PDA

View Full Version : Convert my Mauser 98?

crittergetter
07-29-08, 18:18
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this. I have a "sporterized" (stock cut down) German Mauser 98 in 8mm that my father bought "new". To me, this rifle has no real value as it is. I was thinking of converting it to a tactical/bench rifle. Has anyone here done that? I'm looking for info resources (what barrel to use, what calibers are compatible with the bolt, etc.) and any pros or cons of such a project. If I do decide to convert it, I will be rebarreling for a different caliber, replacing the stock, having it drilled and tapped for scope rings, and upgrading the trigger. Any info or opinions are more than welcome.

M1A2_Tanker
07-29-08, 19:04
Here is some good info on the 98.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

On the right side in the tan side-bar are some good articles including a 2 part series on rebuilding and accurizing .

wlptpd3
07-30-08, 07:11
I did exactly what you are asking about approx. 10 years ago, Bought a 98K rifle and had it rebarreled with a heavy contour 18" barrel to .308, mounted a long eye relief 2 3/4 power Burris scope in an Ashley scout scope mount and I use a synthetic stock with a leather 1903 sling. The rifle itself is a bit heavy probably attributed to the barrel contour my smith used but it will shoot 1/2 groups all day long at 100 yards, actually when it was first assembled a buddy of mine who shoots Highpower service rifle fired a group with it at 100 yards from sandbag rest and you could cover his three shots with a dime. I had mine done back when the scout rifle concept was the new thing at the time, It is a good project and probably wont kill your wallet. I am happy with my rifle and what if does, I can talk with my gunsmith if you want and get specific parts list if you require same.

JStor
07-30-08, 12:04
I would build it into a hunting rifle. To build a precision rifle, I would go with a more rigid action. For precision you would want a match grade barrel and probably a fiberglass stock like a McMillan, so you will be much further ahead sticking with a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 action or one of many custom actions such as Surgeon, Stiller, Turbo, Bat, Nesika, Borden, etc.

But it depends on how much you plan on spending. Precision and cheap are rarely found in the same description. However, this is just my opinion on these matters, and I wish you luck in your project.

crittergetter
07-30-08, 17:03
thanks for the info guys. I did some research and ran into the Shaw website. Looks like decent prices on their smithing. Anybody have any experience with them?

Army Chief
07-31-08, 00:48
I'm not sure it would make the most sense to transform the 98k into a bench rest rifle, simple because you're talking about changing out so many components and effectively dialling-out everything that makes the Mauser a Mauser. I am, however, a fan of re-working these rifles for hunting, as evidenced by this small ring '98 that has become my primary boar gun (photo jacked from my previous post in the Sport Utility Bolt Gun thread).

http://www.m3resource.com/images/karabiner.jpg

While this particular 98 actually started out as a G.33/40 carbine, and not a true 98k, some of my all-time favorite hunting arms are cut-down 98ks. The Germans work wonders with these old rifles, and it's not at all an expensive process. The end result is a compact, stable, hard-hitting sporter that will serve your great-grandsons well. Unlike most, though, I would also retain the 8mm chambering. I realize it is not altogether common in the States, but the more I use it, the more impressed I am with it against ... well, pretty much everything that moves.

Chief

McQ68
07-31-08, 12:25
It sounds like all that would remain from your original rifle is the old, possibly worn Mauser action. Every other piece would be replaced, which includes gunsmithing. I've read many reports on the new entry level Savages, with their improved triggers, that are very accurate, for not much money. I'd be willing to bet, that after all the gunsmithing your action would require, your "new" gun would end up costing quite a bit more than a new Savage. But, if all you want to do, is a project with your old gun and make it personal and "I did it myself", then that's what you need to do. Add $.98 to my $.02 and it makes a whole dollar.:D