PDA

View Full Version : NiB, NP3, or just a regular M16 BCG?

Skyyr
09-30-15, 21:15
Last time I built an upper, the FailZero BCG's seemed to be all the rage. Doing some forum research, it seems those have fallen out of favor? What about NP3? The lubricity of the NiB and NP3 BCG's seems like a nice selling point and would appear to reduce wear.

Any advice on which type/brand of BCG?

MegademiC
09-30-15, 21:57
Last time I built an upper, the FailZero BCG's seemed to be all the rage. Doing some forum research, it seems those have fallen out of favor? What about NP3? The lubricity of the NiB and NP3 BCG's seems like a nice selling point and would appear to reduce wear.

Any top tier brand phosphate or np3 bolt (sionics). This means bcm, lmt, colt, noveske, dd, etc. Sionics makes a bolt in this category but puts np3 on it.

I would recommend against nib bolts based on what I've seen.

I'm sure I'm missing some, and chrome is good too, but don't know of any good ones other than dd iirc. I'd use that no problem.

Screwball
09-30-15, 22:22
My BCG is Melonited, so no experience with ones done in any of the platings... but have experience with NP3 Plus.

It is a good finish, and really corrosion resistant. I have my S&W 642-1 (backup gun) and Remington 870 Police (bed gun) done in it, and been very happy with both. I have other firearms and parts done in CCR's CPII, and I'll say that playing is good to go, as well.

BillBond
09-30-15, 22:26
IMO just a regular M16 BCG is all you need.

Coal Dragger
09-30-15, 22:49
Whatever you go with just keep some decent lube on it, and it will work just fine for a very long time.

Iraqgunz
10-01-15, 01:00
The SIONICS NP3 BCG is solid. We use all MILSPEC componets (Carpenter 158, HP/MPI tested, enhanced extractor spring, correct fasteners, etc..) with the addition of the NP3 coating. We do not recommend running them lube free, but you can certainly use a lot less lubricant.

You essentially get all the benefits of a standard BCG with the addition of NP3 for corrosion resistance, and ease of cleaning.

brianc142
10-01-15, 07:46
Phosphate is fine but NP3 is nice. I would stay away from NiB.

Skyyr
10-01-15, 08:10
Phosphate is fine but NP3 is nice. I would stay away from NiB.

What is it about NiB that is to be avoided, specifically? I read about it potentially retaining carbon generating "failure points," but that seemed to be more hypothetical than an actual encountered scenario.

SomeOtherGuy
10-01-15, 08:19
Megademic and Brianc, you said to stay away from Ni-B bolts, but didn't give any detail. Can you elaborate? Stuff you've personally seen or read about?

Sample size of 1 but I've been running an AIM cheapie NiB bcg in a beater competition rifle for over a year with no issues at all, and not one jam since it was new. I do keep it oiled just like a phosphate bcg. Clean up is easy, although the NiB seems to yellow or darken over time, which I assume is from carbon and is purely cosmetic. I'm curious what other issues have been seen.

MegademiC
10-01-15, 08:44
Early failure seems more common from experiences of people who have had them on this forum. I tested a failed bolt and there was a lot of cracking on the lugs. It's a very hard coating.

Maybe the base bolt was bad,
Maybe the coating was done incorrectly,
Maybe the coating contributed.

I don't know for sure but I'd rather stick with some in with a better track record. Also, I could not clean the carbon off with alkali or ultrasonic in hexanes. I had to strip the coating to get it silver again. It's also damn near acid proof from what I could tell.

Renegade04
10-01-15, 09:04
IMO just a regular M16 BCG is all you need.

I will agree with this. A standard phosphate coated M16 type BCG is all one really would need. As far as M16 type NiB BCGs go, I am using a few. One is a WMD NiB-X and the other two are AIM Surplus NiBs. I have zero issues with them. One thing I do like about them is the ease of clean-up. The NiB BCGs also have slightly less friction that the phosphate coated BCGs have and they makes for smooth operation. PSA also has a nice M16 type NiB BCG. With some NiB BCGs, there have been some issues with the coated coming off. You really want to make sure you go with one of good known quality. Of course, like many things, you can always get a bad one, even one from a company well known for good quality.