PDA

View Full Version : Question about Knight's BCGs.

HansTheHobbit
09-30-15, 20:40
Will Knight's Armament BCGs work in a standard AR? I asked this question, and Knight's told me that they couldn't recommend using them in any rifle except their own, so I'm guessing that means that they do but Knight's won't say so for legal purposes.

So, has anyone ever tried it?

P2000
09-30-15, 21:38
The E3 bolt will not interface with a standard barrel extension. I tried once, it won't work / won't fit.

However, a standard BCG will work with the KAC barrel extension, although IIRC it isn't recommended long term.

og556
09-30-15, 22:19
I was under the impression the carrier was a standard m-16 carrier on the SR 15. Is this not the case ?

I know the SR16's get carriers with sand cuts on the rails but I was unaware of any other differences in the carrier.

P2000
09-30-15, 22:21
I was under the impression the carrier was a standard m-16 carrier on the SR 15. Is this not the case ?

I know the SR16's get carriers with sand cuts on the rails but I was unaware of any other differences in the carrier.

Correct, the carrier is standard. But the OP was asking about the BCG.

HansTheHobbit
09-30-15, 22:42
The E3 bolt will not interface with a standard barrel extension. I tried once, it won't work / won't fit.

However, a standard BCG will work with the KAC barrel extension, although IIRC it isn't recommended long term.

Thanks, bud, that's what I needed to know. Does anyone know of a high performance bolt that will work with a standard barrel extension?

P2000
09-30-15, 22:53
Thanks, bud, that's what I needed to know. Does anyone know of a high performance bolt that will work with a standard barrel extension?

If you want something fancy, LMT enhanced. Others are out there, but I can't separate the marketing from the facts. I remember one such manufacturer that had a slew of broken bolts on the interwebz, which was later announced to be a defective batch.
I personally just run a standard bolt in my AR-15's (aside from my SR-15). I give the bolt a good look under bright light every time I clean, checking for cracks or other damage. If I ever spot something weird, in the trash it goes.

HansTheHobbit
09-30-15, 23:21
If you want something fancy, LMT enhanced. Others are out there, but I can't separate the marketing from the facts. I remember one such manufacturer that had a slew of broken bolts on the interwebz, which was later announced to be a defective batch.
I personally just run a standard bolt in my AR-15's (aside from my SR-15). I give the bolt a good look under bright light every time I clean, checking for cracks or other damage. If I ever spot something weird, in the trash it goes.

Thanks again! Looks exactly like the Knight's Armament. Do you know of any testing that's been done on them? Of course I have a serious hard on for LMT, so that's perfect.

P2000
09-30-15, 23:32
Thanks again! Looks exactly like the Knight's Armament. Do you know of any testing that's been done on them? Of course I have a serious hard on for LMT, so that's perfect.

I've only done a cursory search about them. Never considered spending that much on just a bolt, for my needs. Especially after reading about filthy 14 ect.

KAC and LMT have always seemed to have some type of relationship. For example I believe KAC uses LMT RE's. And the lobster tail extractor seen on the E3 and enhanced bolts appears to be the same design. Coincidence?

HansTheHobbit
09-30-15, 23:45
I think LMT might be the absolute best AR on the market. I would be willing to spend 170 on a bolt if it's the last bolt I have to buy. It bugs me that mil-spec bolts only last 6k rounds.

Iraqgunz
10-01-15, 00:52
Not sure where you got that 6K number, but it's far from correct or definitive. I have a few bolts that are almost twice that number. Several more are close to 6K as well.

If you want a solid no BS BCG that has something extra, look at the SIONICS Weapon Systems NP3 BGC. MILSPEC components with enhanced extractor spring with the addition of NP3 coating.

I think LMT might be the absolute best AR on the market. I would be willing to spend 170 on a bolt if it's the last bolt I have to buy. It bugs me that mil-spec bolts only last 6k rounds.

HansTheHobbit
10-01-15, 01:08
Not sure where you got that 6K number, but it's far from correct or definitive. I have a few bolts that are almost twice that number. Several more are close to 6K as well.

If you want a solid no BS BCG that has something extra, look at the SIONICS Weapon Systems NP3 BGC. MILSPEC components with enhanced extractor spring with the addition of NP3 coating.

I'm not saying they won't last longer, but if a lug cracks at 6k no one is going to cover that under warranty. I'm interested mostly in improved lug design. I would really prefer a bolt that I never had to worry about.

R0CKETMAN
10-01-15, 04:51
I'm not saying they won't last longer, but if a lug cracks at 6k no one is going to cover that under warranty. I'm interested mostly in improved lug design. I would really prefer a bolt that I never had to worry about.

Spending 2k on ammo would suggest one could afford a $70 bolt

Failure2Stop
10-01-15, 08:30
6k on a bolt relates back to 10.5" Mk18s with suppressors and heavy firing schedules.
15k on a standard AR bolt with a 16" or longer barrel that isn't getting a heavy diet of high pressure ammo isn't unusual.
The other question is what does one consider to be bolt life?
The point at which a lug is lost, a crack develops, or a crack showing a specific amount of propagation?
You would lose a whole lot of standard bolts at under 5k if appearance of a crack under MPI was the failure criteria.

HansTheHobbit
10-01-15, 13:39
Spending 2k on ammo would suggest one could afford a $70 bolt

It's not about saving money, it's about having one less major thing that's likely to go wrong. With a mil spec bolt, you know that it's likely to go bad sometime during the rifle's lifespan. It could happen at 6k, or it could happen at 10-15k, you just never know. If you have a bolt that you know is going to last as long as the gun, or at least as long as the barrel, then it's just peace of mind. You can replace your springs and such proactively because they're cheap. Extractors show obvious wear before they start causing malfunctions. But no one wants to spend sixty bucks on a new bolt before they know they have to, which is when a crack appears. That's just inviting a malfunction due to a broken bolt lug, which isn't really acceptable for a home defense gun, at least not if it can be avoided.

R0CKETMAN
10-01-15, 14:59
It's not about saving money, it's about having one less major thing that's likely to go wrong. With a mil spec bolt, you know that it's likely to go bad sometime during the rifle's lifespan. It could happen at 6k, or it could happen at 10-15k, you just never know. If you have a bolt that you know is going to last as long as the gun, or at least as long as the barrel, then it's just peace of mind. You can replace your springs and such proactively because they're cheap. Extractors show obvious wear before they start causing malfunctions. But no one wants to spend sixty bucks on a new bolt before they know they have to, which is when a crack appears. That's just inviting a malfunction due to a broken bolt lug, which isn't really acceptable for a home defense gun, at least not if it can be avoided.

appears contradictory:confused:....if you're losing sleep..stop:stop:.. replace the bolt every 6k... and drive on

HansTheHobbit
10-01-15, 15:19
appears contradictory:confused:....if you're losing sleep..stop:stop:.. replace the bolt every 6k... and drive on

If there's a better way to do something, then that's the way I'm going to do it, even if it's a little more expensive. Besides, if it lasts as long as people claim it does, then I'll be saving money in the long run. Which is usually what ends up happening when you do things right in the first place. Funny how that works...

Sexual_Meatball
10-14-15, 03:29
KAC/LMT work closely together. KAC's SR25 lowers come from LMT. even the KAC bolt carrier [is] the same as LMT's (or at least it looks that way). however the magpul lowers are by s&w.