safe area. Keep a Safety Officer at the door with only one way in/out AND no "white shirts" allowed to observe. David

SteyrAUG
10-01-15, 18:08
I have seen where training guns have had slides painted blue and the frames left black. I think it is probably easier to do and it is easier to strip the guns in case they need to be put back in service as a firearm for some reason.

+1

Strip slides, cover sights with tape and BRIGHT Blue paint, repeat as needed. Sure if you are really safe and responsible you could get away with not painting them or just blue tape. But painting slides doesn't cost anything and makes things just a little harder to screw up.

26 Inf
10-01-15, 23:01
Thanks for the comments.

MistWolf
10-01-15, 23:06
Wait- this isn't about polymer firearms becoming extinct?